PDA

View Full Version : Problems

Tony Perrotta
09-05-2001, 07:03 PM
Hi every one.
I am still having problems with controlling the water. When I paint wet in wet it is bad (cauliflower garden). I want to stick to dryer painting but am left with hard edges. Should I give up and change mediums. I am using 140#CP paper. Need help bad.
I am still working on posting after my first failure with that. I have to get the equip. to post.Not all my work turns out bad just 50-75% I don't think that is acceptable.Looking for some opinions.

Thanks Tony

Javier
09-05-2001, 09:24 PM
Tony, the 'cauliflower garden' is caused by wet running into paper that is starting to dry. Here is an experiment to see what is happening: take a strip of paper and wet (with just clear water) strips across it (maybe ten) all wetted 1 minute apart and don't let them touch one another. Now get some color and put a dab into each one as fast as you can. Some will be soft, some will 'cauliflower', and some will be hard.

Hopes This Helps,

walden
09-06-2001, 08:59 PM
Hang in there, don't give up! A couple of hints-- fresh paper takes paint differently than already painted paper, so a lightly glazed underpainting can help. The layering also creates a richer, deeper effect. Also, even if you think there's a problem, you're usually better off to just let it dry instead of fooling with it, then glaze it again if it needs it. Finally, don't be afraid to use lots of paint, and when working wet into wet try to keep the paper evenly wet and the different color mixtures equal in the amounts of pigment they contain. The blooming problem is a mixture too weak in pigment going back into a dryer, heavier area.

T-Rex
09-06-2001, 10:10 PM
Tony, more to have to think about - and don't you dare give up,please, this is part of the process for all

you have 3 sponges to consider and be conscious of

your brush
your paper
your blotting sponge or paper towel, whichever you use

If there is less water on the paper, the brush water will be sucked onto it

If there's less water on your brush, it will be thirsty and suck water from the paper

of course, your sponge unless completely soaked will absorb from your brush

Dilemma for us all to remember and figure out.....part of the experience

My immediate guess is that you have too much liquid in your brush at times, therefore it backruns on the paper (if its drying) - try to get into the habit of squeezing a bit of water from the brush, even w/ pigment loaded, to be on the safe side,

Remember what areas are wet, they will be cold to the back of your hand - we are all in the same boat and have the same problem, but that's the joy of it too, good luck......Karen

Tony Perrotta
09-07-2001, 09:03 PM
Thanks for everyones comments,

You are all right, I have much to much water and not enough pigment on my brush. When I think of Watercolors I think of water not paint, and when I hear the word wash, I think of the washes I use to weather the Armor models I build, which is about 1 part paint to 200 parts thinner.(not that I am trying to WC paint that way!). But now that you all have mentioned it I realize, That was the problem. I am going to do quite a few experements over the weekend and hope that I learn from them.

Thanks again, you guys are invaluable.

Tony P.

Rod
09-08-2001, 07:51 AM
The method should really be called " Not so wet into wet"
The paint you are applying must not be as wet or watery as wash you are applying it to.
A good habit is to either shake your brush or dab it on tissue after you have dipped it into the water and then pick up your paint,
Rod.

david ward
09-11-2001, 07:12 PM
One point is if 75% fail then 25% are successful - I'd be happy with that for starters. Is the glass half full or half empty?

David