PDA

View Full Version : caramalized sugars

gan
09-04-2001, 12:15 PM
the kansas city la strada dell arte street painting festival is quickly approaching and since i’m a new member to wc i thought i’d post my contribution from a previous year’s festival (last year’s was rained out). it’s titled “crumby” and was supposed to be 6’x8’ it ended up being more square since it started to rain. the entire piece is done with pastels. i don’t normally work in pastels but the festival gives them out free to contributing artists and it works best for street painting. enjoy.

Christie
09-04-2001, 12:22 PM
Looks like breakfast at my house!

Seriously though, I like this. If pastels are not what you normally use, perhaps you want to add them to your skill set?

gan
09-04-2001, 12:41 PM
i like the way pastels look on asphalt (and the dark background) but as far as trying to work with them on papers i have not had good experiences. working on large scale pieces seems to be easier for me (with pastels) than small pieces. i've also noticed that unlike upright work, street work retains much of the pastel dust; this enables you to work with more pigment and thus at times you end up "painting" more than drawing with them.
i like street painting, and perhaps i can start doing it more as a regular output for my work (aside from any festivals).
for me pastels and streets were made for each other.

i forgot to mention that if you work in the heat on street paintings don't forget the knee pads and gloves to keep your knees and hand(s) from burning!