PDA

View Full Version : Why do you make jewelry?

RottweilerMom
04-13-2004, 04:47 PM
I was just wondering why do all of us make jewelry or other fiber art pieces. I think I would like to try to sell some of my stuff both knitted and jewelry for just some play money and I hear that some people make a good living at it. I am a little discouraged at the moment at my equine and canine art. I wonder if jewelry and knitted thingies would be more marketable.

debkauz
04-13-2004, 05:18 PM
I tell DH that I make it to sell it. In reality, I do sell most of it. Now if I could only sell more than I buy, life would be complete! LOL! Somehow when it's a business, I can justify just about any expendature with--'but it's for the business.' Hopefully there will come a time when in/out are a little more equal. :D :rolleyes: :evil: ;) ;)

Debbie

LoriGreenberg-Beadnerd
04-13-2004, 05:21 PM
I didn't vote because I don't fit into those categories.

I make it because people love my beads and want me to make them jewelry. I'm a beadmaker at heart and would rather do that. BUT the extra $$ that comes from throwing some into jewelry is nice too. I don't do it because I need to, I do it because others need me to. :)

TheBlueBetween
04-13-2004, 05:53 PM
I'm not answering the above either. I don't do it for the money, though the money will allow me to keep doing it.

I do it because it's something I love to do and I'm good at. And it's something I stopped doing for about 20 years and it took getting really sick and having to re-evaluate my life to realize that the creative part of me was missing and I'd better find a way to get it back or I probably was never going to heal and be happy again.

I wasn't sure it was jewelry or bead making when I came to the above realization - I just knew I needed a creative outlet. I needed more color and texture and beauty in my life... and I spent awhile trying to figure out what it was I needed to do and finally settled on jewelry making as a hobby. Thinking it was a start and I'd take a watercolor class down the road or something. Never imagined it would be a lampwork class I was taking down the road.

But then my family and friends couldn't stop oohing and ahhhing and they were all very encouraging and so they talked me into doing more than hobby with it... and here I am. Still just starting out selling, but having a blast with it.

I am so afraid though that the selling will overtake the creativity and make me lose my passion for this - I desperately don't want that to happen. Every time I get a custom order I feel like it's stifling me. I want to make what I want to make and if it's nice enough for someone to want to buy it, then that is great. If it's not... well a girl can never have enough jewelry, can she? LOL. Except that it would be so great if this does take off enough to bring in a bit of income so that when my son goes to school I don't have to go back to the "work force" - I'm not sure I could do that anyway at this point... but I would need to find a way to bring in some $ and contribute financially to the family.

So I'm sticking by my motto: Follow your heart and the means will follow.

Pam

flynfire
04-13-2004, 06:42 PM
Pam, what a great post! (and I love your tag line BTW)
I don't fit into any of the poll categories, either. I make enough money to replenish supplies...almost. It's not my "real" job. (Hmm, come to think of it, my real job isn't a real job, either! I'm lucky.) I got into jewelry making because one of my jewelry makers, like Pam, is stifled by custom orders and said he would rather teach me to do it myself. I said, "Are you kidding? SURE!" I had no idea I would love it as much as I do. There's just something exciting about trying to coax something hard into doing my bidding. ;) ;)

DonnaBee
04-13-2004, 07:18 PM
I checked the last one! :clap:

beclectic
04-13-2004, 08:37 PM
I checked the last choice because it is the truth but....

I buy the beads because I love having them, looking at them and doing things with them. Each little work of art is a joy to behold. Making and wearing jewelry is a way to have them with me so I can enjoy them when I'm not at home. If others want to buy my creations, and I've sold some, then they can enjoy looking at it. In many cases coworkers have purchased my jewelry so I get to enjoy looking at it on them.

I've done many, many crafts and enjoyed them but jewelry making just seems to fulfill me the most. I plan to make beads eventually. I feel that the more components I learn to make the more intergrated my designs will become.

I need pretty things around me and the more beauty I can add to the world the happier I am.

Kerensamere
04-13-2004, 09:04 PM
Well, I'd like to vote in your poll but none of your answers fit me. I used to make jewelry as a hobby and for friends and family. Then people started noticing my pieces (stopping me in stores, etc.) so I took the hint and started making my pieces to sell. I'm now trying to get into bigger and better shows (jurried shows to be exact) and there is one gallery that carries my work. The goal is to have my work pay the bills, it's not happening yet but I've only been doing this officially for one year. My DH's goal is that I become a successful artist and he becomes a "made man" I keep laughing and telling him to keep dreaming, but honestly, I wouldn't complain if it happened. :D

-Jen

Patch
04-13-2004, 09:50 PM
I make very little jewelry and it's only because I want to wear some perticular beads, to keep them with me more than to show them off. I am known to go around with some beads in my jeans pockets and in my purse and to buy beads *just because*. I rarely sell jewelry and most often, when I did, I regretted not having kept the beads. For fiber art, it's different. Easier for me to make, I sell my purses and other works so that will pay for more materials.
Patch

Charlee
04-14-2004, 12:47 AM
I make jewelry because I *have* to. It's the thing that meets that "create or die" need the best. I sell some. I'd like to sell more and will - eventually. But that's not why I make it.

Charlee

Teri.p
04-14-2004, 01:52 AM
I agree with Pam, she said it much better than I could. I am (and always have) been a creative person with a -need- to create. The quote in my sig says it all...

Teri

Andee
04-14-2004, 06:56 AM
Well, I would've liked to check choices 3 and 4, but I couldn't, so I settled for no. 4, coz that's the sad truth! ;) I DO make jewelry and beads mainly for myself, for friends and family, tho. On one hand I'd love to sell some so I could get at least SOME of the money I invested back (and I think people buying your stuff gives your ego a boost, too ;) ), but it's really darn difficult here in Germany - I won't bore you with the details, but it seems I would have to invest even more money just to be ALLOWED to sell something... However, on the other hand I find it extremely hard to part from any of my creations - if I didn't make them with a special person in mind already...

WHY I make jewelry? I guess I just HAVE to, like Charlee. I feel weird every day I don't do anything creative - it's like a day lost. I love to create something that didn't exist in that form before. And jewelry (or beads) is a great platform, as you can wear it, carry it around and have it with you all the time and on top it doesn't take up much space (compared to painting - after filling all my walls with paintings I just don't know where to put them, so all the "unused ones" just take up a lot of space when I can't even look at them).

Sorry, it's a bit difficult for me to express all this in a foreign language, but I hope you could make sense of it anyway! :)

Teri - I love that quote! :)

beclectic
04-14-2004, 07:29 AM
Sorry, it's a bit difficult for me to express all this in a foreign language, but I hope you could make sense of it anyway! :)

Teri - I love that quote! :)
Your English is superb and I think you made us understand your need to create.

If you sold to friends and people who ask about your jewelry, would that cost you money too? Selling things here can cost a lot of money too. Posting it on an auction site and paying even if it doesn't sell. Selling on commission and having to pay 30% or sometimes up to 60% of the gross for the privilege of having your items in the owner's store or on the owner's site. Advertising costs if you are at the level where it helps. Business is expensive, it always costs money or time or both (usually both) to make money here.

Andee
04-14-2004, 08:08 AM
Barbara - thanks! :)
I wasn't even talking about the costs for the "platform" you use for selling (galleries, shops, internet...) or about advertising. What I meant was taxes, insurances and stuff like that. If I sell one or two pieces a year to a friend I guess the problems wouldn't be just as big, if I want to be correct I probably just have to pay taxes for that. If I want to get a business going, I would need my landlord agreeing that I can use my flat for making the stuff (yeah, I know, sounds weird), I'd have to have special insurance (not necessarily for just stringing some beads, of course, but for lampworking), I would have to pay a contribution for trade associations... Basically you'd have to pay before you even started doing anything. This is how I understand it so far without having made any thorough inquiries - not very encouraging...

Cyndi L
04-14-2004, 09:18 AM
Because I can.

And I'm hard-wired that I must make something

:-)

lissadivamama
04-14-2004, 10:50 AM
I'm not sure which to check! :rolleyes: It started as #3 - I fell in love with the jewelry (earrings in particular) that Pier 1 used to sell way back when. I saw a bead store and went in and decided that I could make them for myself a whole lot cheaper. Then started making them for gifts, then added necklaces and bracelets. Sold a few at a craft show just for kicks.

I then stopped doing it for a couple years. After my son was born, we were in a bit of a financial bind, and mentioned it to a friend (also a jewelry-maker, crafter). She was having a show and encouraged me to create a few things and let her try to sell them for me. I did, and suddenly realized that I actually missed the creating aspect as much as needed the money, so I dove back in head first! I bumped up my skills and learned some new techniques and am still trying to create a name for my self.

I guess today, #2 (play money) and #4 (supporting my habit) are the outcome, but as soon as our house sells and we pay off ALL our debt, I am going to concentrate more on making it a profitable business. I think I am equally artistically/money driven in this endeavor. I mean, I will make a new piece, wear it to church or to work, someone will complement me on it and I immediately say..."it can be yours for the low, low price of..." :evil:

Barrie
04-14-2004, 11:34 AM
While I checked number 1, because it does pay the bills, there is that inherant need to create. I must make jewelry. I must make beads. Why? Don't know, but as soon as I started, I knew that this is what I have to do. The biggest decision I make every day is 'do I make beads or do I make jewelry?'. I make more profit from jewelry, I make faster sales with beads, so it's a tough call. And there are days when I don't want to do either, but then I give my head a shake, realize how blessed I am, and go make something!

RottweilerMom
04-14-2004, 03:34 PM
I'm sorry I made such a lame poll! :o I didn't realize that you can make it click multiple choices....not only I am new to jewelry but I'm new to polls too! :p

It's funny how many of you say you're hard wired to make stuff....that's exactly how I feel. Must.....make.....something! I drive my hubby nuts, I'm always drawing, making, doing....I can't sit still and veg. I'm a number 4 at the moment. But, I'm hoping to change that to at least a two but will settle for a 3 at the moment. :D

beclectic
04-14-2004, 03:57 PM
I'm sorry I made such a lame poll! :o

You did not make a perfect poll but look at all the good discussion you started, so don't be embarassed. :cat:

Teri.p
04-14-2004, 05:09 PM
You did not make a perfect poll but look at all the good discussion you started, so don't be embarassed. :cat:

That is my reaction, too..... After all, if we had all had only to click on a button, would we have gotten so involved in the discussion?

Good job, RottMom!! :clap:

Teri

NewCreation
04-14-2004, 05:35 PM
Because it makes my heart sing!

Shirley C.
04-14-2004, 05:57 PM
since last august, i make jewelry to pay the bills. but wait! i also make jewelry because i absolutely love to make jewelry. when i started making glass beads 4 years ago, i stopped making jewelry because i just didn't have the time to do it all. but not long after that, i found myself yearning to make finished wearable things. i now spend more time making jewelry than i do making beads.

i have to make stuff. i've been making stuff since i was a little kid, and if i go for any length of time without making stuff, i get really cranky. jewelry lets me express my color and design sense, my personality, my passion - and it makes my clients happy. there is nothing more satisfying to me than to see the delight on a client's face when she puts on one of my pieces that speaks to her.

i had to take a check up to my tax accountant this morning (we owe money to the state - dang!), and i delivered one of my bangles to her. she just lit up when she put it on her wrist, and it absolutely made my day!

Aragorn
04-14-2004, 07:17 PM
I wish it paid the bills but it does not. I have a job to pay the bills thankfully. My bead addiction costs me a lot more than I make from it. I usually make it as gifts and I sell some and I have lots sitting around. I didn't have a craft or anything creative to do while I was growing up. I did sports and then in college I had no time for anything but school. I just recently started this and I love it (well, over a year now). I have dreams about it and I really wish I could make a living with it. Some day maybe...??? It is just fun. I've tried other hobbies and crafts before and none of them really did it for me like the beads and jewelry.

good thread. thanks for asking.

River's Song Art Jewelry
04-14-2004, 08:06 PM
Hi all,
I voted for number 4. I'm about to get my plug pulled on the credit card--I've spent an unbelievable amount of money on supplies :rolleyes: . I never seem to have the right bead or the right color :confused: --it's driving me nuts!! So I keep ordering more.
I make jewelry because I love it!! :clap: I think I'd die if I couldn't keep doing it, It's a way to express my essence. I have sold some pieces to people I work with--and I do love seeing them enjoy what I create--that is a real "high" for me. They really love my stuff!!! That's big for me.
I hope to make some money at it eventually. I'd like to retire in a year and suppliment my retirement. I hope it all works out.
Thanks for asking such a great question--it got me thinking!!

Bonnie Jane
(I love the smilies--as you can tell!!)
(Quoteless at this time.)

ringslingin
04-15-2004, 04:02 PM
I was just wondering why do all of us make jewelry or other fiber art pieces. I think I would like to try to sell some of my stuff both knitted and jewelry for just some play money and I hear that some people make a good living at it. I am a little discouraged at the moment at my equine and canine art. I wonder if jewelry and knitted thingies would be more marketable.

I haven't read any of the thread yet, but when I saw this one, I thought the title should be Why DON'T you make jewelry? hehehe.

farkel
04-17-2004, 10:46 AM
I am so afraid though that the selling will overtake the creativity and make me lose my passion for this - I desperately don't want that to happen. Every time I get a custom order I feel like it's stifling me. I want to make what I want to make and if it's nice enough for someone to want to buy it, then that is great.

What Pam said!!! I voted number 4 because all I seem to do is spend money. But I accidentally fell into selling. I made a few low-end pieces (first jewelry I EVER made) to raise money for a local Cancer fund raiser and it just took off. I didn't have a problem asking for money for that team but found that I'm not a good salesman for myself...darn. I get requests for certain pieces but I hate making anything by someone else's specifications!!! I shall never make my husband a kept man (as someone else said) at this rate.

I love lampwork and hope that is a path to my creative side taking over, not just a "crafty thing to do".......still learning and PPP.
Fran

TheBlueBetween
04-17-2004, 10:57 AM
I'm about to get my plug pulled on the credit card--I've spent an unbelievable amount of money on supplies :rolleyes: . I never seem to have the right bead or the right color :confused: --it's driving me nuts!! So I keep ordering more.

And that is the truth of it!!! It never ends does it. And no matter how many beads you have, you are always missing just the right thing for this or just the right clasp for that... That's part of the reason I got into lampwork - so I could make "just the right bead for this". And why I have some PMC sitting in a bag waiting for me to sit down with it and figure out how to make "just the right clasp for that". Though that stuff is so pricy, I'm afraid to open it!

:) Pam (who likes the smilies too)

emmadogdesigns
04-19-2004, 02:08 PM
HI! I make jewelry because it finally gives me a creative outlet that I don't feel too insecure about. ;) I love the way I can make a couple pieces relatively quickly, too. I have a short attention span!

Now that I am making my own beads too, I am being torn between the two. Eventually it will even out & I will find my happy medium.

atlthrashergirl
04-20-2004, 12:18 AM
for stress release! :)

Laura

joeymagpie
04-20-2004, 11:11 AM
Well, I had to check the 3rd choice for now....I make it for myself, family and friends. Once upon a time I attempted to make money at jewelry and other "wearable art". I had such big dreams! I got off to a really super start -- When everything just sort of fell apart, well, so did I, and ever since then I guess I've been trying to find my way back again. The truth of the whole matter is, I guess, I just simply love and always have loved jewelry.......it always fits. I still have the remnants of my very first necklace I made when I was probably 6 or 7 years old.....made from watermellon seeds and a broken strand of my mother's fake pearls. I guess that sort of set the stage for what I eventually became quite good at.........creating things out of "nothing"......found objects.....broken pieces of this and that. I have this passion for salvaging things and then transforming them, giving them new life. I suppose I am that way, because that is what I always knew. It's how we lived. I think I was 12 or 13 years old before I had the great revelation...."Oh my God....I'm from a poor family"! (lol) But, when you are poor, you learn to make do with what you have. When you are poor....being innovative and resourseful is a must, so..... that's how my style of creativity was fostered and nurtured. ------------ Anyway, I simply must have busy hands to more or less calm my overly active and busy brain. Soon now, I will turn 50 years old, ah heck....50 years young! All my life I have known one thing to be completely vital for my happiness, and that is that I must be engaged in being creative in some fashion or another. Over the years I've managed to dabble in "a little of this and a little of that"....... but, making jewelry is something I suppose I will always, always do...if only just for me alone. Maybe someday I will learn the art of self-direction. Maybe someday I will find my way back to jewelry making for a modest profit.

IDrawInMargins
05-08-2004, 10:27 PM
I make jewelry because it tests my patience and proves that i didn't inherit my dad's incredible lack of it... LOL.