PDA

View Full Version : Becalmed in the Sunda straights

J.Dillon
04-13-2004, 02:41 PM
This Tea clipper drifts as a distant volcano threatens to bow it's top.

12 "X16" Acrylic on masonite.

JamieWG
04-13-2004, 09:19 PM
There is a beautifully refined subtlety to this painting that I know is very difficult to achieve with acrylics. i would love to see a larger image of it! Can you post one?

Jamie

J.Dillon
04-13-2004, 10:46 PM
Thanks Jamie,

Maybe this will do

Leaflin
04-17-2004, 03:50 PM
The soft colours give me a restful feeling.
I want to say it has a romantic feel to it.
Perhaps romance on the high seas :)
Beautifully done!

artistodon
04-18-2004, 02:05 AM
Amazing!
I absolutely love the colors. When I look at it I feel the restful feeling to but the clouds give me the sense of a storm rolling in. I don't know if that was your intent or not but very effective for me.

Don :)

ripvanblair
04-18-2004, 05:33 AM
This is very nice I like the colours, gives a very peaceful scene, as you say the lull before the storm--------well done------Alan

brrice
04-19-2004, 05:10 PM
I love the calm colors of the sea and the sky. There seems to be a little symbolism here. In the midst of the calm trouble can come suddenly. I don't know if you planed it that way but it seems to say that to me. But, then thats the beauty of art. It can be interperted differently by different people. Good mood creation in this one.

Marty C
04-24-2004, 10:11 PM
Hi JFD,
Your use of colour in this portrays the becalmed tropics very well indeed, with no horizon making it difficult to differentiate sea and sky.
My only nit with this is the relative sizes of the clipper and the junk, given the horizon as shown by the distant volcano. The junk's size suggests it is quite distant while the volcano placement gives the impression that the junk may actually be much closer. Whilst smaller than a clipper, two masted junks can be fairly large, and this one appears too small in its present position.