PDA

View Full Version : No time for your two cents.

futurebird
04-09-2004, 04:50 PM
All comments are welcome. Impressions... sugestions... insults?

judithj
04-09-2004, 09:59 PM
Hi Future

here are my 2 cents - hope you have time....

My knee hurts me, I am running and my knee is hurting and hurting.

My knee is hurting me so much my head got cut off... ;)

I like the idea of using the graphic shapes to interact with the figure. It would be intersting to see it in a more finished state.

-Judith

VieSaintSo
04-09-2004, 10:01 PM
This is promising....i also think it could be push further....now as it is (to me) it loooks more like an ad.....know what i mean? :)

futurebird
04-09-2004, 11:12 PM
This is promising....i also think it could be push further....now as it is (to me) it loooks more like an ad.....know what i mean? :)

And ads aren't art?

(I do know what you mean... it's just a question worth asking.)

Most people get most of their artistic expereinces from popular media-- I'm not saying that's a good thing.

Tamana
04-09-2004, 11:54 PM
This is a difficult style to master. I don't think I could because I don't know when to stop. And, knowing when to stop is essential. So, I have to consider that my not knowing where to stop affects my judgment of the piece. I am currently studying some works that I adore (Sigmar Polke is one) that run along this genre. I loved his mathematical equations and use of fabrics and inks (sumi being my favorite) and have the materials but haven't braved putting it together...yet...blahblahblah...

So in looking at this piece and the style I can honestly say that I like it, but I don't. And that in and of itself is pretty good in that one has to even ponder it. And I've pondered what I like (the movement/design) and what I don't (too much negative space/design). The design being that I too don't like the head cut off. But then with the head your intended focus may have been altered. I mean as it is, the movement of the design takes the eyes smack down with the impact of that foot.

Again, a style I'm just now looking into and admire anyone braving it.

Smileawhyl
04-09-2004, 11:58 PM
And ads aren't art?

Most people get most of their artistic expereinces from popular media-- I'm not saying that's a good thing.
I think it's exciting. I would like to do a manipulation of your image to give you a sense of the type of tension I think it could generate if that is okay with you.

futurebird
04-10-2004, 12:08 AM
yeah that's fine with me.

Smileawhyl
04-10-2004, 12:44 AM
yeah that's fine with me.
The mention of ads is what struck me about your picture. It didn't look painful to me, it looked like a fun expression of impact points. Which made me think of colorful impact and how the image would make a fun night run in an accentuated city backdrop. I thought the focus of your painting was interesting and lent itself to an interesting backdrop.

I haven't manipulated your image except to pull as much of it from the page as possible to superimpose over the scenery which is a daytime picture of Chicago which I transformed to night. If you note near the foot, you will see "Missing in Chicago". I really like your image and the impressions you used to build the image. You could use this technique in a mixed media piece. Thank you for letting me think out loud with your runner! Hope it gives you some more radical ideas.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/10-Apr-2004/28371-2centsmanip.jpg

futurebird
04-10-2004, 01:32 AM
The setting *is* meant to be a city-- but I was shy bout doing to much with it-- this has really given me a few ideas! Thanks!

Smileawhyl
04-10-2004, 02:25 AM
The setting *is* meant to be a city-- but I was shy bout doing to much with it-- this has really given me a few ideas! Thanks!
:cool:

VieSaintSo
04-10-2004, 12:27 PM
And ads aren't art?

very good point! of course ads is art....i like what Smile did with it.
i'm sorry about my remark, very supperficial of me :o

jnet11
04-10-2004, 01:50 PM
I'm diggin it, but I had to tell you that when my 5 year old saw it, she said it was the coolest thing she'd seen all day :p

gotta love kids

Mikey
04-10-2004, 06:08 PM

futurebird and Patty - rocking.

Mikey

futurebird
04-10-2004, 06:17 PM
I'm diggin it, but I had to tell you that when my 5 year old saw it, she said it was the coolest thing she'd seen all day :p

gotta love kids

When I was 5 my dad took me to MoMa and the jackson Pollock made me cry "daddy I don't liiiiiiike it!"

5 year olds know what they are talking about when it comes to art.

;)