04-15-2004, 11:29 AM
a newly one
oil on canvas, 16 x 20 inches
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/15-Apr-2004/1089-powers_TheHealer.jpg

annadetail ...
whatcha think?

kelly
04-15-2004, 11:34 AM
Hmmm...this is nice...seems like a bit of a poem in this one. Something about this is very different that I like. But, im not smart enough to figure it out ;)

Michael-Ann
04-15-2004, 11:45 AM
I like very much...it is the flower who is the healer? It is to me :)

heh
04-15-2004, 11:47 AM
getting better
the flower “fits” more in this than the other
more cohesive

somewhat troubling image
the pretty world trapped in a prison
with mean shadows approaching infinity
but it seems so natural
the dark always finds the light
light perhaps heals the dark
we have to take some things “as is”
and love both the good and the bad of it
joyfully beautifully trying

Tamana
04-15-2004, 12:04 PM
Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh a soft, quiet place where ray of sun and shadow of shade play peacefully together. Getting back to our own roots quietly for replenishment. Some meditation with and nurture after the drain of world and people and busyness. It's what we all need come the end of a long day, hour, moment; to nurse in the arms of mother nature.

Lovely paintwork, as always. :)

somerset
04-15-2004, 01:26 PM
Wow! Talk about divergence! Only the careful, lush colors betray your hand's involvement; otherwise I never would have that this might have been from you.
I love the power of primitive and this socks in me in the gut!

terry roberts
04-15-2004, 01:29 PM
I like they way you were able to capture the mood on the man's face, it somehow pulls the flower in to the overall composition of the painting.

axxxel
04-15-2004, 05:24 PM
it rocks :cool:

muchfoolishness
04-15-2004, 07:28 PM
hmmmmmm
where is ms jnet off to?
making the subject work as hard as her colours?
pushing things beyond knowing
i love the background device
light and dark furrows and shadows
what is it to heal?
what is it to be healed?
where is sickness?
beautiful storytelling
its a great painting

arourapope
04-16-2004, 12:50 AM
I just ran into an article about the domestication of plants. The current theory now is that it took about 1000 years of combined hunter/gatherer together with cultivation of crops before agriculture really took hold. I wonder a lot about the relationship between human and plant and how that's affected our current paradigms, our religions, our traditions, our superstitions. And the healer, your healer.... wow. The plant knows what's going on. The human has a book that tells him (her?) how to tap that knowledge.... And I guess the truth of it all is really just in the plant (where he's not looking, silly man), not the book. The book can only guess. Fantastic translation of a complex relationship, Jeanette. I don't know if I'm reading stuff into this, but this piece really works into the reading I've been doing and the questions I've been groping with. Thanks.

Smileawhyl
04-16-2004, 01:22 AM
Compassionate perspective
redemption of pollenation
it's the soul beneath the skin
of your literal figurative paintings

jnet11
04-16-2004, 12:37 PM
kelly- you silly kid, I'm glad this appeals to you however mysteriously

michael-ann- I meant the flower to be the healer, but had a dream that we as humans might heal nature, too *grin*

heh, my daffodil, thank you for your honest words "light perhaps heals the darkwe have to take some things “as is”and love both the good and the bad of it " this is just what I meant ... there is much we would consider 'dark' about nature, but we are part of that -to deny it is to deny our place.
most of the time I don't believe in darkness
the chinese proverb:

a man's horse runs away
the neighbors say "it is so bad!"
the man says "is it good or is it bad?"
the horse returns with a group of wild horses
the neighbors say "it is so good!"
he says, "is it good or is it bad?"
the man's son is breaking the new horses
falls and breaks his leg
the neighbors say "it is so bad!"
the man says "is it good, or is it bad?"
the government comes around to draft men
for the war, the son cannot go due to the broken leg
the neighbors say "it is so good!"
the man says "is it good or is it bad?"

tam: I think you must feel as I do :D

somerset: wow, thank you. This is not so odd for me, it's just these stories never make it to paint, and are always in my sketchbooks ... check this link if you haven't seen it before http://heinrich.wetcanvas.com

terry: thanks, interesting you see a man, I meant androgeny ... it can go either way.

axxxel: so glad to see you once again :)

much: "making the subject work as hard as her colours" yes yes yes ... although I fancy my portraits to be working hard to tell stories too.
"what is it to heal?
what is it to be healed?
where is sickness?"

you inspire me

aurora: wow. yes, those are just the type of feelings I was thinking with this ... so interesting to think of the 'domestication' of plants as well, I generally think in terms of wildlife ... but our symbiosis is a great metaphor too. I've found in life that nature has healed me more thouroughly than anyone else ... just to be in a tree is worth a thousand hours in the shrink's office. The direction of the eyes in this piece insinuates a third presence, the figure looks at the ground, where the flower springs from, but the flower looks to the sky, where we all spring from originally.

smile: you made my day, thank you :)

surreal
04-16-2004, 03:17 PM
Nice one, J!

At first glance the face reminded me of one of AmyH's faces.
:)