PDA

View Full Version : what happens when you're not up to the challenge...

Shirley C.
04-13-2004, 07:53 PM
so back in my former life (when i was attempting to be a quilter), i went into a local quilt shop to drool over the fabric. they had a quilt challenge posted on the walls and i just couldn't resist. the challenge was to make a quilted wallhanging in black, white, and one and only one color. that color could take up no more than 20% of the piece. so i raided my stash and set to work. but alas, i missed the deadline (typical me). a year or so later, i turned the unfinished project into a vest. looking at it now, there are definitely things i would change - but i still kinda like it and wear it from time to time. since we now have a wearable art forum, i thought i'd put it out here. sorry about the funky background...

Alethia Donathan
04-13-2004, 08:15 PM
Shirley,

It's beautiful and what a wonderful idea! I must admit that I too have a few unfinished quilt projects that got started from a challenge project. :D Every so often I do try to make an attempt at working on one of the quilts, but I'm so easily distracted by beads. It's the beads fault that I haven't finished!!!

Alethia

Shirley C.
04-13-2004, 08:34 PM
Shirley,
...It's the beads fault that I haven't finished!!!

Alethia
yep, that's my current excuse... for MANY things. :D

thanks for the comments, alethia! i'd love to see some of your quilted projects. your bead work is wonderful!

lisilk
04-13-2004, 08:38 PM
That's actually pretty cool Shirley. I bet the quilt was terrific. Black, white and red is always a classic and favorite combo.

Thanks for showing us your hidden talents ! :D

Li

Barrie
04-14-2004, 01:57 AM
Shirley!! That is gorgeous!!! I've avoided the whole quilting world like the plague! I cannot have another hobby, I cannot have another hobby, (mainly cause they all turn into work! LOL!) I'm always so impressed by you quilter people, and your infinite patience (missed deadlines or not!!).

ValorieCox
04-14-2004, 02:28 AM
I like it Shirley! You said you would change things if you could, what would you change about it?

Valorie

jacki
04-14-2004, 02:45 AM
Yeh! I like it too Shirley, nice balance and rhythm, I'll bet it's fun to wear!
There seem to be a lot of lampworkers with a "past life" in fiber! I'll bet there are lots of treasures to see:D
Thanks for sharing :)

Charlee
04-14-2004, 08:34 AM
Love the color combo - how cool you turned your project into something wearable! Can't imagine what you could change about it - but don't we always want to change our work? :D

Charlee

artbabe21
04-14-2004, 09:18 AM
Beautifully reworked into something you'll actually wear! :) I think it's a great idea for those of us w/closets full of fabric......mine is parred down to at least the past 10 years worth! I remember when I had lime green fabric from the 70's!! Ick!

beclectic
04-14-2004, 09:35 AM
I really like the vest. It is exactly something I would wear.

Since we are disclosing our past, I knit, crochet, embroider, quilt, spin, sew, paint on cloths, do carpentry, remodel homes (lay floors, do plumbing, dry wall, paint, stencil), arrange flowers, garden and who knows what else. A lot of unfinished projects occupy nooks and crannys of my storage spaces. One of the things I really like about jewelry making is that I finish what I start, I have even put pieces aside to work on other pieces and then gone back and finished the original pieces. I've never done that with anything else. I think that is one of the reasons I feel that jewelry making and bead making are the media for me.

I have found my niche and I'm sticking to it. I haven't let scrapbooking or anything else that looks enticing distract me. I am focused and I will stay focused. I say that to myself all the time and so far it has worked. :D :clap:

artbabe21
04-14-2004, 10:18 AM
I have found my niche and I'm sticking to it.

I am focused and I will stay focused. I say that to myself all the time and so far it has worked. :D :clap:

Good for you....otherwise it's a little of this & that and never the master of one thing! I struggle with this all the time...LOL

Shirley C.
04-14-2004, 11:10 AM
thank you all for your comments, i really appreciate it!

...You said you would change things if you could, what would you change about it?

Valorie
...Can't imagine what you could change about it - but don't we always want to change our work? :D

Charlee
well... i'd change the 2 large squares on the back of the vest (just below the coral line). too plain. i guess i got tired of piecing and just wanted to finish the dang thing. :rolleyes:

...I remember when I had lime green fabric from the 70's!! Ick!
oh yeah, lime green - i remember that! but you know, that could be a GOOD thing, used in moderation as a spark of color. i can see it with some dark colors like aqua, teal, moss green... oh no! i feel a fabric attack coming on - aarrrgghhhhh! :D

...Since we are disclosing our past, I knit, crochet, embroider, quilt, spin, sew, paint on cloths, do carpentry, remodel homes (lay floors, do plumbing, dry wall, paint, stencil), arrange flowers, garden and who knows what else. ...
um... barbara, are you for hire? :D

...One of the things I really like about jewelry making is that I finish what I start, I have even put pieces aside to work on other pieces and then gone back and finished the original pieces. I've never done that with anything else. I think that is one of the reasons I feel that jewelry making and bead making are the media for me. ...

that's me!! you wouldn't believe how many unfinished quilt projects i have around here. but jewelry? i finish it! and, like you, i put pieces aside and finish them after i've started and finished other jewelry projects. so i think i'll go work some more on my garden bracelet.

beclectic
04-14-2004, 03:29 PM
um... barbara, are you for hire? :D

I've done all those things and am still doing some but I have a lot, I mean a lot, of unfinished projects. I have shorts outfits I was making for my boys when they were 8 and 12. They are now 24 and 28. That should give you a clue to how much I can put something off. I do finish things for other people, just not for myself.

However, if you could pay me enough to quit my regular job and work for you and make a living doing all the things I love to do the answer is yes. :D