PDA

View Full Version : Portrait Hubertus Pittie

Gollator
04-12-2004, 07:07 AM
He is the conductor of our local university chorus. A very nice guy, sometimes a bit too soft on the grousers sitting in front row (e.g. me).

Cheers
Daniel

Gollator
04-12-2004, 07:10 AM
...and while I am at it:

a recent self-portrait, though not finished I believe :-)

jolie
04-12-2004, 07:30 AM
I really like the perspective of the conductor. It gives him a sense of importance that you would expect of someone leading a group. Well done.

Jolie

Smileawhyl
04-12-2004, 08:48 AM
Beautiful subtlety of colors and I'd say from the perspective you play . . . third chair violin?

Gollator
04-12-2004, 09:02 AM
jolie: thanks. As I said, he sometimes has a hard time underlining his importance with us guys, but he is cool :-)

smileawhyl: Hm... he leads orchestras too, but since this is chorus, it would be more "alto". Me, however, I am singing bass. Otherwise I would have a hard time explaining why there is a "male" in my passport :-9 Thanks.

Tamana
04-12-2004, 05:05 PM
Such a dignified disposition. Wonderful concentration and I love the way the background pulls the hues from the tones of his hands. You painted him a song unto himself, Gollator. Has he seen it?

And that self portrait exudes the depth and drama of your personality and paintings. Looking forward to the finished piece...

I love how you highlight skin; your play reminds me of J'nice's.

Smileawhyl
04-12-2004, 05:50 PM
smileawhyl: Hm... he leads orchestras too, but since this is chorus, it would be more "alto". Me, however, I am singing bass. Otherwise I would have a hard time explaining why there is a "male" in my passport :-9 Thanks.
lol Looks like a 3rd chair first violin view to me. I'll accept the basso explanation this time. ;)

Still great in all regards!

jenna_searcher
04-12-2004, 10:44 PM
the first is masterly. respect in the stroke work. musical :)

Michael-Ann
04-12-2004, 10:46 PM
Brush work is devine! Perspective is grand! Self-portrait is very focused and creative and refreshing in a dark way ;)

Gollator
04-13-2004, 09:37 AM
thanks all for the comments.

Tamana: Nope, he hasn't seen it so far. It will be given to him as a gift for his 10th anniversary working for our university.
Sadly, this means I'll have to wait half a year to see his reactions. Damn. On the other hand, I either do things immediatly or never, so I decided to get this piece finished as soon as I was asked.

mame
04-13-2004, 10:17 AM
As always, skilled sensitive work.

Just a by the by - compositionally/metaphorically - because his arms/hands are his voice, the cropping might deter the power.....on the other hand, could be it's so obvious, subtlety is better......I know, I'm full of it.

Gollator
04-13-2004, 10:25 AM
Hey mame,

thx. Hm... I thought about not cropping it, but I think the strength would diminish if I let his figure unfold on the canvas. This way it is more crammed?!?

Hm...interesting...

mame
04-13-2004, 10:34 AM
It might be that both sides are cropped. I'm fond of a bit of off-center/not central/not perfectly balanced compositions so may that's it. From my view, the right crop doesn't bother me but the left crop niggles.

Gollator
04-13-2004, 11:04 AM
I finally see what you mean. And you're right! Damn! I wish I could make the canvas larger again.

jnet11
04-14-2004, 10:31 AM
super fabulous!

delicate and moody
can we see some details, pretty please?

Gollator
04-14-2004, 12:15 PM
:-)

Gollator
04-14-2004, 12:28 PM
and for comparison the two originals.

Me, with yellow teeth, sweating after a live 'How to ridicule yourself by dancing to "Prodigy"' performance.

arourapope
04-14-2004, 05:11 PM
Ah it's good to see your work. I love the red highlights playing across the knuckles, and yeah, I agree with everyone about that great perspective. The portrait is nice and moody.