PDA

View Full Version : The Sad Undoing of Miss Wobegone

Smileawhyl
04-10-2004, 02:49 AM
I started this almost a week ago and worked on it in the wee hours of pre-bedtime, anxious for a Friday, when I could finish the lower torso, hands and arms (which are still unfinished). I thought I had finished the rest, but that demonócolorócrept back into my palette as the sepia, pink and black study became a red head in a blue dress. I overworked it and tore a chunk out of her cheek. If anyone has any fixes for watercolor paper, I'm all ears. Unlike Miss Wobegone, who is uncheeked. And Somersetónow I know why I was feeling sick.

Thanks for taking a look and any advice. I might cross-post in watercolors for damage control. But it does answer the question, 'when is a crayon not a crayon . . . when it becomes a weapon'!

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/10-Apr-2004/28371-misswobegone.jpg

and close-up :eek:
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/10-Apr-2004/28371-misswobegone_detail.jpg

mame
04-10-2004, 08:43 AM
A couple of "make do"s:

1.take a similar shaped piece - torn not cut - of same paper and with archival glue(very thinly applied) gently adhere the patch, pushing the fibre edges into the surrounding area so it will be almost indistinguishable. Then paint over but be careful around the edges as where it is adhered it will be darker and create a "halo" of color around the repair so go sparingly!

From the back adhere a good high rag content paper (usually found at your local art supply store) with linen tape to torn area, then re-do front to blend in.

It won't be perfect - in fact you might turn the uh-oh into an ah-ha.
Could disguise the area after it is repaired with something - a tatoo, an interesting bug perched on her cheek..........hey! don't poo-poo it til you try it! LOL

By the by....re-visit the figure's right arm. It's way out of wack re proportion. Mentally moving the arm down to her side, it would hit way below her knee.
A rule of thumb - using the head as a measurement guide, the upper arm should be about a head and a half long including the shoulder and the forearm about a head long, not including the hand.

Take all with a grain of salt.

heh
04-10-2004, 09:02 AM
its still lovely
the whole
depth & life & light
o crayon queen,
iím so jealous of your hair skills

those crayons are neat
i didnít like the watercolor look when i was using them
(watercolors+me=uhohÖ)
so i used them with a gloss medium varnish
and a stiff brush, instead of water
it made the colors pop a bit
shiny and bright
but it lost some of the softness
and mixing didnít happen as easily
just food for thought
keep on keeping on

dena

Smileawhyl
04-10-2004, 11:20 AM
A couple of "make do"s:

1.take a similar shaped piece - torn not cut - of same paper and with archival glue(very thinly applied) gently adhere the patch, pushing the fibre edges into the surrounding area so it will be almost indistinguishable. Then paint over but be careful around the edges as where it is adhered it will be darker and create a "halo" of color around the repair so go sparingly!

From the back adhere a good high rag content paper (usually found at your local art supply store) with linen tape to torn area, then re-do front to blend in.

It won't be perfect - in fact you might turn the uh-oh into an ah-ha.
Could disguise the area after it is repaired with something - a tatoo, an interesting bug perched on her cheek..........hey! don't poo-poo it til you try it! LOL

By the by....re-visit the figure's right arm. It's way out of wack re proportion. Mentally moving the arm down to her side, it would hit way below her knee.
A rule of thumb - using the head as a measurement guide, the upper arm should be about a head and a half long including the shoulder and the forearm about a head long, not including the hand.

Take all with a grain of salt.
Great suggestions Mame! I can see the crux is going to be in the glue. I skinned this very badly and just wasn't thinking. I really shouldn't have been recoloring her to begin with.

The right arm is an interesting thing and one of the elements I was drawn to in deciding to do this series of pictures. The model seemed impossibly young, and inordinately angled (and I obsessively seem to draw smaller, which just makes things worse for the slightest miscue). I was going to 'harden off' her elbow as one of the latter elements, but a look at the model would probably explain better. Your keen eye is always appreciated. I have a much larger pic (this one is 6 x 9") which is 12 x 16 in the works where I'm more comfortable with the perspective. Many many thanks for your expertise!

I'll save the salt for a hopefully sweet batch of summer tomatoes. :D

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/10-Apr-2004/28371-misswobegonemodel.jpg http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/10-Apr-2004/28371-misswobegone.jpg

mame
04-10-2004, 11:27 AM
Gotcha, smile.
First rule: Everything stands in some kind of relationship to everything else.

Might be a visual thing re where you cut off at the bottom. Unusual but intriguing arm length on the model but perhaps where the photo cuts off makes the viewer perception "believable". Interesting.......

Smileawhyl
04-10-2004, 11:55 AM
its still lovely
the whole
depth & life & light
o crayon queen,
iím so jealous of your hair skills

those crayons are neat
i didnít like the watercolor look when i was using them
(watercolors+me=uhohÖ)
so i used them with a gloss medium varnish
and a stiff brush, instead of water
it made the colors pop a bit
shiny and bright
but it lost some of the softness
and mixing didnít happen as easily
just food for thought
keep on keeping on

dena
Thank you Dena :) for your comments and insight into your own experience with the medium. I love your dreamy marriage of elements. I can see how watercolor would not necessarily be a medium of choice, but I appreciate the details of your bold experimentation. Very interesting to think about.

I'll keep on if you will as well! :D

pampe
04-10-2004, 05:32 PM
Since it is not good quality paper...it will be hard to remedy..that paper cannot stand much working

You might carefully apply a little wc paint with a soft brush and see what you can do

Other that that.....SORRY

BTW..great painting!

Pam
Watercolor forum escapee

Smileawhyl
04-10-2004, 07:29 PM
Since it is not good quality paper...it will be hard to remedy..that paper cannot stand much workingI was afraid you were going to say that.

You might carefully apply a little wc paint with a soft brush and see what you can do

Other that that.....SORRYI was afraid you were going to say THAT, too

BTW..great painting!

Pam
Watercolor forum escapee
WAAAaaaahhhhhh, sniff :D Thanks Pam. Good to see you in this part of the WC world!

I appreciate the advice and the looksee! :)

arourapope
04-11-2004, 01:30 PM
I'm sorry she's got such a boo boo, but I think you're really onto something with your wc crayons. They seem to suit you well. Get some good paper so you can really play. :)

mame
04-11-2004, 01:44 PM
RISING STONEHENGE

It's indestructible. I buy it by the roll

(you can cut to suit yourself. Use a plastic picnic serrated knife. Works like a charm for a deckled edge "look")

http://www.artpaper.com/papers/stonehenge.html

http://www.danielsmith.net/cgi-bin/sgsh0113.exe

Smileawhyl
04-11-2004, 02:25 PM
So many thanks!

Aurora, I never thought of myself as anything but a dabbler in watercolor, but you may be right, I seem drawn to them right now (always attracted to that which I've not yet used to express myself).

Mame, thanks for the link and the info. I will stop by Utrecht's on my way home and check out the higher quality in stock too. I've just been buying the cheapo pads as I didn't know how jazzed I would be about continuing. Your source looks like a great outlet, especially with the range of color in stock.

TeAnne
04-11-2004, 05:32 PM
Even with her missing cheek there is something special going on here. She's fantastic. Will you do another?

Michael-Ann
04-11-2004, 07:26 PM
I don't know how I missed commenting on this as I admired it so...boo boo or no! I really like your models odd square angles and I like the way you represented her with the water colours...especially her hair. You did an excellent job of translating her attitude!

surreal
04-11-2004, 08:33 PM
I like this portrait immensely.
:D

Tamana
04-11-2004, 08:41 PM
I stay confused. Are you going to try and fix her? I certainly don't know enough about repairs on wc paper to help there, but I thought maybe you were going to take mame's advice and patch? I was kind of waiting for that; however, now it kind of sounds like you're just going to chalk this up to experience and try again?

Anyway, it's really a good painting, erm, coloring. :D Other than your apparant talent, I really enjoy the subject matter that you choose. Definitely carry on with the series...

Smileawhyl
04-11-2004, 09:11 PM
I stay confused. Are you going to try and fix her? I certainly don't know enough about repairs on wc paper to help there, but I thought maybe you were going to take mame's advice and patch? I was kind of waiting for that; however, now it kind of sounds like you're just going to chalk this up to experience and try again?

Anyway, it's really a good painting, erm, coloring. :D Other than your apparant talent, I really enjoy the subject matter that you choose. Definitely carry on with the series...
Definitely I am going to try to fix her. I just can't get by the store for the archival glue until tomorrow evening at the earliest. Mame was being nice to tell me of the fix. The paper is not the best quality and I am not holding out hopes of being able to effect a repair I'll be happy with. But I do plan to do more, hopefully many more, as I have always been fascinated by female icons and my housemates keep me supplied with high fashion photo mags.

But enough about me. I am really enjoying watching what is happening for you! It is a genuine treat in life to watch someone soar! Higher, HIGHER!!!

Smileawhyl
04-11-2004, 09:15 PM
Thanks TeAnne (I'm looking for your water color pastel pics in here soon!)

You too, Surreal, I appreciate your comment :D

And Michael-Ann :D I wonder what would happen if we cross the Dalai Lama with one of my ladies of the night . . .

elances
04-11-2004, 11:10 PM
Hi, Patty! :D

I think you've captured her beautifully--the hair is simply amazing! Curly hair seems so daunting to me, yet you make this look divinely easy! :clap: :clap: :clap:

As to patching: I don't work with watercolors, so this is not from experience, but just a thought--after patching, if you used a light amount of workable fixative over the patched and surrounding areas, and then painted over it, wouldn't that prevent the seepage and darkening around the edges? I'm sure one of the experienced watercolorists will let you know if I'm an idiot to suggest this! For all I know, fixatives can't be painted over properly with watercolor. :confused:

Now I'm going to be a horrible old nag:evil: ;) : whatever happened to poor Sappho? I hope you haven't forgotten your other lovely lady! I know how busy you are, but I just wanted to let you know some of us are anxious to see you finish such a beautiful painting! :)

Warmest regards always,
Erick

Michael-Ann
04-12-2004, 12:49 AM
...And Michael-Ann :D I wonder what would happen if we cross the Dalai Lama with one of my ladies of the night . . .

Hrrrmmmmm....kerchunkety, chunkety, chunkety (that would be the brain working)...you know it could easily go there with the lotus and pure from impure thingee... oh man yer bad cause I have to buckle down and work now that the weekend is over... I wanna play more!

I love the face of your urchin lady waif...

jolie
04-12-2004, 07:24 AM
I hope Mame's advice works for you because this is such a striking piece. I'm absolutely fascinated by her hair and for me it makes the piece. You've captured this model's beauty and confident attitude wonderfully.

However, the hands and the blue dress distract me. The hands don't seem as well drawn as the rest of the work, although I do understand that it's still a WIP. Take the criticism with a grain of salt because I couldn't draw hands to save my life! The blue in the dress bothers me because it is the strongest colour in the piece. It was the first thing I noticed before I saw anything else, but the hair is what kept my attention and made me want to look at the piece over and over.

I suggest you crop it to solve both of the above issues. I am forever suggesting cropping pieces to people, as I feel it often turns a really good painting into a kick butt painting by getting rid of the unnecessary bits and focusing on the real drama in the piece. I hope you don't mind, but I have taken the liberty of cropping it to show you what I mean.

Jolie