PDA

View Full Version : Wearable fabric collage piece

artbabe21
04-13-2004, 02:31 PM
This is a piece I did a long time ago--it can be stitched onto a shirt, pillow or many other uses...it was fun to plan & do. I color copied the girl & the saying onto fabric using my printer but since it was my first I didn't use a fade preventitive so she's washing out. I keep it in my journal now...:)

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/13-Apr-2004/7568-Fiber-art_is_long__time_is_fleeting.jpg

diane555
04-13-2004, 02:39 PM
I love this Cath! It looks like it would be perfect for the center of a small crazy quilt or you could always frame it...it'd be lovely to have hanging up where you could always see it.

I used to do a lot of printing on fabrics also, before they developed so many aids to make them more permanent. I wouldn't dare wash any of them though :D Just wondering...did you choose fabrics that had special meaning in this piece...like a 'memory' piece? Hope to see more of your work!

Di

DonnaBee
04-13-2004, 02:40 PM
I love it! Especially the touch of black/white dotted fabric.

jacki
04-13-2004, 02:45 PM
VERY nice Cathleen! I'm thinking you should get a bottle of that Bubble Jet Set stuff, and do more! :D
Isn't it fun to see the fiber art coming out of the closet :music: :music:
Personnally, I love art work involving fiber, the texture and feel add so much.

I love the image you chose.

artbabe21
04-13-2004, 02:59 PM
Hey...you gals are so very sweet!! :) I appreciate it.

YES!!! Jacki, it IS Bubble Jet I bought to do more but you KNOW how it is...so many arts & so little time. Geeeeeeeeeeez, I hope the Bubble Jet is still good!
I think I spent a fortune on it.....now there's probably easier ways!!

Sometimes I think mixed media is more where my strengths lie as I can visually SEE it as I am doing it....oils are more difficult for me...:( These are really fun and I have the fabric closet to prove it!!

I also bought those way cool fibers for those popular scarves that aren't so much for warmth but for fashion....I taught myself to knit & do that every night to unwind!!

OH--Jacki, I LOVE Port Townsend! I was there a few years ago for Artfest an art retreat...very cool place!! :D

Shirley C.
04-13-2004, 03:18 PM
cathleen, i LOVE the colors and textures in this piece! and i'd love to see more of your fiber/fabric work - show us, please! :)

Charlee
04-13-2004, 03:26 PM
How pretty, Cathleen! Loads of visual texture. Thanks for posting her. :D

Charlee

lisilk
04-13-2004, 04:21 PM
Cath,

What a cool piece, feels very nostalgiac. I like the combination of colors and patterns. I agree this would make a nice center piece for a quilt.

If you do print like this on fabric again, you might think about steaming it afterwards. That helps the inks ( dyes basically ) bonds more permanently to the fabric.

Cheers,

Li

!ngridh
04-14-2004, 01:28 AM
Ah I love it...I love mixed media, especially collage,

Quite some time ago I was bored, having to man ...ah woman my gallery and started taking hi quality magazines (and the names of them escape me now...oy vey...but hi quality printing...) And started to cut out pieces here and there and then I would collage them together with maybe a word here and there and then laminate them and make them into pins or magnets...well...what the heck ELSE was I gunna do with them...as a matter of fact I still have some of the magnets on my refrig...

artbabe21
04-14-2004, 09:11 AM
Thank YOU Shirley, Charlee, Lisilk & !ngridh!! For looking & such nice comments...Li, that's good to know about the pressing to help hold the colors:)

Cyndi L
04-14-2004, 09:21 AM
Fabulous Cathleen! I love the girl (Windflowers by Waterhouse) and have used her on a pendant :-)

Love your colors and textures.

artbabe21
04-14-2004, 03:34 PM
Thanks Cyndi! I love J.Waterhouse's women too, especially his mermaids!! :)

sassybird
04-14-2004, 05:26 PM
I really like this. As a fiber artist I am always interested in what others are doing. I think I would frame this and keep it out of direct sunlight to cut down on the fade. Maybe a nicel satin or velvet background would set it off nicely. The colors are great, and the different patterns work really well together. A lot of things to look at, but not too busy. I hope you are still doing work like this:)