PDA

View Full Version : Purple Cosmos

judithj
04-09-2004, 09:27 PM
Diptych 20" wide and 36" high each acrylic on canvas

All Comments and crits are welcome.

I did these two canvases at the same time and I was intending this to be an underpainting for something - only I liked the way it turned out so much I am thinking I will just let it be.

Do you think that they are done?

Thanks for looking.

-Judith

PS - they are rectangular in real life - I just messed up the photography

VieSaintSo
04-09-2004, 10:09 PM
hmmmm
if you hadn't said that you weren't sure if it was finish....i would of said very sensuous...period. which in itself is very good......but....yep the big but...you could try to push this more....it could use a more focal point...a touch of somthig....that would make it go BANG or WOW, i would never pretend to say more or think more but i encourage you to do so. It's almost too "pretty"...please do not be ofended by that.
What ever you decide to do...sensuous it is! :)

Tamana
04-09-2004, 11:20 PM
Nice to see you back around here, JJ. :) It needs stars in the blackness of it. Tiny twinklings bold and bright through the night and barely discernable through the cosmos of gas...

I really like the palette and it's a nice size too.

surreal
04-09-2004, 11:23 PM
I think they are marvellous!!!
:)

judithj
04-10-2004, 05:07 AM
Hi Sylvie -- I have had these done in this state since September and I have not had the heart to take them further cause I just really loved the way that they turned out. Often when I go about finishing I loose this initial sensous quality... Sigh... What I will usually do is look for images in the initial underpainting and then find photo reference to paint thoes things in -- these 2 canvases show me feminine nudes... Only in this case I just can't paint them in because I think that it would mess up what has come to me - it feels like it is a gift... So they have sat for months in the hall just outside my studio door. I guess I am so in love with this part of the creative process - it holds so much promise - they could be anything... once they become something they loose anything. But I agree that they need to go further. Please explain 'too pretty' to me, I am not sure why this is not a good thing? Thanks for the encouragement. I really need it.

Hi Tamana--It is great to be back. The colours and this size of this piece are a delight to me too. My Dad made the canvases for me and they are works of art in themselves. Twinky stars... Mmmmm - yes - I could do that - that would be a lot of fun.

Hi Nina - thanks

VieSaintSo
04-10-2004, 12:35 PM
Judith,
i hear you! and understand you.like i said at first, to me it is nice this way period.....but since you seemed unsure i had to put my 2 cents in!
Haaa the "pretty" word...of course pretty is pretty....how can i explain that to me, sometime pretty is as bad as a 4 letter word.....its like perfection bothers me also...i like when something/someone....is a bit crooked (in a good way!) its more intriguing to me...more original. Hope i'm making sense.... :confused:

judithj
04-10-2004, 04:52 PM
Hi Sylvie - I think I understand your pretty comment now. You don't like superficial sickly sweet 'prettiness' (like the stuff you find on sentimental greeting cards?)...you like something that finds beauty in honesty... What is it about these imagery that you find pretty - is it the bright saturated colours?

Thanks for taking the time to explain, Judith

johnnyach
04-10-2004, 06:28 PM
Hi Judith,
I see naked women, when? all the time and especially in these paintings.

Lisaanne
04-10-2004, 07:41 PM
Earth, air, water and fire, the paintings remind me of these element blending together. Cosmic gases, the heart of a flame, or oil on water.

I like the colors and how they mingle and play with each other. It is a calming sensation, and one that makes me want to explore them further.

I would let spontaneity have its day! There is enough here to satisfy.

VieSaintSo
04-10-2004, 10:08 PM
Judith,
yes that about sums up...that and a barbie doll dress in pink ;)
i don't know what else to add, i'm almost sorry i brought this up, because more and more that i look at your painting and more i discover movement i had not paid attention to, and also great depht...which makes me realise that often i write to fast my comments without absorbing all of what a painting can give me,as yours.
so lets forget for now (anyway!) the meaning of "pretty"....to me you'r art is so much more :)

judithj
04-12-2004, 11:48 AM
HI Jonny - beautiful bare naked ladies Mmmmmmm ;)

Hi Lisaanne - Your comments are truely a gift. Thanks.

Hi Sylvie - I am glad you brought it up, your comments have given me much insight into my art process, something I have been trying to sort through lately. I appreciate your honesty and sharing what you think.

-Judith

VieSaintSo
04-12-2004, 12:57 PM
:cool: :)