PDA

View Full Version : drawing without looking at the paper

jheinrich
09-04-2001, 06:23 PM
do any of you do these? Where you try to draw a person without ever looking at the paper? I like them inexplicably, and do a lot of them ... I did this one for sandi's self-portrait from life project ...

enjoy a good laugh on me :D

j*

ftb
09-04-2001, 06:30 PM
are you looking completely the other way like don't look at all? it looks like the caricature on star wars... looks like fun

jerryW
09-04-2001, 07:21 PM
even though you are a beautiful woman.
I knew at an instant glance that this
was a self portrait.
your automatic orientation distorts a bit,
but it is in its own way very attractive.
so what if some of what I am saying is not logical
I found the vodka.

ejfarrae
09-04-2001, 08:48 PM
i always hated this excersise when i was in school. hence, this is light years better than any that i turned out.

Jan-Michael
09-04-2001, 09:17 PM
mine are always abstracts when I try that... this looks pretty kewl...:)

rsmak
09-04-2001, 09:53 PM
very interesting, how did you do it?
nice.
rosanna

cleo
09-05-2001, 01:26 AM
Its as valid as much of what picasso did.

cleo

jheinrich
09-05-2001, 02:03 AM
ftb- yes, looking entirely away, it's hard not to cheat, but I don't. usually they take about 30 seconds.

jerry- I've got the beer.

ej- posting my fave for you

jan- I try to capture the person as well as I can, many of the ones I do have a distinct likeness.

rs- I sat in front of the mirror above my bathroom counter with my feet in the sink and sketchbook on my lap. ha. Took about 20 seconds on this one, and I try to keep my pen on the page at all times, but it doesn't always happen.

cleo- valid. well. I wouldn't send these to a gallery, but I like them for my sketchbooks. I don't think a museum would ever be interested hehehe. glad to see you posting again.

here's my favorite so far ... Paul

JeanineJ
09-05-2001, 02:50 AM
Very cool!:clap: :cool: :clap:

Cindy
09-05-2001, 08:11 AM
I saved that one of Paul - tremendous!

Sandi
09-05-2001, 01:35 PM
I'm so glad I popped in here this morning! (I'm trying to wean me again aarggh).

These are fantastic Jnet!! Your line is so expressive and bold, yet vulnerable. VERY nice work!

I've been a blind-contour addict for years too! Also a semi-blind contour addict. (semi-blind is when you never look at your paper except to begin a new line. For instance to see where to start the eye, then continue with blind contour). It's amazing to me to see the differences between let's say an incredibly slow as an ant huffing and puffing over the hills and valleys with your pencil, or gliding as fast as you can with your charcoal, and all the speeds in between like a value scale has.
I still love to paint upside down too! My last one of Ruth for the projects, was upside down, for instance.
It's great to see someone like yourself enjoying this style too! You encourage me to keep on doing what I love, rather than giving in to the demands of 'real'. (A fight that shows up dramatically in my work at times when I try to please the downers). But, I must say, even with as much as I've been in love with blind contour drawing for years, I've never ever even come close to as wonderful line as you have. You've got it goin on!

Gollator
09-05-2001, 01:45 PM
tremendous power in every line. well, nothing that has not been said before, even "i saved them on my harddisk" is old news. *sigh*

dornberg
09-05-2001, 09:42 PM
kind of like
drawing a whole room
on one page
360 degress of observations
a skewed perspective
gives rise to new relations
abstracted from the too common

jheinrich
09-05-2001, 10:32 PM
jeanine::cool: back at cha

cindy:thanks, it helps to practice, paul was late in the day.

sandi: blind contour drawing. thanks, I couldn't remember the name. as i said to cindy, practice makes all the difference.

gollator: sigh, awwww ....

dornberg: much appreciated, you gave me a whole new idea ... cheers.

thanks all, I'd love to see yours if you have any!

yogi
09-05-2001, 11:14 PM
You're right. This is entertaining. I have no shame, so I'll show you my first ever blind contour attempt. Didn't look at the paper once, and boy does it show! How in the world do you locate the facial features where they ought to be?! :)

As you can see, there's been a major facial slide here! Tee hee. It's worth a chuckle anyway! :D

I call this piece, "Garble Face." (LOL)