PDA

View Full Version : April 15th- SHOW AND TELL

lisilk
04-15-2004, 04:50 AM
Morning everyone,

Hope all of the U.S. folks are not too busy today finishing their taxes and screeching off to the post office to show off the days work.

Here are a few I just got back from the dry cleaners. I was still in my dark mood here but it's getting bright again. These are all 54" X 9" silk charmeuse. The problem with this kind of fiber arts is you can't show and tell until about 10 days later. LOL.

What did you do today ?

Li :p

SuzyQ
04-15-2004, 07:12 AM
Those are lovely! You really have a way with design.

I know about waiting days to see a finished project. I have many of those sorts of art endeavors. Do something, wait, do another thing, wait.....lol. It appeals to the nurtuing side of us, huh?

diane555
04-15-2004, 08:21 AM
mornin' all

What little free time I have right now is spent stitching my new piece...a portrait in fabric of impressionistic painter Berthe Morisot. Bobby did the sketch of her after we watched a documentary of the Impressionists and I've been doing the fabric part. Was planning to start a WIP thread of her since he took so many pics :)

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/15-Apr-2004/4220-berthe-002.jpg

Di

beclectic
04-15-2004, 08:36 AM
So much beauty so early in the morning. What a treat.

Li, you'll have to laugh at me. I looked at your first scarf and thought "Oh... that is georgeous, I'm sure that will be my favorite today." Then I looked at the second scarf and thought "I love those colors and the leaves blowing in the rain, I like that too." Then I looked at the third and fourth scarves and thought "Leaves, I love leaves and the black one is so elegant looking, that's my favorite." Then I looked at them all again and decided I just loved them all and I couldn't pick.

Di, your portrait is stunning. You and Bobby are an amazing team.

joycerenee
04-15-2004, 09:39 AM
Li, you make the most incredible scarves I have ever seen!! :clap:
I don't know which one I like the best! Do you sell them online anywhere?

Di, your Morisot piece is beautiful! Do you hand stitch or machine? Please do show more!

Joy

GardensOnGlass
04-15-2004, 10:02 AM
Li, your work is beautiful. I think the second scarf is my favorite (love the colors). Are those leaves or jalapenos? First I thought leaves, but then I wasn't sure. Maybe I'm craving Mexican food for dinner!!

Di, I agree, it must be wonderful to be part of a team! I wish my husband showed even a smidgen of interest in what makes me smile, let alone work alongside me.

Keep the eye candy coming!!!

TurtleBay Jewelry
04-15-2004, 11:02 AM
Li, you never fail to amaze me with your gorgeous scarves. I like the second one best, but then again, I'm always attracted to jewel tones.

Di, my favorite artists are the Impressionists. It's an exquisite piece of work you have there!

As for my show and tell today, I whipped it together in record time, but then again, I'd been considering this arrangement of beads for a while, and when I baggied them, I knew right then what to call them.

The lampwork is from our very own forum bench maker, Michael! The white with blue polka dots bead is matte glass from Java and the blue dangle is a Czech wedding bead. A cowrie shell also hangs in the balance. ;)

Today's submission: The Blue Sails Bangle

~D.

artbabe21
04-15-2004, 11:29 AM
Li...these are absolutely GORGEOUS! What a way you have w/design! Have you done an article on the process? I almost got into silk painting once at a trade show but resisted... :crying:

Di...OMG, I saw that documentary and loved her story!:) Your fabric portrait is STUNNING! How do you 'paint' her facial features? I'm SO impressed!! :)
You two ROCK!! How many hours? Are your edges raw or not?

Danielle, your bracelet is absolutely WONDERFUL! I love the style of these & they look so comfy to wear!!

DonnaBee
04-15-2004, 11:33 AM
Li, Di and Danielle! These are heartstopping, all!

Excellent, thanks for showing them. :) You have put me in a good creative mood...

jacki
04-15-2004, 12:00 PM
Nice! Lots of fiber today :clap:
Li beautiful scarves----I really like the pattern in the leaves! ind the shading in the dragon tail is lovely! Dont you just hate to have to wait so long to get things back from the dry cleaners. do your pieces change very much in the cleaning? You are just removing the gutta right?
with mine, i am removing wax, that often carries stains from the dye, and also other resists that hold stains, so when i get mine back they have sometimes changed quite a bit.
Diane--Wow! Such rich color and so inticate! I would love to see how you manage to stich with such control on such a large piece! Do you show your pieces in a gallery? How large is this one?

Well, I should go take a picture of something fibrous :)

jacki
04-15-2004, 12:06 PM
Danielle, It took me so long to hit send, I totally missed your bangle! Nice color scheme! Your bangles are always so nice!

jacki
04-15-2004, 12:10 PM
duplicate post

TurtleBay Jewelry
04-15-2004, 03:08 PM
I'm on a roll today! I got another bangle done and photo'd.

Once again, the lampwork in this bangle is by our own Michael Callihan. I got great bead combo's from him! There's also a green Vaseline bead on here and a Bali focal paired with one of Michael's beads. The usual Bali and Grecian Spacers, a HillTribe dangle and Indian silver bells tinkle along the perimeter.

The unveiling of the Jester's Magic Bangle:

:) ~D.

artbabe21
04-15-2004, 03:13 PM
Once again, the lampwork in this bangle is by our own Michael Callihan.

Wow....gorgeous!! The name sure fits too!! :)
Where do we find this magical lampwork bead maker???? Is he a frequent poster?

beclectic
04-15-2004, 03:19 PM
I'm on a roll today! I got another bangle done and photo'd.

Once again, the lampwork in this bangle is by our own Michael Callihan. I got great bead combo's from him! There's also a green Vaseline bead on here and a Bali focal paired with one of Michael's beads. The usual Bali and Grecian Spacers, a HillTribe dangle and Indian silver bells tinkle along the perimeter.

:) ~D.

While both bangles are great and the names are fun, everything about the Jester's Magic Bangle just knocks me out. :::THUD:::: :clap: :clap:

TheBlueBetween
04-15-2004, 03:28 PM
What a colorful day tax day is today ;)

Beautiful bracelets Danielle! I thought the first one was great... but then the second one showed up and I think it's even better.

Great silks Li - I just love your sense of color and design. I keep seeing you fold them and they look like pants - I think they would make fantastic pants - they look very loungy and comfy.

And wow, great quilted portriat Di! My grandmother does some wall hangings that I think I should photograph and show one of these days - I think you would like them. No portriats of people, but lots of nature. It's nice that it was a colaboration too - you two make a great team!

Well, back to working on my deep blue sea project - it's coming along "swimingly" now - I'm loving it :) I have it as a work in progress on my web site in the Web Journal - don't look if you were hoping for an unveiling on the 22nd... though I'm not sure it will be done by then - I have visions of a whole coral reef growing on it... so we will see!

Shirley C.
04-15-2004, 03:46 PM
woweeeee!! great eye candy today!

li, your scarves are really luscious! i wouldn't be able to pick a favorite.

diane, your skill amazes me. i'm a long-time lover of art quilts, and your work is stunning.

danielle, love your bangles. but you knew that... :D the second one really speaks to me.

lisilk
04-15-2004, 04:01 PM
Thanks for commenting Donna, Jacki, Suzy, Cath, Barbara, Joy , Lori, Pam, Danielle and Shirley C. You notice I had to start this at 1 a.m. to beat all you east coast folks. LOL.
Cath, I am working on an article right now for this forum and mixed media.
Joy- I hope to finally have a website in the near future.
Lori- they're supposed to be leaves but you can call them jalapeno's if you want. LOL.
Jacki- I do work with wax resist too some times and you're right....you never know what's coming back from the dry cleaners. I gave up on perfection when I took up with dyes. LOL.

Pam...I peeked.It's beautiful..

Diane- WOW- you and Bobby make a fantastic team. I've never seen anyone design pieces the way you two do. Gorgeous.I saw that documentary as well. She was the first woman to be accepted in the Impressionist shows.

Danielle- I'm guessing the first is going into some project very soon ? It screams...day at the beach.I love the second one. ( Purple and grenn again ) It's very fun and sexy at the same time.

Cheers,

Li

TurtleBay Jewelry
04-15-2004, 04:46 PM
OK, I'm a thread piggie today..Oink Oink!!

This is the last of the Michael Callihan Beanie Beads on the workbench for today. I have more beads by him, but this is all I'm accomplishing today. Ian's due to wake up here shortly, and I better get dinner and laundry going!

;)

This bangle is titled, "My Provence"...the lavenders and sky blues reminded me of my favorite place in the European world...standing amid a field of lavender in Provence, France. Michael's beads paired beautifully with the Bali flowered focal, some new blue recycled organic glass from Ghana and soft pastel (and darker purple to make things POP!) Grecian spacers. Enjoy! The mysterious lampworker will have to appear soon or ppl won't believe he's real! /nudges Mike...

~D.

artbabe21
04-15-2004, 05:26 PM
Wow....gorgeous!! The name sure fits too!! :)
Where do we find this magical lampwork bead maker???? Is he a frequent poster?

Danielle...perhaps you missed my question? :) I am looking for lampwork beads

lisilk
04-15-2004, 07:04 PM
OK, I'm a thread piggie today..Oink Oink!!

This is the last of the Michael Callihan Beanie Beads on the workbench for today. I have more beads by him, but this is all I'm accomplishing today. Ian's due to wake up here shortly, and I better get dinner and laundry going!

;)

This bangle is titled, "My Provence"...the lavenders and sky blues reminded me of my favorite place in the European world...standing amid a field of lavender in Provence, France. Michael's beads paired beautifully with the Bali flowered focal, some new blue recycled organic glass from Ghana and soft pastel (and darker purple to make things POP!) Grecian spacers. Enjoy! The mysterious lampworker will have to appear soon or ppl won't believe he's real! /nudges Mike...

~D.

Love the colors Danielle. Very pretty. You've been a busy bee today.

Li

River's Song Art Jewelry
04-15-2004, 08:26 PM
Everyone's work is fabulous!! A rush of color. :clap: I've been busy --here is a bracelet I just completed. The pink focal bead is by Trey Cornett.

Bonnie Jane

lisilk
04-15-2004, 09:55 PM
Welcome to Wetcanvas and the Wearables Forum Bonnie !

That bangle is beautiful, very royal !

IF ANYONE WOULD LIKE TO SEE HOW DIANE555 MAKES HER AMAZING FABRIC COLLAGES, CHECK OUT HER DEMO.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=69861

Prepare to OOOOH and AHHHHH.

Li

Alethia Donathan
04-15-2004, 10:50 PM
Beautiful work everyone!!!!
Here's my correction to the piece I showed in the Monday show-n-tell. I've changed the way I connected the pendant. Seems to lay better this time. :)

Alethia

Before..... http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/15-Apr-2004/10944-Twistnpearl.JPG

and after......http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/15-Apr-2004/10944-Twistnpearlrev.JPG

Andee
04-16-2004, 06:39 AM
Wow, great S&T! :clap:

Li - Fantastic scarves! I don't wear any, but if I would - the black one would be my fave!

Di - *thud* Unbelievable piece, I'm totally in awe!!

Danielle - I love those bangles, and especially The Blue Sails Bangle - the colours really do it for me!

Bonnie Jane - Lovely bangle, I can't help thinking of blackberries!

Alethia - I liked the necklace how it was in the first place, but now it's even better!

mjcall
04-16-2004, 07:47 AM
Danielle...perhaps you missed my question? :) I am looking for lampwork beads

I guess I have to fess up to being the mystery lampworker. Danielle I'm glad my beanie beads (AKA orphan beads) found a good home. I love what you have done with them and I am proud to have my beads part of your work.

A word of explanation, I make beads as a hobby and have no plans or desire to sell them. Being new to lampworking I have been making a lot of beads with no specific end product in mind, just part of the learning curve playing with colors and designs. I like Danielle’s Bangles a lot and it occurred to me that she might be able to make some use of these beads that were just lying around filling up a cigar box. I sent Danielle a number of these orphans with the hope that she could find a use for them. I must say that I am delighted with the end results. These bangles do my humble offerings proud.

Here is a black and white set I made for the DW.

http://www.pbase.com/image/27035157.jpg

Mike Callihan AKA M_

beclectic
04-16-2004, 08:48 AM
<snip> A word of explanation, I make beads as a hobby and have no plans or desire to sell them. Being new to lampworking I have been making a lot of beads with no specific end product in mind, just part of the learning curve playing with colors and designs. <snip>
Mike Callihan AKA M_

Mike all of your beads I have seen are beautiful. This set is especially impressive for it's detail work, uniformity of size and various designs comprising a whole. If you are a beginner you are a very talented one. Beautiful work, thanks for sharing it with us.

jacki
04-16-2004, 01:03 PM
Danielle, you are on a roll! great bangles yesterday :clap:
you have made such a nice showcase for Mikes beads. :)

Bonnie, Nice!! Very pretty colors too.

Alethia, I really like what you did with the Focal, it seems to frame it better.
Absolutely beautiful.

Mike, your beads are beautiful, and this is your Wifes jewelry? right?
You make the perfect team!!
Even though you dont sell them, we can still enjoy looking a them :D

MadameKali
04-16-2004, 06:37 PM
*MadameKali shyly peeks out* hi, all :)

I guess I got here in time for the show and tell. I just finished making a handflower that a friend of mine commissioned. I haven't been doing maille very long, about a month. I think my progress is coming along okay--but I've made some ugly stuff in the interim!

I really enjoy all of your beadwork. I hope I learn a lot.

http://f1.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/orangetigress/detail?.dir=/fb33&.dnm=b69d.jpg this is a link to the handflower. The image was too big to put here, and unfortunately this computer has next to no image editing software :(

beclectic
04-16-2004, 08:04 PM
*MadameKali shyly peeks out* hi, all :)

I guess I got here in time for the show and tell. I just finished making a handflower that a friend of mine commissioned. I haven't been doing maille very long, about a month. I think my progress is coming along okay--but I've made some ugly stuff in the interim!

I really enjoy all of your beadwork. I hope I learn a lot.

http://f1.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/orangetigress/detail?.dir=/fb33&.dnm=b69d.jpg this is a link to the handflower. The image was too big to put here, and unfortunately this computer has next to no image editing software :(

So that is what a handflower is. Very pretty, I like the link to the ring a lot.

There is a freeware program that lets you change the size of images. It is called Irfanview and can be downloaded from tucows.com (http://www.tucows.com/preview/194967.html)

Welcome to Wearable Art.

mjcall
04-17-2004, 07:46 AM
Mike, your beads are beautiful, and this is your Wifes jewelry? right?
You make the perfect team!!
Even though you dont sell them, we can still enjoy looking a them :D

Jacki

Yes this is my DW's jewelry in the sense that it is hers’ to wear. :D While it would be nice to have a live in collaborator like Alan I am the only jewelry maker in the family. I started making beads as an extension of my desire to make jewelry.

M_

Barrie
04-17-2004, 09:46 AM
I was trying to figure out what a handflower was as I was reading the post, and WOW!! That is gorgeous! Beautiful work. Are they comfortable to wear? Well, anything with chain maille gets my vote, but this is a really cool design!! Keep up the great work!

MadameKali
04-18-2004, 12:13 AM
Handflowers actually are very comfortable to wear, if you don't pay attention to them sliding around--they won't stay in pretty picture perfect position ALL the time. I have one that I made myself (it isn't nearly as pretty as the one I posted, I could even put it in the fugly contest), and I love wearing it, as clumsy as it is--it makes me feel pretty and unique. I'm trying to sell them, since right now I don't have any other way to pay my rent, but Ebay seems to be slow of late :p

Thanks for the software link! I just downloaded it :)

diane555
04-18-2004, 08:21 AM
Beautiful work everyone! I love that these are all so unique and not something that you'd see 200 of lined up on the department store counter :)

Lisilk: Amazing work...love those leaves! Do you work only in silk or cotton as well? :D

Di

Beads-Me!
04-19-2004, 01:11 PM
Beautiful work all! I was so busy getting ready for the Fire and Ice show last week that I couldn't come and play... :(