PDA

View Full Version : What's your opinion?

JulieBoyles
04-14-2004, 01:58 AM
Hi everyone,

I've been wanting to do this piece for about 2 years now, (Oh my goodness, has it been that Long ago! :crying: ) and am finally able to do it now that it won't take me 6 months to complete in Colored Pencil. I would like to get some feedback on these backgrounds. I started out with a very very dark background then changed it to the light one. The reason is simply to do something different, I ALWAYS do dark backgrounds. I've worked with this light BG for a week now and am starting to think that the darker brown BG will be better. What do you think?? :confused:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/14-Apr-2004/21314-F2TexturePost.jpg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/14-Apr-2004/21314-Gtexturepost.jpg

Here's the reference:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/14-Apr-2004/21314-BoylesReferencePost.jpg

Thanks for your help!

Julie

flowerfancy58
04-14-2004, 02:46 AM
Julie,
There's no contest here. The dark background looks so much better:) This is going to be a wonderful piece!

gloria:)

brianc
04-14-2004, 09:24 AM
Actually, I like the lighter background better. I think because it provides a clear edge of the left child. It also looks more realistic, like a curtain. When I see the reference photo, the even darker background is also very exciting. The second background seems to lose the edges of the children.

justjean
04-14-2004, 10:21 AM
Which ever way you go it looks like it's going to be a wonderful painting

ExpressMark
04-14-2004, 10:59 AM
Hi everyone,

I've been wanting to do this piece for about 2 years now, (Oh my goodness, has it been that Long ago! :crying: ) and am finally able to do it now that it won't take me 6 months to complete in Colored Pencil. I would like to get some feedback on these backgrounds. I started out with a very very dark background then changed it to the light one. The reason is simply to do something different, I ALWAYS do dark backgrounds. I've worked with this light BG for a week now and am starting to think that the darker brown BG will be better. What do you think?? :confused:

Thanks for your help!

Julie

Hi Julie,
The Lighter Background does it for me. Here is why, I felt my eyes doing battle with areas of the piece with the dark background, but with the lighter background it seemed to stay on the central focus.

BTW, beautiful piece!!!

ExpressMark
MBStudios

themanda
04-14-2004, 02:42 PM
i, personally, just like a darker background on everything. :)

on this piece, i sort of like the golden hue to the background matching the gold in the children. makes it very warm and earthy. the light background, while very nice in adding definition to the kids, makes it seem to 'fluffy' to me or something.

Jet
04-14-2004, 03:20 PM
I'd go to a simpler (simplified ?) version of the golden background, but it's hard to decide so far;
The beauty of doing digital is, having the power for keeping the background on a separate layer and just choosing backgrounds when the foreground is finished.

Regards

JulieBoyles
04-14-2004, 07:32 PM
I thank you all for your opinions! :clap: I really respect and value all of your ideas! You all have valid points for each background. So did the other art critics around here, (husband, kids, and neighbor kid. ;) ) It seems that it is a split decision. Here's my thinking on this. First of all, Jet you hit the nail on the head when you said the good thing is we can change our background at anytime. The problem is that I really should decide now between dark and light since that will really effect the skin tone values and colors.

That was another reason for thinking of changing light to dark. I thought the darker background would really make the skin tones "sing" :music: . I've put both up on my wall and it doesn't seem to make a difference at this stage. Brian, you are right about some of the edges getting lost. I was trying to get a sort of lost and found edge going here, but it seems that you're right, the back of his head looks like its missing.

I really want this piece to be a main portfolio piece. I was thinking that I "always" do dark backgrounds, but they're all in colored pencil.!! And besides that, it just doesn't look like "mine" if it's a light background. Soooo, I think I'm going to make one more background and make it even darker than the brown one. I'll post the new version when I get some more done on the portrait.

Thanks again for your thoughtful opinions AND for having the confidence in me that this will turn out allright! :D

Julie

LadyAlba
04-15-2004, 11:09 AM
Julie, since I prefer the deep contrast lol I say the darker one. Actually they look good on both I think it will come down to a personal preference by you. ;o)

GoldCoin
04-15-2004, 01:34 PM
Julia...

Toss my hat in with ..background just as dark as the pix. Puts the total focus on the chidren.
What a capture, no matter what you finally decide it will be a Winner!! :)

Chiers
04-15-2004, 03:04 PM
Julie, a bit late with my comment it seems but anyway....I love the picture and think that however you do this its going to be very good. My preference would be hands down the light background! I am just not real fond of a dark background for children. They have their own beautiful effects without adding the dramatic contrasts.

However you do it I am anxious to see the finished work! :clap: