PDA

View Full Version : New Works

Collin
04-11-2004, 09:30 PM
THese are four of my new pieces that I have done in the last couple of months. The first is "Triptych: The Dance", the second is "Obstacle 1", and the third is "Obstacle 2". The last image is called "Man at the Crossroads" and this is it in its alnmost complete stage, the three naples yellow panels on the walls and floor are different colors now, walls are both glazed in a light cobalt and the floor panel is glazed in a red, there is also more cast shadow from the figure in the finished work. You can view all of the full size images here, http://www.portfolios.com/profile.html?MyUrl=CollinMcKelvey

Tamana
04-12-2004, 09:00 PM
Hi, Collin...I really like the palette and texture of Obstacle
1. Is Obstacle 2 a diptych? If it is, seems like it doesn't flow from one panel to the next, perhaps a separation of panels would strengthen the overall design some by allowing each panel to stand on its own verses being (imho) drowned out by the other.

How did you acheive your textures?

Collin
04-12-2004, 11:06 PM
Thanks Tamana, my professor, and advisor both thought that Obstacle 1 was the best out of these works, it is also the only one out of three that I submitted to the Young Contemporaries show this year that was accepted, the other two were Obstacle 2 and Triptyich: Dance, but 1 out of 3 is not bad at all when only about 35 works were selected from all of the entries. In the detail that I attached, you can see the texture, and also on my website on the full size images. I acheived the texture by a few different processes, the first would be a lot of paint, I got the finer lines underneath by dripping gesso and free flowing acrylics on the canvas over another painting that didn't work out, then I mixed up some house paint with something called Paint-n-Tex, which is supposed to be used for texturing walls, this is how I came up with the raised texture that covers the canvas, and then a heavy coat of the green and orange, which are both straight from the tube oil paints. I used the same techniques in Obstacle 2, but with a heavier consistency to the textured paint so that it was the consistency of paper machey(sic).
As far as Obstacle 2 not flowing as much as I would like, I have been working on it, and it has gone through at least four different phases.

Collin
04-14-2004, 11:34 PM
btt???

Collin
04-20-2004, 01:10 AM
btt???

Tamana
04-20-2004, 09:15 AM
wtf?

Sundrop
04-20-2004, 12:50 PM
I like these,the different textures,the colors,the arrangement.........good work..