PDA

View Full Version : Monday Show-It-Off

Emjay
04-12-2004, 07:53 AM
Didn't see a thread started yet, and I actually have something to show! This was inspired by the new Belle Armoire cover. Design and instructions by Sharilyn Miller. I didn't have enough chain to do the handmade links all the way around, so I used commercial chain. I think it looks OK. Trying to decide whether to antique it or not. Questions, comments welcome! (pro and con!).

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/12-Apr-2004/11303-heart_chain_necklace_1.jpg

Emjay
04-12-2004, 07:55 AM
And here's a close up...........How do you post more than one picture in a post?

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/12-Apr-2004/11303-detail_heart_chain_necklace__1.jpg

Barrie
04-12-2004, 09:08 AM
That is stunning!!!! Absolutely gorgeous! Personally, I wouldn't antique it, but that's me! Great job! :clap: :clap: :clap:

DonnaBee
04-12-2004, 09:23 AM
Jean that is perfect! It's wonderful. I like how you added the commercial chain, I wouldn't want to see that part changed. I vote no to antiquing. Although, really, it could go either way.

It's just stunning. What gauge wire are the heart spirals? You did a really good job on them. It's a true work of art Jean.

TheBlueBetween
04-12-2004, 09:35 AM
Beautiful!!! And I'll be odd-man-out and say I would antique it - then the shiny parts would go better with the bali. Plus those drops just look so victorian to me.... plus I have a couple of old pieces from my great grandmother that remind me of this one - and make me think you could make yours look like an heirloom too.

Thanks for sharing!

Charlee
04-12-2004, 09:59 AM
Gorgeous!! Your heart links are just perfect. :clap: I bought that magazine last week just for that very article. Now I need some wire. :rolleyes: What gauge did you use? I vote for antiquing, but then polish heck out of the high spots. Or just wear it a while - it'll antique itself. :)

Now that my mom has gone home, I might get a thing or two made (she said, hopefully).

Charlee

somk
04-12-2004, 10:48 AM
Adorable and simple ! bravo ! :) :clap: :clap:

Shirley C.
04-12-2004, 10:52 AM
jean, you did a wonderful job on this piece!

it caught my eye on the magazine, and i thought about making it but have too many commitments right now to start another project. i'm so glad you showed this to us!

i'd love to see what it looks like antiqued. heck, you can always make another one and antique it, right? ;)

lovely necklace jean!

SuzyQ
04-12-2004, 10:57 AM
Excellent job with the design! I love that magazine. You made your version work really well.

LoriGreenberg-Beadnerd
04-12-2004, 11:54 AM
Wow. My little fingers could never do that! I mainly make and sell the beads, but here is one that I've made a few times for gifts. (It's a fast easy design!) I'm showing it again because the encasing on the beads got better after I upgraded equipment!

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/12-Apr-2004/16432-monetlentils1.jpg

jacki
04-12-2004, 01:20 PM
Great job Jean! Very pretty necklace :) And I like your choice of chain, I think it sets off the necklace very well. Personally, I would antique, seems it would set off the pearls so well. but it will be beautiful whichever way you go. I sort of like Shirleys idea, make another one :D

Lori, I sure like the combo of those lentils and the silver! Pretty!!

There have been some wonderful pictures the last feew days :clap: :clap:

Barrie
04-12-2004, 01:24 PM
Lori, what a beautiful bracelet! Simple yet effective design, and the encasing looks great!!
I haven't finished any jewelry since last week but have bucket loads nearly done (have to ship out tomorrow, so working like a mad fool today!). But I did manage to sneak one of my charms into a bead set yesterday!! Oh! Ican also post a picture of a pendant done by one of my former students. She came over on Friday so I could take pics of her stuff for her (got one of photographs I took last fall for her published in the BC Crafts Association Directory! credits and all!!!). I have to warn you though, her stuff uses real bugs in colored resin with sterling silver. Rather funky, but very well done!! And she uses non-endangered species for her work. This one is a white cabbage moth (a gardener's bane!)

Alethia Donathan
04-12-2004, 01:40 PM
Jean- I love it the way it is.
Lori - Love the lentil necklace.
Barrie - Great beads!!! I just love the charm.

Spent the weekend working on beads and some necklace ideas. Here's a necklace that I just finished this past weekend. I'm still playing around with the pendant (most likely I'll be adding more accent beads on each end of the pendant) and I need to name this piece. What do you think?
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/12-Apr-2004/10944-Twistnpearl.JPG

Alethia

jacki
04-12-2004, 02:04 PM
Barrie I love your charms! What a wonderful teacher you must be, her work is so pristine and perfect :) Looking forward to see some of your new pieces, I love your rings!

Alethia--So lush! The colors remind me of the rainforest. Deep rich moss and water. Great focal!

Here is a scarf for today. This one is more of a monoprint, I am calling it "Storm Warning" and a detail

beclectic
04-12-2004, 03:00 PM
Everyone must have been working on pretties over the weekend.

Jean - I like it just the way it is, no antiquing.
Lori - The lentils are beautiful, my two favorite colors together. The silver beads really make your bracelet pop, a perfect combo.
Barri - your student's pendent is very pretty and the work is so precise but I can't help thiking, poor moth. I loved your little charm, part of the graffiti collection, isn't it?
Alethia - I like the way you inserted the beaded rope into the middle of the less formal pearl/bead necklace. The pendent goes well with your beads but I agree with you that it needs to drop down from the beaded rope a little bit.
Jaki - Storm Warning - I like the way this make me feel, kind of chaotic, like a storm.

What a wonderful bunch of eye candy.

LoriGreenberg-Beadnerd
04-12-2004, 03:26 PM
Barrie I love your charms! What a wonderful teacher you must be, her work is so pristine and perfect :) Looking forward to see some of your new pieces, I love your rings!

Alethia--So lush! The colors remind me of the rainforest. Deep rich moss and water. Great focal!

Here is a scarf for today. This one is more of a monoprint, I am calling it "Storm Warning" and a detail

Jacki,

Your scarf is beautiful....it makes you just want to roll around with it. ;) I love all kinds of fabrics and textile work...but I rarely wear anything beautiful like that....almost like they're too pretty to be used. I think I'll start keeping my eyes open for things that I can also display on my walls, as I can appreciate them more that way.

DonnaBee
04-12-2004, 03:58 PM
Alethia!!! Welcome!

How about...

"Lush Dawn"

lisilk
04-12-2004, 07:10 PM
Emjay- very elegant design, looks very 1920's to me.

Lori- I like that bracelet, very contemporary.

Barrie- love the colors on your beads, very pretty.

Jackie- I still can't figure out how you are doing these. Mine never come out like that. Are you using dyes or paints on your mono prints. I really love your work.

Althethia- beautiful colors and design.

I have nothing to show because the scarf I'm working on has taken 3 days with more work to come. :(

Nice work everyone.

Li

lunamoonshadow
04-12-2004, 08:21 PM
I'm surprised @ myself--I really really like that moth pendant! Seems like a great way to give the little guy pretty much eternal life ;)
Non-endangered is good. Tho I'm sure there's lots of gardeners who'd love to see the little guy BE endangered!
I love this forum...such gorgeous stuff!
--Lyn

flynfire
04-12-2004, 08:42 PM
I have been so busy with "flyn" that barely have had time for "fire". 20 visiting glider pilots at our airport the past week. I did finish a pendant Saturday, took a photo, put the piece in my display case, and it was gone in 2 hours! The stone is rhyolite...looks nothing like the rest of the slab. It reminds me of a Dali landscape. I spare you details on the back...it's glider (what else?)

Beautiful pieces today, everyone! Very unique. I love seeing all the variety in this forum.

River's Song Art Jewelry
04-12-2004, 08:57 PM
Hi All,
Well, this is the first time for me to Show-It-Off--I guess I'm a 57-year-old virgin!!

Anyway, I hope this all works. This is my third try after bringing in the neighbor to help me resize pictures.

I made this bangle bracelet today. I've alrady decided that I should have done it differently!! Oh well, I'm never satisfied with my own work.

The focal bead was made by Christine List of Bead Dreams--I love the colors. The other beads are Indian and the silver is Thai and Bali. The rest is mine. I antiqued the wire-art to go with the Thai and Bali beads.

I think it looks Victorian. Bronwen (Bonnie Jane)

DonnaBee
04-12-2004, 09:06 PM
OH, I wouldn't do a thing different Bonnie Jane! It's beautiful, and it does look Victorian! Welcome to you! :)

lisilk
04-12-2004, 09:07 PM
Bonnie Jane, Welcome to the forum, your bracelet is lovely. Purple and green- one of my favorite combinations.

Flynfire, nice pendant. i think it's cool that you incorporate your love of flight into your jewelery.

Li

flynfire
04-12-2004, 09:13 PM
Bonnie Jane, your introduction says you "aren't really an artist"! You should rethink that!

Emjay
04-12-2004, 10:02 PM
UNBELIEVABLE show and tell today! I think it's our best yet! Outstanding work everyone!
Donna, I used 16 Ga wire for the heart shapes. I want to try more drops, less drops, lampwork, larger hearts, etc, with this design. I've got a show coming up, so won't hurt to experiment and see what goes!

jacki
04-13-2004, 02:57 PM
Bonnie Jane, I like your bracelet! Looking forward to seeing more:D
FlynFire--do you cut your own stones? I love your choice of cabs--very nice!

Li, I use mostly MX dyes, sometimes LH, and if wool is involved, acid dyes.
I'm going to work with some screenprinting inks and very thin fabric paints soon though. I really like the way the mx dyes interact with themselves and with the different resists.
I so admire the type of silk painting you do--which is why I am looking forward to hanging one of our scarves on my wall :)
Note to Lori :) I agree, I have scarves (and various other forms of wearable art) hanging everywhere. They are fun to wear sometimes, but I want to see more of them! :D

Charlee
04-13-2004, 03:28 PM
Yummy stuff, everyone!! :clap:

Charlee

lisilk
04-13-2004, 06:52 PM
Bonnie Jane, I like your bracelet! Looking forward to seeing more:D
FlynFire--do you cut your own stones? I love your choice of cabs--very nice!

Li, I use mostly MX dyes, sometimes LH, and if wool is involved, acid dyes.
I'm going to work with some screenprinting inks and very thin fabric paints soon though. I really like the way the mx dyes interact with themselves and with the different resists.
I so admire the type of silk painting you do--which is why I am looking forward to hanging one of our scarves on my wall :)
Note to Lori :) I agree, I have scarves (and various other forms of wearable art) hanging everywhere. They are fun to wear sometimes, but I want to see more of them! :D

Jacki- too bad we don't live closer. We could really pick each others brains and share techniques. I'm in the middle of a silk WIP right now if anyone want to see how they are done.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=181345

Funny what you and Lori mentioned. About half my custumers buy them to hang as wall pieces rather than wearing them. I never wear scarves but my wall are covers! LOL.

Cheers,

Li