PDA

View Full Version : madonnari

gan
09-05-2001, 12:25 AM
i was wondering if anyone else has experience with street painting. i would like to hear what people think about working on the street.
as for me, it's a good chance to explore sketched ideas and play with pastels. i like the colors of asphalt and red concrete as they provide good grounding tones. i'm not the most experienced with pastels but man, they are fun when combined with the street. theres always something exciting with works done in public places.

colorme
09-06-2001, 04:41 PM
Hey gan, welcome to wetcanvas..:)

I've never tried street painting [it sounds fun] and I can't wait to try it some time..I do know people that have done it, the kids in my school's AP class have painted on the sidewalks of a local park..i haven't seen the results tho'..

paintfool
09-06-2001, 07:23 PM
Hi gan! I'm glad to see you found your way here. :) I have no experience with this but saw a program on some fabulous work done around the country. I don't have any info at this time but will take a few minutes to search around.
Cheryl

Leaflin
09-06-2001, 08:30 PM
Hi gan
Glad you made it!
When I think of street painting my mind goes to Mary Poppins and Bert (played by Dick Van Dyke).
I have always been fascinated by it since that movie.
Have seen some wonderful pictures in magazines but would love to see the real thing.
Hope you will be able to post any work that you do :)

sassybird
09-07-2001, 02:16 AM
I used to do some street painting in San Francisco during the 70's. It is a lot of fun, but my back and knees just won't take it any more. I painted on the side walks at Washington Square in North Beach mostly although I did some down near the wharf. I kept a hat out and people would put money in it............lol

gan
09-07-2001, 11:55 AM
i canít express how fun working on the street is. i like working on ground tones like black, grays, terra cotta, sage green, etc. and pastels are great for that. normally i draw small and in a tight style but now that iím trying to step get back into and be more open with my art i find that iím liking more loose and large scale pieces. large pastel paper is expensive but the street is free. it has itís trade-offs though: non permanence, sidewalk traffic, rain, permission to paint in certain areas, volume requires more pastels, etc. i think that when i buy my first house that iím going to make sure there is an area of colored concrete to work on.

here are some items you can take with you:

knee pad Ė a must (strap on or garden type) be careful when squatting and doing work. if you donít take breaks every 15 minutes or so you can cut off the signals from your nerves and suffer a numb foot that can take weeks to rehabilitate. the best position is on all fours.

gloves Ė protects you from heat and the abrasive ground youíre working on (cutting off the fingers allows you a better grip on your pastels)

brushes Ė use for blending or dusting off excess buildup.

hat Ė the bigger the better. unless itís overcast, being out in the sun will take itís toll on the back of your neck.

water and food Ė certain pieces might take hours to do and itís best not to work on a hungry stomach or a dehydrated body. you might be able to take a break and come back to your piece without any vandalism but if you are uneasy about leaving an unfinished piece then bring along that chow.
(water also works well with a rag to remove stubborn areas of pastel. see below)

rags and sponges - these can be used like brushes to remove or move the pastel. add a little water and their effectiveness as erasers increase. a spare rag can also be used to clean up your hands.

ladder and camera Ė if you have the ability to bring a tall ladder it helps out greatly in reducing the distortion when taking pictures of your work.

pastels or chalk Ė there are cheap sets of pastels that come in boxes of 24 or so. to help save my pastels i try to use the background color to my advantage rather than painting over it completely. in addition bring along a huge stick of black or white chalk to help with tints and shades and any underpainting you might do. if you have a medium colored ground tone such as terra cota colored concrete, the black and white can be used by them selves to create the lights and darks in your piece. not colorful but just as dynamic as a colored piece.

before depart don't forget about your carport. if you have one, carports are the easiest place to paint. first, if you paint near your house then you might be able to get a straight photo of your complete work from the roof. second, you can hose down your painting easily. and last, you donít have to worry about walking traffic disturbing your piece while you go eat.

i hope to see some sidewalk projects soon!

colorme
09-07-2001, 07:01 PM
hey thanks for the tips..this sounds fun, i will try and do some sidewalk paintings.:)

impetuous
09-19-2001, 10:42 PM
This has really grabbed my attention, it sounds such a fun thing to do. We were talking about an outdoor day for this coming summer in the night class that I attend, fingers crossed that this is an idea that will grow with my classmates!