PDA

View Full Version : Saturday Morning 4/10 Show and Tell

Tink
04-10-2004, 12:08 AM
I've been plagued with nasty cluster headaches today, and staring at the monitor just makes it worse. So I'm gonna go lay down in a dark, quiet room until this passes. Bleah. I'll leave you with my one piece from last night (before the headaches kicked my butt). It's a new vessel: Gloria
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/10-Apr-2004/10179-gloria4.jpg
Amelia Earhart is next!!!! I actually did some sketches!

Kamaranoir
04-10-2004, 12:26 AM
Awesome vessel Tink :clap: :clap: :clap: :D

Penelle

Toni Lutman
04-10-2004, 12:31 AM
Wow! That is one gorgeous vessel. Hope you feel better.

Toni

Girlie~O~
04-10-2004, 12:47 AM
Oh Tink, I can so sympathize w/you!!!!! My worse cluster headaches come when I'm overtired (who would guess that w/four children?) Or pregnant and at which case could never happen again! (YIPPY)

Here's one of my latest on ebay:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=34070&item=4104158509&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW

Thanks for viewing!
Roseanne

Shirley C.
04-10-2004, 01:30 AM
gorgeous, tink! i love the vessels you've been showing us!

sure hope the headaches go away. i suffered from migraines for years, and they finally left me alone.

Briatha
04-10-2004, 01:43 AM
Tink Gloria is glorious! Hope the cluster headaches ease up soon. I get them too and they are NASTY!
Roseanne wonderful purple people eaters :)

Periwinkle Tsa

Jamn!
04-10-2004, 04:35 AM
Tink that is really awsome vessel. How big is it?? I just think the shape is incredible! :)
Briatha I just love lentils and the colors are really cool on this set!

I have been trying to figure out what to put in a set for ebay... Here are some that I actually did a few days ago but they are the colors I am currently working on!!! :) Oh and just ignore the bead release!

StefaniBeads
04-10-2004, 07:03 AM
Tink - Gorgeous!! I love the neutral colors with the little bits of blue here and there.
Rosanne - Great color combination! I love lime and purple! Cute name too!
Faith - Periwinkle over black is so nice, because it's opacity doesn't "fade" into the black. This color "pops! in this set!
Heidi - Turquoise and orange look wonderful together, and I love your zebra stripes! They're perfect, and mine are always a mess! :D

Here's some lavender and white swirlies, and some of Val's Tutti-Frutti.
The bicone is my Smircich attempt, and rather small. It's made on a 1/16" mandrel, and measures less than an inch long. My camera doesn't like orange very much, so it's not a very good pic.

jeffinthebox
04-10-2004, 08:46 AM
Great stuff! Tink another beautiful vessel. Faith, that blue just pops on the black...great.

Here's my 2nd attempt at a goddess...

Tink
04-10-2004, 08:55 AM
Where the heck IS everyone??? I was finally able to get some sleep last night. I buried myself into my nice, soft bed with FOUR pillows, a couple of blankets, a kitten and my well-worn copy of Glass Notes. LOL!

Thank you everyone for the nice comments about my vessel! It's 2" tall. I've always had a passion for little bottles and the like, so I find that I get a real rush from the process, no matter how many I make. I can remember blowing a vessel the first week I had my HotHead, even though I was told it was an exercise in futility. Ha!

Beautiful work this morning you guys. I think I'm going to go snuggle under the blankets with Henry Halem some more....

swamperfolk
04-10-2004, 09:04 AM
Lovely beadies, ladies. Here's my late night accomplishments. Watch is a b'day gift for a friend.

pearsonglass
04-10-2004, 09:09 AM
Nice work everyone,

Here are some more from this weeks work.

Brad

Onalee
04-10-2004, 09:25 AM
Wow! some lovely effects today. Don't remember the names to go with them but Tink your vessel is great and hope you feel better really soon so you can get to work on more goodies. Love the lentils, I still haven't mastered them consistantly, The goddesses are great colors and affects, and all the organic beads are wonderful. Brand your brown and yellow piece is brilliant. I notice it is the men who come up with all the precision work. Who would have thought that.Onalee

Helen Simon
04-10-2004, 09:31 AM
Great beads all! Tink, when your headaches flee, for which I'm praying, will you tell how to make a blown vessel? I've been making hollows on the end of an 1/8" mandrel, but my walls are too thick, and I have to heal the bottom, making it too molten, and it gets marked on the bottom of my kiln, top loading only...might happen with a blown one, too, or maybe I'll try to put a rod rest some way to hold it...hm...Thanks, Love, Helen, yet etching another vessel to camouflage the bottom marks...

Tink
04-10-2004, 10:30 AM
Great beads all! Tink, when your headaches flee, for which I'm praying, will you tell how to make a blown vessel?

Sure! The ones I'm doing right now are made on 1/4" hollow tubing. In a nutshell, I just get a gather on the end of the tubing (about the size of a large green grape) and blow. I like to add decoration and encasing before I blow.

I'll put together a tutorial soon. In the meantime, here are some of the important things to remember:

Let the glass form a skin before blowing
Blow in small puffs, continuing to turn the mandrel the entire time
Either use a standup mirror to watch the glass as you blow, or blow against a dark background and use the glow to center your work
Keep turning the mandrel even after you are done puffing air into it so it doesn't sag
Much of the vessel shape can be determined by the angle at which you hold the mandrel while blowing

It sounds like you're putting them into the kiln too hot. Wait a little longer and you won't get kiln marks.

Lara
04-10-2004, 11:37 AM
Tink - Wonderful vessel. Love the decoration and shape.
Faith - Great lentils.
Heidi - cute beads, very cheerful.
Lisa - Don't you just love Tutti Frutti, very nice barrel bead.
Jeff - Nice colors and designs on your goddess.
Linda - great beads, nice colors and shapes.
Brad - Awsome dot control, as always, very cool.

Here is my bead. You may or may not remember the strand of small lentils I showed here several weeks ago. This is the granddaddy version. It is a lentil, with an edge that I didn't melt back into the bead, but made a ruffle out of.

I would love any constructive critism you may have.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/10-Apr-2004/10029-Ruffled_organic_1.jpg

Lara

aimee
04-10-2004, 11:40 AM
Very cool vessel Tink. I like how droopy it is, looks like it's still molten.

Here's a long tube that I made sometime ago but I haven't had a chance to take a picture of. It about 79mm long.

greatfindsct
04-10-2004, 12:54 PM
:clap: :clap: Wonderful everyone!
Here is something new for me....etched floral whitehearts...I kinda like them, what do you think?
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/10-Apr-2004/32278-32.jpg

snootyvixen
04-10-2004, 01:24 PM
I'm rushing because I need to get some packages made up before the mailman gets here - which is SOON!!! But I just snapped a pic of what came out of my kiln this morning ... .bicone madness! Some of these I would consider my best work to date, so I'm going to take some individual pics a little later, but for now, please excuse my bad photography and the awful background (it's a dishcloth!!! ... a clean one, but a dishcloth nonetheless LOL)

Vikki
(who will scroll the S&T later)

Lizardglass
04-10-2004, 01:56 PM
OK ,been on a fusing kick lately but here's a little of both , here's my very first lampworked Dragon , I forgot the wings. The pic doesn't show but I fried the glass in his horn and claws and his spikes (down his back) on purpose because the bubbles make them sparkle from with in. I wish the pic was better but the sun isn't working with me :D
The next one is a terrible pic of a vase I made in a class with a woman named Scheri Martin . It has three flowers on each high peak and a dichro butterfly on the low ones .
The last is a bracelet I made my first wire-work project . It also has two sets of grapes that are not pictured, a green and a purple. I need to put it all back together after an accendent involving getting my Grandmothers dog out of her car. Anyway , it was an earlier set but still one of my favorites, I call it "My Cup Runith Over" ( I had just watched "Hope Floats" on DVD.

I Love everything I see her, I wanna spend a week with everyone , Just watching them work .

snootyvixen
04-10-2004, 02:21 PM
Tink - hope your head feels better soon .... beautiful vessel you have there! I so admire people who can do even handles! (Not that I don't admire you for everything else you do!)

Roseanne - I really like that set! The colors work so well together!

Faith - so pretty! (can black and periwinkle be considered "pretty"? Fairly masculine colors, right?) You know I love your lentils, and I owe you a photograph too!

Heidi - love your color combos too - what fun beads!

Lisa - WOW!!! On both sets! WOW WOW!!!! Such consistency in your sizes and shaping, and those colors ..... WOW!!!!!

Jeff - love your funky goddess - she's a treasure for sure!

Wow Linda! That's a lot of beads! I think my favorite (though I love all the "silver foil" beads) is the pink and white set with the trans. colored dots - very fun!

Brad - what can I say - sheer perfection! I wish I had the control over my glass that you have!

Lara - to die for lentil! How big is "grand-daddy"?

Aimee!!! 79mm??? Sheesh!!! I'm trying to make longer beads to challenge myself, but the best I can do so far is 45mm - it's a baby next to yours LOL

Jen - your whitehearts are super! So summery too - good job!

Liz - your dragon is so cute! The rest of your work is lovely, but the dragon takes my eye- wingless or not!

OK - out of the lot I posted before, this is my favorite combination, but I couldn't finish it because I had one of those "my bead release broke" moments .... it's red copper green with med. topaz stringer. I can't reproduce it because I don't have any more red copper green! LOL!

Vikki

Virginia L.
04-10-2004, 04:28 PM
Hello everyone, nothing from me till next week, they had to order my regulator - huge bummer, I can barely stand it, I have the urge to FLAME!!!
Beautiful work every one
Tink, so sorry about the headache, I used to have neorological headaches, nothing would help, thank God I don't have them anymore - Beautiful vessel, I just LOVE it
Roseanne, beautiful set, really fun colors
Briatha, Love the periwinkle lentils, very classy looking
Hiedi, GREAT color combo, what fun
Lisa that tutti frutti is wonderful, the others are wonderfully subtle
Jeff, interesting colors on the goddess, I saw your stars yesturday, they were GREAT, nice to know I inspired you
Linda, great silver'd ivor beads and I want to eat the one set, it reminds me of this candy I really like.
Lara - ooooooo, there is that bead again, such a hugely wonderful work of art
Aimee - nummy long beads, they are my current favorite
Jem - delightful, wonderful colors
Vicki - WOW, bicone fun all over the place
Lizard glass - LOVE the dragon, the vase is great and I love the corn and pumpkin
Vikki, great colors - looks good anyway, sorry the release broke.

Have a GREAT Saturday everyone - God Bless - Virginia L.

kybeadmaker
04-10-2004, 04:53 PM
Ahhh....the eye candy...beautiful work everyone!! Tink, I'm right there with you, gal. I've had a two day headache....I've had them for years....I always have a run of them and then a break. I do find that I feel more creative right after they are gone.....also...and this is kind of a dumb question, but does anyone else remember dreams when they are making beads?? I kind of figured the part of the brain that stores dreams must be close to the creative part because I can be minding my own business just happily making a bead and then suddenly remember a dream I had the night before. If you think I'm crazy...please don't tell me. Remember I am living under alot of stress right now, with no kitchen and a completely torn up house....and a show April 25th !!! Here's my latest
H

Patricia'sglass
04-10-2004, 10:05 PM
Harriet, those beads are gorgeous! They look like the still surface of a lake in moonlight with stars reflecting on it. Just gorgeous as all your work.

I can't imagine making a 79mm long bead! How do you keep one end from cracking?
Everyone's stuff is just awesome as always and that vase is magnificent!

aimee
04-10-2004, 11:50 PM
As long as you keep going back and forth and keep the ends warm, it's pretty easy. (Thanks to Kimberly!!!)