PDA

View Full Version : Contemporaary Enough ??

Kathryn Wilson
04-10-2004, 10:35 PM
Hi, I usually hang out in the Pastels Forum, but wanted to get some comments on this Oil Pastel painting.

I've worked with soft pastels for some time now and have wanted to give oil pastels a try. I struggled with them for about six months, never achieving what I felt was a worthwhile painting.

I attended a workshop this last weekend and found that I had been forcing myself to work with oil pastels as I would with soft pastels and it was not working - then, going totally in the other direction, and with lots of experimentation, this came home with me. 16 x 20 on gesso board

For the last week I have been thinking that I would like to do a series of these paintings, but was not sure what genre they fit into - it suddenly hit tonight that it could be considered contemporary - and I got excited about that idea.

Would this be considered a contemporary style painting and any C&C welcome.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/10-Apr-2004/14941-red-sky-1.jpg

Smileawhyl
04-10-2004, 11:20 PM
I love the undulation of that red sky! I've never used oil pastels but I've seen some very effective use of them blended with regular oils.

Kathryn Wilson
04-10-2004, 11:32 PM
LOL - well, the class was fun - most of this painting was finger painted. The Oil Pastels do go on the board very similar to oil sticks, but the binder is different and I've been told not to mix the two. The oil pastels never totally dry so I suppose putting them on top of oil paint would be okay, but to put oil paint on top of oil pastels could cause a problem.

Thanks for taking the time to comment - hope to hear from others too - :)

TeAnne
04-10-2004, 11:48 PM
I love it. It's a futuristic world. Love those colours. :clap:

Kathryn Wilson
04-11-2004, 07:25 AM
I love it. It's a futuristic world. Love those colours. :clap:

Hi TeAnne, Wow, it takes a fresh pair of eyes to see what I did not see - a futuristic world - never thought of that. Interesting and fun - :D

Collin
04-11-2004, 09:41 PM
I think this looks great, and can defiantly be considered contemporary. I really like how you worked the area of the sun and the surrounding atmoshpere, and I love the colors, vibrant.

Tamana
04-12-2004, 09:04 PM
:D ! Oil pastels! Love em! Though I've just started playing with them *shrugs* I like this painting and I don't...it seems like you used most of the colors in a horizontal pattern -- lines with no cohesion. Does that make sense? I mean if that's what you were going for (re: contrast vs. blend) then you certainly achieved it.

And yes, I would definitely say contemporary. :)