PDA

View Full Version : Rehoboth morning plein air

Pinecone Conniff
04-13-2004, 08:20 PM
I would like to post work I finished last week but since I am using traditional film, I thought I'd share this peice I did in September...

I painted this en plein air at Rehoboth Beach, Delaware on the morning after Hurricane Isabel. Little did I know that my friends back home on the Chesapeake were fighting an extremely high storm surge & major destruction!

I used a 1/4 sheet Light green LaCarte paper & Rembrandt & Sennelier pastels. Painting time was 2 hrs. on the beach.
Annette
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/13-Apr-2004/39721-rehoboth_morning.jpg

DFGray
04-13-2004, 08:37 PM
Hi Annette
I like your sky
regards
Dan

prestonsega
04-13-2004, 08:42 PM
Annette, this is beautiful,,,.....they way you have captured the sun glistening on the waves made me think of Winslow Homer.

PaulaCT
04-13-2004, 08:48 PM
Pinecone,

This is lovely. Your disciplined palette and paper choice really capture the eerie green-grey that air turns in weather like this. And I like how your light, loose strokes convey the whippy movements of wind and sea. You really nailed the mood.

I live in the southwest, but I had to travel to D.C. for a meeting that ended up being cancelled when the building shut down for Isabel. I couldn't believe the timing! The next day I drove with my friend down to the Virginia tidewater area to inspect the damage to her home. Here in New Mexico we never see weather like that. I will never forget the sound of snapping trees.

PaulaCT

sundiver
04-13-2004, 09:12 PM
Now THAT is an angry sky! And it's a beautiful, moody plein air painting.

CarlyHardy
04-13-2004, 09:16 PM
So glad to welcome another plein air painter to our forum!!

Great painting....I can feel the wind whipping around and the way the sunlight filters thru the clouds is great!

carly

Dyin
04-13-2004, 09:44 PM
I like that sky a lot, the mood is just great!

Susan Borgas
04-13-2004, 10:51 PM
Gee that is one wild and woolly scene with plenty of drama........ it had me thinking that you would have had your eye on the scene for more reasons than painting it :D .......like ducking for cover along with all your pastels ;) .

Pinecone Conniff
04-13-2004, 10:57 PM
Thank you everyone for the comments! I really do love to paint skies...
Preston--I am thrilled that you were reminded of Winslow Homer!! I don't think I'll stop smiling for a week!! :) :) :)
Annette

Stoy Jones
04-13-2004, 11:18 PM
Hi Annette, I have to agree, you caught the mood just perfectly! When living in Florida, hurricanes were common and the day after was always eerie...so I'm getting the same feel here as well. Excellent job!

Stoy

Deborah Secor
04-13-2004, 11:23 PM
Love the complementary palette. I remember seeing a sky that color once when I lived in Mississippi. It was very weird, and being a kid from California (who missed the ocean and was bored to tears with the white skies in MS) I thought it was stunningly beautiful. All the neighbors were totally spooked by it. It wasn't till the next day that I found out all the natives were heading for the basement because it was prime tornado color--but I enjoyed it anyway!

Deborah

binkie
04-13-2004, 11:24 PM
Annette, Your painting is lovely! I love the colors.

binkie

Khadres
04-14-2004, 02:28 PM
I like the way your strokes match the tumultuous subject! Very nice, indeed!

meowmeow
04-14-2004, 02:48 PM
Super painting...and good for you for going out there. It does look like something serious has been happening up there!

Sandy