PDA

View Full Version : I blew it!

Zonnestraaltje
04-15-2004, 10:26 AM
And now I think I will go and try to blow it again!!!!

With all the talk and inspiration from those of you that have been posting blown vessels....I was so motivated to try it myself, and I am just tickled with my first attempt! After some more practice with technique, I will focus on design...but for now...here's my wonky little blue vessel.

It measures 1 1/2" from top to bottom. I used only clear glass, but with the frit, it turned it a lovely blueish color. The stopper makes it a little wobbly, so I think I need to redo the stopper. I used 1/4" stainless steel tubing for the mandrel.

Tink
04-15-2004, 10:41 AM
Yayyyyyyyyyyyyyyy! Isn't it FUN???? Nice job!

Jacinthe
04-15-2004, 10:43 AM
WOO WOO! Name it 'That Blown Vessel!'

Hee hee hee hee hee hee

Hugs from Holland,
Sarah :evil:

chocolatier
04-15-2004, 10:45 AM
Good for you....wow.....Here's my question I have a small blow pipe....how do I use it? I have always wanted to blow glass and sugar too....

Thanks,

Linda G.

www.vermontchocolate.com

Zonnestraaltje
04-15-2004, 11:31 AM
Well...I'm not sure about the blow pipe, so maybe if you give some specs, more experienced people like Tink can give you more info.

I can talk about the tubing I used though. It's rigid stainless steel tubing with a 1/4" outer diameter. I just dipped the end in my bead release and blew out the excess from around the hole....let it dry good before use. The length of the tubing I used was 12 inches...so it was basically just a bigger, hollow mandrel. I had no trouble with it getting hot while I was working the glass, and since it was hollow, it wasn't too heavy to handle either.

Thanks for the encouragement everyone! I am excited to try it again soon. :D

latitude40
04-15-2004, 12:26 PM
Go, Rachel! :clap: Did you just follow the instructions in the Spotlight on Hollows & Vessels?
I'm just itching to try this myself! Gotta pick up some brake lining at Auto Zone!
BTW, did you know there's a blowing studio in Lancaster? He's offering several classes this year thru PA Guild of Craftsmen.

Karen

blazinghussy
04-15-2004, 04:03 PM
Rachel, that rules! I know it's sort of wonky, but I love that about it! :) The whole thing just looks great :)

Kel - jealous because she can't blow yet, but will soon be teaching herself how ;)

!Karen
04-15-2004, 04:06 PM
WOO WOO! Name it 'That Blown Vessel!'

Hee hee hee hee hee hee

Hugs from Holland,
Sarah :evil:

LOL Snicker...good one Sara

Lapislazuli
04-15-2004, 04:35 PM
And now I think I will go and try to blow it again!!!!

With all the talk and inspiration from those of you that have been posting blown vessels....I was so motivated to try it myself, and I am just tickled with my first attempt! After some more practice with technique, I will focus on design...but for now...here's my wonky little blue vessel.

It measures 1 1/2" from top to bottom. I used only clear glass, but with the frit, it turned it a lovely blueish color. The stopper makes it a little wobbly, so I think I need to redo the stopper. I used 1/4" stainless steel tubing for the mandrel.

:clap: :clap:
Hi Rachel, first time and vassel it had left beautiful. You must be proud. How he did it? he wanted to learn the technique and until now not where to look for.
Lapislazuli

:rolleyes: :rolleyes:
Hi Rachel, primera vez y el recipiente le quedó hermoso. Debe usted estar orgullosa.
Cómo lo hizo? quisiera aprender la técnica y hasta ahora no se donde buscar.
Lapislazuli

Zonnestraaltje
04-15-2004, 06:31 PM
Well...I don't have the spotlight on hollows or vessels....I kind of just went from memory from someone else's previous post about a month or so ago. I basically just took the glass off the end of the tube in a little arrow-head kind of shape. I made another one today...I hope it will be less wonky! LOL!

Okay...I did a search, and here's an old thread, but a very informative one: http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=120257&highlight=blown+vessel I couldn't find the one that originally inspired me though :(

Karen!!! I miss you!! I hate that I missed out on the recent trip to the Berks Bead thingy.

Briatha
04-15-2004, 08:55 PM
Kewl Rachel!! I hope you will bring your blown vessels to the next meeting so we can do some up close and personal drooling :evil:

BurningScentsations
04-16-2004, 12:00 AM
Rachel,

Congrats on your first blowing project.

I tried blowing a piece last week, and it was a lot harder than I thought, but with a little practice anything is possible.

Looks like you're well on your way! Keep the pictures coming!

Lloyd