PDA

View Full Version : Phoenix

baquitania
04-11-2004, 01:06 PM
This has been a labour of love for over a year, actual work time was about 21 days when she could spare the time. It was started from this drawing (http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=160789&highlight=Phoenix) and if you click that you can see the WIPs... Here are some weird angle close ups, all comments welcome!

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/11-Apr-2004/3278-Phoenix-finished-007.jpg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/11-Apr-2004/3278-Phoenix-finished-008.jpg

Bobby & Diane

DeberLee
04-11-2004, 01:20 PM
She is absolutely beautiful. An incredible piece of art. Congratulations on finishing her. :clap: :clap: :clap:

And thank you very much for sharing her.

DonnaBee
04-11-2004, 01:24 PM
She is beautiful! Extraordinary! :clap:

DebbieSue
04-11-2004, 02:37 PM
It's beautiful! Is it made of cloth? It's a little hard to tell. It's absolutely gorgeous. I would love that hanging over my bed! :clap:

Debbie

debkauz
04-11-2004, 03:00 PM
OMG!!! Stunning! What a labor of love that is. :clap: :clap: :clap:

Debbie

artbabe21
04-11-2004, 03:23 PM
WOW...Bobby & Diane...OUTSTANDING WORK!! The planning alone had to take forever! Congrtas! Please tell more about the process...:D

Shirley C.
04-11-2004, 03:38 PM
wow, this piece just knocks me out! what an incredible amount of work. your fabrics are wonderful, and the stitching adds so much to the piece.

is it done with curved piecing, like caryl bryer fallert's work, or applique, or a combination of techniques?

FABULOUS!!! :clap: :clap: :clap: thanks so much for sharing.

lisilk
04-11-2004, 03:53 PM
Bobby and Diane

Just awe inspiring as usual. :clap: :clap: :clap: I would love to see one of your pieces in person someday.

Li

beclectic
04-11-2004, 09:31 PM
Beautiful work. I can tell from the pic with the bed that it is large. It must have even more impact in person.

Thank you for sharing it here. It must feel kind of odd, after working on it so long, to be finished with it.

flynfire
04-11-2004, 09:38 PM
and again, WOW! I have a friend in Illinois who creates art quilts so I can appreciate the work involved in that. Fabulous.

LLane
04-11-2004, 10:02 PM
Absolutely Beautiful!!! A wonderful piece!! Thanks for sharing!!!

Peace,
Lois

Patch
04-12-2004, 06:46 AM
SUPERB WORK :clap: :clap: :clap:
Patch

Barrie
04-12-2004, 07:36 AM
Truly amazing! You guys make a great team!

Emjay
04-12-2004, 07:59 AM
OUTSTANDING! I can't imagine the time involved in something like this.

jacki
04-12-2004, 01:32 PM
Breathtaking!!! What a joy it must be to live with her :clap:

Beautiful, from concept to completion. What an accomplishment!!

jacki
04-12-2004, 01:41 PM
more :D Had to go look again, it is so wonderful! I love the fabric choices, the colors and patterns are so perfect. Diane, did you dye and paint them yourself? The shading is very cool too! I would love to see some real close ups of the stiching :)
I am so envious (in a positive way :) ) of your ability to take on such a giant project, and finish it so beautifully.

ValorieCox
04-12-2004, 04:03 PM
Fantastic Bobby and Diane! I thought it was stained glass for the first few photos. Clearly a labor of love...gorgeous! Val

Charlee
04-12-2004, 04:08 PM
That is absolutely, heartstoppingly gorgeous. WOW!!!
:clap: :clap: :clap:
Had to force myself away from the pic in order to post a reply. I bow down.

Charlee

Kerensamere
04-12-2004, 09:23 PM
I am so glad you shared this with us! It's truly stunning! I'm also glad to see more fiber artists showing their work here. I was also wondering if any quilt artists would find their way here too. Please keep sharing, I think it's good for all artists to be exposed to one another's work, it's so inspiring! :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

artbabe21
04-12-2004, 09:49 PM
I'm also glad to see more fiber artists showing their work here. I was also wondering if any quilt artists would find their way here too. Please keep sharing, I think it's good for all artists to be exposed to one another's work, it's so inspiring! :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Wow.....I entirely agree with what you have said...contrary to what it may look like in here, it's NOT exclusively a jewelry forum & we warmly welcome fiber artists!! :D

diane555
04-13-2004, 08:10 AM
Thanks for all the positive comments :) To answer a few questions..I do sometimes hand dye/paint my own fabrics although I don't have much free time lately. Many of these particular fabrics were purchased, either from a fabric artist or from regular sewing stores. Some are batiks, some hand dyed or painted and some regular cotton prints. Whatever catches my eye (or Bobby's) we buy! LOL

Jacki: I've included a macro of a small area to show some of the stitching, which is all machine done these days. I like to call it "thread drawing" for lack of a better word. Ignore that stray thread I forgot to brush off :D
Thanks for looking.

Di
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/13-Apr-2004/4220-phoenix_detail1.jpg

jacki
04-13-2004, 02:10 PM
:D Wow!
Diane, I cant even imagine how you could accomplish that in a month of sewing. Beautiful stiching! I love the subtlety and shading. Do you have a long arm machine? or is it a process of rolling? I have done a bit of this, but only smaller pieces, or lighter weight fabrics. I am so impressed! :clap:
I would love to see more pictures of your work! :)