PDA

View Full Version : Still Life Grisaille

arlene
09-03-2001, 11:03 PM
here is the grisaille finished for the still life I'm working on...tomorrow I start to add color...obviously the background is almost done...

size is 8" x 10"...I used only black for the urn and try and used clay rose for the tablecloth and black grape (my favorite) for the hydrangea.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/03-Sep-2001/stilllifescan4.jpg

Lulu
09-04-2001, 12:33 AM
WOW! I have 'dropped jaw syndrome' here Arlene! This is incredible, the detail, the cropping .... just amazing. I hope you will post progress pics so we can see how you build the colour with this one.
Did you use blue paper??

Ivyleaf
09-04-2001, 11:59 AM
Looking good :)

TeAnne
09-04-2001, 06:28 PM
I just know that this is going to come up PERFECT. Great detail. :evil: Progress pics please?

arlene
09-04-2001, 07:04 PM
Thank you...

Lulu: close your mouth, you don't want to catch flies. ;)

No I'm working on arches hot press 140 lb. watercolor paper. The blue is just cp. (many layers done with small circular strokes.)

I like it, but i think i prefer the stonehenge...but i was told by the guy in the art store that this is better for burnishing...and this piece is definitely going to need to be burnished.

Teanne and Lulu: I wasn't going to post progress pics, but I can if you'd like...should have another one tonight or tomorrow...this needs to be finished by next wed.

jaytee
09-04-2001, 07:22 PM
Lulu isn't the only one who is fly catching! This is a staggering piece of drawing............I cannot believe it is not an end in itself. I have never met the term Grisaille......... I guess gris = grey and therefore it may be something to do with a tonal study........... but surely not in such perfect detail? I too look forward to progress reports.

MissMouse
09-04-2001, 08:40 PM
Wow I had to have my hubby call the medics to get my jaw off the keyboard. This is awesome. I would never have the patience. Please post progress pictures.

TeAnne
09-04-2001, 08:51 PM
Originally posted by arlene

Teanne and Lulu: I wasn't going to post progress pics, but I can if you'd like...should have another one tonight or tomorrow...this needs to be finished by next wed. [/B]
Yes please :D

ShellyF
09-04-2001, 08:56 PM
WOW! I am totally astounded by your patience and talent for detail. This will be amazing! Yes, so please post progress pics

Beau
09-04-2001, 09:30 PM
I think its awesome Arlene! Love it!

Sorry its taking me so long to post....just been really busy and may not be around as much here anymore but I'll check in occasionally!

Beau

wendee
09-04-2001, 10:30 PM
FAB..UL..OUS...

yes progress pics please:D :D :D

Lulu
09-05-2001, 02:14 AM
We're all agreed Arlene - progress pics it is to be please.
And what is the name of the blue pencil used for the background???
Sorry, but when you post, you give yourself more work cos we all want to know in minute detail how you get everything so PERFECT!!!!
I promise to put a net over my mouth to stop the flies when you post again:D:D

arlene
09-05-2001, 11:18 AM
Jaytee: thank you...and yes you have the idea of what grisaille is. It's used alot in oils...many of the great masters did it. It sets the tone for you painting or in this case drawing. Another way other than grey or black is to use a complimentary color underneath.

On my clematis, I used black grape under the petals, a violet under the yellow centers, and a grey under the leaves, with a touch of red.

Pam: thank you...look for me to go back to the flowers next time...this was fun, but i find the flowers so much more interesting...i've got i think 4 or 5 of yours picked out to do already.

Erin: thank you...they say the more chaotic your mind, the more detail oriented you are....hmmmmmmmmmmmm.

Beau: thanks and thanks for your encouragement.

Wendee: thanks

Lulu: the color I used was blue violet. but I also used for shadows, black, cool grey 90%, 50% and 10%. And I made sure to stpray about 4 coats of fixitive on the blue before starting the rest...i needed to do the background first to get a feel for the rest of the colors.

(oh and believe me there are mistakes in this ;) )

billyjo30
09-05-2001, 11:07 PM
Very nice job. Love the details.:clap:

PhilC
09-06-2001, 11:55 AM
Looking Good really like the detial work.

arlene
09-06-2001, 09:30 PM
thank you billy and phil

Leaflin
09-10-2001, 08:33 AM
WOW Arlene
This is fabulous.

I have been going through some of my wildlife photos.
At first I thought your post said Gazelle!:D