PDA

View Full Version : hand tools, your favorite discoveries

SuzyQ
04-13-2004, 09:37 PM
I realized after reading LLane's thread about new tools that I should progress to new tools. I have been using the same starter set I bought back in the 80's. As I sit here in my sweatshirt with holes under each arm, frayed cuffs and collar and the big bleach stain on the front I'm thinking I tend to hang onto things a little too long, don't you think? Now that I am doing more jewelry and just completed 50 of the same necklace I think I can justify the cost. But....... what to get?! I looked through my rio grande catalog and I definitley want needle nose pliers that can go really small and I saw loop forming pliers that look like a dream come true. But, tell me, what cool tools are out there!

DonnaBee
04-13-2004, 10:32 PM
I am still using all cheapies. I would love to get some of those really heavy duty round nose pliers!

lisilk
04-13-2004, 10:54 PM
Good idea for a thread Suzy. Once you start getting more suggestions of folks favorite tools, it will probably be added to the Jewelers sticky so new comers know what to buy to get started.

Cheers,

Li

Emjay
04-13-2004, 11:13 PM
Most of my tools are Lindstrom which is a very good brand. I have some flat nose pliers and a pair of medium round nose pliers that are Swanstrom. I got those at a Kate McKinnon class, and really like their longer handles. I got some of the tools from Connie Fox's site, some from Kate and some from Rio Grande.
Years ago I started using regular old wide end tweezers dipped in Tool Magic to pick up small beads and place them where I wanted in a design. Now I'm all thumbs if I try that without them!

Charlee
04-14-2004, 01:14 AM
I'm using cheap but nice pliers I got at Hobby Lobby. The brand is Beadsmith. I had a German set, but didn't replace them after they were stolen (a huge and virulent pox on burglars!). This was posted on another group by someone researching tools. She called Rio to ask about Lindstrom vs. Swanstrom:

"...he talked to the technical people, who reported back that the main difference was that the regular lindstroms are smaller. the swanstroms apparently are closer in size to the lindstrom rx. & they said that the larger ones are more ergonomic than the smaller ones...that those who have issues w/their hands getting tired, etc., will do better w/the larger ones."

This makes sense. I just bought a pair of larger flat nose pliers at Sears (Craftsman Professional Precison Pliers #45668 $10) to use on some aluminum rings that were being difficult. I'm making DH a dice bag and those rings with my wee pliers were killing my hands. So far, so good. They have nice ergo handles.

I also have a pair of the cutters made for the stainless steel softflex/beadalon stuff made by Lee Jewelry & Craft Tools (http://leejewelrycrafttools.com/index.html). they work a charm! I didn't order from the site, but got them at a bead store.

I'm saving up for a set of Lindstrom Rx or Swanstrom. Haven't decided which yet.

Charlee

debkauz
04-14-2004, 11:38 AM
I have mostly fairly cheapie tools except for my Lindstrom regular and heavy duty wire cutters. One of my favorite tools is disposable hemostats from work. I soak them in a cleaner and then use them for ends of things if needed. IF anyone needs any, I can start saving some and send them to you. Just PM me and let me know.

Debbie