PDA

View Full Version : I would have done this for free!

JCoop
04-13-2004, 02:19 PM
Hi WC!ers. Here is my latest commission. The whole process was a blast!... When I went to the clients house to take the reference photo, I was met at the door by all three children. We played around in the backyard for an hour... swinging and sliding and playing in the tree house. The whole thing ended up with a big giggly wrestling match. I managed to squeeze off a few photographs in between the fun.
I knew the father from the gym we attend. The children sensed that he totally trusted me, and it payed off by allowing the children to totally relax.

Thanks for looking

Digital on Canvas. _Painter8 Xposted in Portraiture

themanda
04-13-2004, 06:55 PM
sweet lookin' little family, there. nice job!

Jet
04-13-2004, 07:49 PM
mmhhmmm !! :confused:
....:D
:clap: :clap: :clap:
:cool:

JCoop
04-13-2004, 08:36 PM
Thanks Manda & Jet.
Jet, you're a funny guy! I'm serious, I had a lot of fun... you still don't believe me, do ya. ;)

Here is a ref for your reference...

flowerfancy58
04-13-2004, 08:41 PM
Joel, this is fantastic, and what a lot of detail to everything here! You really undertook a lot of work here, but as usual your work is A-1!

gloria:)

JulieBoyles
04-14-2004, 01:44 AM
WOW! Joel, this is wonderful! I am especially drawn to the strong light and your skin tones, . . . I'm soooo jealous! :) My favorite part of this piece is how you made the ropes of the tire swing coordinate with the kids jackets so we know it's there, but it doesn't detract from the children.

There is one very very small thing that sticks out for me and it may be too late, but the boys teeth look just a tiny bit too uniform white. It isn't a big thing, he looks a lot like my nephew, that's probably why I noticed it.

Another great portrait!! :clap: :clap: :clap:

Congrats!!

Julie

justjean
04-14-2004, 10:05 AM
Beautiful work Joel, such a natural free look to this painting someone is going to be very happy with your work

JCoop
04-14-2004, 10:53 AM
Gloria, yeah, this took a great deal of concentration. It's a bit more challenging trying to nail three likenesses in one painting. I painted the background first so that I could concentrate on the faces exclusively. It's easy to go too far and loose a likeness. Also balancing the look of all three faces is a challenge, for this reason I painted all three faces simultaneously.

Julie, believe me you have nothing to be jealous about. Your portraits are top shelf. About the boys teeth... Darnit! I'd planned to double back and work on them... that's one of the problems of trying to pay attention to three faces at once... I felt constantly that I was gonna miss something.
You have a keen eye... unfortunately it's too late :( ... live & learn.

Jean, thanks! The painting is being transferred to canvas right now... on Saturday I will drop it off. I'll let you know what the reaction was.

Thanks Friends!

themanda
04-14-2004, 11:00 AM
The painting is being transferred to canvas right now... on Saturday I will drop it off. I'll let you know what the reaction was.

if you don't mind, i'd like to know more about how you do this. do you have access to a print shop that can print directly on canvas? how big can you print? how much does it cost?

just wondering! :)

JCoop
04-14-2004, 12:01 PM
manda, I normally create giclee prints from my digital paintings. This technology is very ripe for us digital artists. You can have your art transferred to Canvas or Watercolor paper or a number of other choices.

I use a printer that's not far from where I live to spare myself any shipping costs... I can just breeze by and pick it up. I usually send the printer my file via internet. Most companys work this way.

Also, I get a good deal because I've calibrated my monitors for output on the company's machines. This way the printer just takes my files and prints them. He doesn't have to correct anything or proof anything. It works out great.

Most printers will walk you through the steps necessary in preparing your file to be sent to them successfully. They usually have FAQ's on their sites too.

The printer size is 44"X any length. One of the most important considerations when choosing a printer is to make sure that they're using an archival process with archival inks. Some media boasts a two hundred year life without fading or cracking. (traditional media can't even come close to that) How true that is... I guess time will tell.

Personally, as an artist I think it is imparative that one displays their efforts in some sort of quality way. Instead of on their hard drive or on a CD for life. I realize not every work we do deserves wall space, but every now and then we pull off a good one the begs to be displayed.

Also, if you're approaching your work from a business (commission) point of view this is the perfect solution.

Do a search on the word "Giclee", you should find several printers.

Here is one just to give you a reference: http://www.gicleeprint.net/digart.asp

Good luck manda!

TheAndroid
04-14-2004, 03:11 PM
Outstanding effort!!! I am really blown away by this.

DSPIT
04-14-2004, 04:31 PM
Joel, another outstanding piece. Then again, I haven't seen anything by you that I didn't care for. Sounds like it all went together in a very positive nature. How fun.

After your first posts(her at wc, in my memory) on Giclee, I did some research and for my next digital piece that was commissioned, I did a Giclee on canvas. what a winner. Client was very very happy. The whole thing looked very realistic and most people could not tell it was done digitally. I was impressed with the process. It was a couple dollars more than normal, but not much more. I was really happy. I used a local guy as well. 5 minutes from my office, can pop down, drop stuff off, pick it up in a day or two. In any case, what you gave was good info and was worth doing.

Bob

Lynxes123
04-15-2004, 03:54 AM
What a beautiful painting and what talent you have!! I bet the client will be thrilled with it :clap:
Lynxes123

LadyAlba
04-15-2004, 10:58 AM
This is stupendous (a word? LOL) you worked at your best on this one, Joel....so much detail not just on the children but the rope swing everything. It is always a pleasure to see your work! :clap: :clap: :clap:

JCoop
04-15-2004, 12:22 PM
Android, thanks alot! I'm glad you like it.

Bob, thanks! I'm glad to hear that you made use of the info. Isn't it a great process?! It's catching on bigtime too. Everywhere I look now, publishing companies are offering limited edition Giclee's. We are very fortunate. Thanks for commenting!

Lynxes123, Thanks! I'll let you know what the clients reaction was. I appreciate your kind words.

LadyAlba, three "clappies"! :eek: ... Wow! I always appreciate you checking in on my work!

Elvira
04-15-2004, 01:10 PM
Joel this is truly beautiful, what more can I say WOW :clap:
Edie

Chiers
04-15-2004, 04:31 PM
Nice painting Joel! And the children are darling I bet you did have fun with them.

Ceu
04-16-2004, 10:07 PM
Joel, that is very sweet of you, the kids look so proud and happy.
Question, what kind of paper do you use when you print?
I have so work that I need to print but don't like the glossy kodack picutre paper.
Ceu

JCoop
04-17-2004, 11:01 AM
Thanks Edie, Sherry & Sue! I'll be presenting this to the client today!... I'll let you know what happened.
Ceu, I have my paintings transferred to canvas... see page 1 of this thread for an expaination. Thanks!

Ceu
04-17-2004, 10:10 PM
Thank you so much for the info Joel.
Ceu

Laura Brito
04-18-2004, 02:36 AM
I also admire your work, I always enjoy seeing it and always think you do a very nice job.

Thanks for sharing.