PDA

View Full Version : my first painting, please critique!!

Tooth
04-09-2004, 07:10 PM
hello all, this is my very first attempt at painting. please give me any advice here. don't worry about offending, as i am very new to this and don't expect immediate success. in other words feel free to post any advice, that's why i'm here! thanks.

futurebird
04-09-2004, 07:15 PM
Holy cat this is yummy! I think it's a little too vertical-- but other than that I love it.

-S

judithj
04-09-2004, 09:43 PM
Hey Tooth

That is quite remarkable for a first painting. You really have choosen an interesting group of colours and have mixed them with a lot of subtley (why did they ever remove the spell check?)

You must have a background in a medium other than painting?

Well Done, Judith

VieSaintSo
04-09-2004, 10:15 PM
First, welcome to the basement!
Yes it is vertical.....i am playing with this right now...not easy.
Vertical isn't good or bad....it depends were it takes you....
what to me is a big achievment for you if you are new at this is you play with the blues; very well done, can't wait to see your other post! :)

Tamana
04-09-2004, 11:29 PM
Hello, and welcome. :)

I especially like the depth you've achieved with the brown section. It's a very good first painting. It will be interesting to watch your growth.

Faded
04-10-2004, 08:18 AM
Hi and welcome to wetcanvas. I really like this, reminds me of an aerial pic of a city. I look forward to seeing more of your work.
-Faded

Smileawhyl
04-10-2004, 09:51 AM
I think this is an excellent first painting. Your intentions seems clearly rendered. Nice deconstruction of form and impression of depth in space. Reminds me of a city (were it turned 90 degrees CCW) which has crystallized, existing only in planes.

You've got great places to go with your art by this indication!

jnet11
04-10-2004, 01:43 PM
me too! hope to see you around here lots :D

Tooth
04-10-2004, 09:06 PM
thank you all for the comments. and Smileawhyl, it was actually originally supposed to be 90 deg. CCW, but i decided i liked it better this way. do you think it looks better on the side or as is??

judith, i've been into photography for a few years and have hopefully developed an eye through that. and i'm a dental student, so i'm quite used to working with my hands, but usually in three dimensions and on a much smaller scale.

this is a great site, i look forward to learning from all of you.

TeAnne
04-10-2004, 10:35 PM
I like :) I would have it horizontal. Then call it "Urbanism" :)
This reminds me of how Piet Mondriaan broke down the tree to get his abstract.
http://www.artchive.com/artchive/ftptoc/mondrian_ext.html

arourapope
04-11-2004, 01:32 PM
I like the subtly of the colors. Very calm. The geometry of it appeals to me also. Welcome to wc.

mame
04-11-2004, 02:49 PM
I don't think it's time yet - to critique.
Get a few under your belt - 10 or 20 or....
Do some reading and some looking. Find a couple of art gods/goddesses to study, ponder.
Experiment with ideas/materials.

Hit some brick walls.

See ya in a spell :D