PDA

View Full Version : Conglomerating the stickies

Moth
04-10-2004, 07:11 PM
Hi guys!

Lots of great stuff going on here! :D

I noticed quite a few stickies up there too. LOL

I was checking out the Deep Blue Sea project thread and noticed some discussion about how best to sticky important threads without jamming the forum with stickies.

Thought I would post a thread for people to state their preferences.

Personally, I think that all links posts should be stickied together. Whether they are tutorials or suppliers. There are always some duplicates anyway. Example: Connie Fox's site is both supplies AND tutorials. So are WigJig and others. It wouldn't take that long for someone looking for links to figure out which ones they want.

Also, I think that the projects and exchanges should be stickied in one thread called something like, 'Current projects and exchanges'.

As far as the introductions thread goes, people will post their intros either in there or directly in the forum anyway, so there will probably always be at least one thread in the forum welcoming or announcing someone. Might as well it be a sticky so they are at least all in one spot and new people can find out about some of the members who have been around a while without digging around through past posts. Also, we don't all catch every intro when it floats through and a sticky is something you can catch up on anytime.

I think if the intro thread were put together with another one, it might not easily be used by a new member who doesn't really know their way around yet, so I think it has to stand alone.

Maybe our stickies should be like this:

Wearable Arts Artist Introductions
Wearable Arts Current Projects and Exchanges
Wearable Arts Helpful Links to Tutorials and Suppliers

and possibly a 4th linking to our own past threads and posts that have earned 5-star rankings. Kinda like a 'Wearable Arts 101'.

So, what does everyone else think??? Post your ideas here. :)

~~Mary

beclectic
04-10-2004, 07:45 PM
Mary,

I think you have laid out a very workable plan. I've been trying to think of something but I never came up with such a compact organization.

I hope your plan or something very like it wins approval. :clap: :clap:

DonnaBee
04-10-2004, 07:58 PM
Wearable Arts Artist Introductions
Wearable Arts Current Projects and Exchanges
Wearable Arts Helpful Links to Tutorials and Suppliers

and possibly a 4th linking to our own past threads and posts that have earned 5-star rankings. Kinda like a 'Wearable Arts 101'.

I think this is well thought out and covers everything! :)

jennakate
04-10-2004, 07:58 PM
i like it too. :)

Barrie
04-10-2004, 10:36 PM
:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

That looks like a very well thought out, organized solution! (Wanna come organize my studio...................pretty pleeeeeease!!!!!)

LLane
04-10-2004, 11:30 PM
:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: That looks like a very well thought out, organized solution! (Wanna come organize my studio...................pretty pleeeeeease!!!!!)

I'm closer.... me first!!!

Mary.... great ideas!! But I also wanted to tell you I think the word "conglomerating" is really cool!!! : :cool: :D

I love the commitment people have here.... isn't it great to see everyone so interested in how to make things workable!!! :D :clap: :clap: :clap:

Peace,
Lois

Shirley C.
04-11-2004, 12:17 AM
so each project will have its own thread (like always), but the thread that is a sticky will be kind of like an "index" of projects, i.e., the sticky thread will have a link to each individual project thread. correct? like what cheryl did for us in the glass art channel? i like that! and i like the stickies you've suggested.

will that consolidated projects/exchanges sticky include both "official" and "unofficial" projects? i think it should. we have a project called Fiber Arts Project that is not an official project, and it isn't a sticky either. last time i looked, it was at the bottom of page 2 and as more threads are added to wearable art (no pun intended), i think that Fiber Arts project will disappear from everyone's radar. i'd like to see it added to a consolidated projects/exchanges sticky. yes? no?

also, i have a suggestion for the consolidated projects/exchanges sticky. if we're going to put projects and exchanges in the same sticky thread, i'd like to see the links to projects separate from the links to exchanges, with each list of links having its own heading (in the body of the sticky thread). otherwise, someone might think a project is an exchange, when it isn't (and vice versa). does that sound reasonable?

thanks for suggesting this, mary!

Moth
04-11-2004, 12:43 AM
so each project will have its own thread (like always), but the thread that is a sticky will be kind of like an "index" of projects, i.e., the sticky thread will have a link to each individual project thread. correct? like what cheryl did for us in the glass art channel? i like that! and i like the stickies you've suggested.

will that consolidated projects/exchanges sticky include both "official" and "unofficial" projects? i think it should. we have a project called Fiber Arts Project that is not an official project, and it isn't a sticky either. last time i looked, it was at the bottom of page 2 and as more threads are added to wearable art (no pun intended), i think that Fiber Arts project will disappear from everyone's radar. i'd like to see it added to a consolidated projects/exchanges sticky. yes? no?

also, i have a suggestion for the consolidated projects/exchanges sticky. if we're going to put projects and exchanges in the same sticky thread, i'd like to see the links to projects separate from the links to exchanges, with each list of links having its own heading (in the body of the sticky thread). otherwise, someone might think a project is an exchange, when it isn't (and vice versa). does that sound reasonable?

thanks for suggesting this, mary!

Hi Shirley, Yes, what I had in mind (though I am no authority, trust me LOL) was to have the projects sticky be like an index of all the project/exchange threads going on at any given time. Just like the one Cheryl set up for us glassies.

And yes, I agree with you about it including official and non-official projects/exchanges. If it is a project or a swap, it should be listed in the sticky project index whether it is official or not. I was in the #3 Newbie Swap for glassies and it never was made an official project and if you weren't subscribed to those threads it was hard to find them.

I do think it is easy to get confused about what is a project and what is an exchange because I thought the deep blue sea project was an exchange until I read that someone posted it wasn't later on in the thread. I think that is mainly though because I have never participated in a project that WASN'T an exchange. Now it makes perfect sense to me though. I think anything that clarifies that to people is a good thing.

Barrie, hehe...I already do that for someone else...sorry! :D I actually like to do things like organize and sort, so this was right up my alley. Hope it was helpful.

Thanks Lois!! :)

Beclectic, Donna and JennaKate glad that it seems to work for everyone so far! Thanks! :) :)

I don't think 4 stickies is too many, do you? I mean, we have a lot more than that over in the glass art forums if you consider we have three different channels over there. We only have one here to fit everything into.

G'night all!!!!

~~Mary

lisilk
04-11-2004, 05:35 AM
Since it's a brand new forum, we are still working out the kinks. Scott usually doesn't like to start a sub forum for projects until there are a few, so far we have one. LOL. Generally most forums don't have more than one/ two projects per month. That will come in time but I think the other ideas are valid and I'll bring this to the attention of the moderators.

The behind the scenes work here at WC takes time. Please be patient with us and we'll try to get everything to the majorities liking. Thanks for the input.

Li

Simply Bea
04-11-2004, 09:55 AM
Mary

Yes - very well thought out and organised..........

GREAT idea :clap:

Bea

TheBlueBetween
04-11-2004, 11:13 AM
I think it's perfect!

Moth
04-11-2004, 02:20 PM
Since it's a brand new forum, we are still working out the kinks. Scott usually doesn't like to start a sub forum for projects until there are a few, so far we have one. LOL. Generally most forums don't have more than one/ two projects per month. That will come in time but I think the other ideas are valid and I'll bring this to the attention of the moderators.

The behind the scenes work here at WC takes time. Please be patient with us and we'll try to get everything to the majorities liking. Thanks for the input.

Li

I don't think we want there to be a sub forum for projects...just a sticky thread listing what projects, exchanges and challenges are going on. Right now we have two. I guess I am used to the glass forums where we can have as many as a dozen projects, exchanges or challenges going on at one time and to avoid trying to sticky all those, we just have one thread stickied with links to the different projects. Here is a link to how it is set up. LINK (http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=164641) I agree, this Wearable Arts Forum is too new to be adding new sub forums yet. :)

I don't think any of us are in a big hurry...just tossing some ideas around to help out with the organization. :D

Thanks!
~~Mary

artbabe21
04-11-2004, 03:49 PM
Hi Mary,
I've been informed that projects are only stickied for a little while initially so people can become familiar with it then it floats up & down as people post to it. I'll get together with Diane & see what we can do about setting up an exchange sticky & perhaps it can encompass the projects too...:) Thanks so much for your input, it's appreciated. I like what Cheryl has done in the glass forum.

diane555
04-13-2004, 08:00 AM
Good morning all

Just wanted to let you all know that we will be getting the forum organized in the next day or so. As this is a new forum I was waiting to see what was needed and beneficial to all before adding stickies etc. I'm happy to see this forum is such a lively place already.

Di

diane555
04-15-2004, 08:08 AM
Just letting you all know that I'm working on the stickies. I want nice organized stickies and it's taking me a bit of time to copy so many things into the new ones so please be patient. I'm getting there :D

Di