PDA

View Full Version : Self-portrait 12 X 18

dollardays
09-03-2001, 09:58 PM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/03-Sep-2001/blackdress.JPG

Any comments welcome. I'm new to acrylics. Having a hard time but still plugging along. Everyone was very helpful with my last post. I am now keeping the acrylics from drying out with spray and keeping the palette in a plastic bag. (Thanks for those tips!)

This was done from a photo and I was feeling really bad when I did it. My husband had forgotten our anniversary and I was trying to express the emotions I felt. I am not sure if they come through... ??

The chair represents my isolation. The mirror represents how I had to pretend I didn't care. Even the wallpaper symbolizes that I felt like a "wallflower" and the flowers the event.

Can anyone guess what the purse represents?

Thanks,

Nora

Firefly
09-04-2001, 08:38 AM
Let's see. This is just a guess here. Does your purse represent your pride or oyur feelings? You look like you're trying to protect it. You did a wonderful job on the painting, btw. :clap:

cchapla1
09-04-2001, 09:23 AM
Hi Nora:
I really like this. I think the composition is wonderful as well as the symbolisms . I like the subdued colors that seem to add to the feelings you had. Did he ever remember your important day? Carole:cat:

YLCIA
09-04-2001, 09:44 AM
This is a wonderful work! i can definetely see the concern expressed on the face and the strain in the body position.

Great!

PS.
Sorry for the forgetfulness of your husband , I myself had that happen to me too at least a couple of times during our 31 years together.
Julia:)

dollardays
09-04-2001, 11:12 AM
Firefly: Let's see. This is just a guess here. Does your purse represent your pride or oyur feelings? You look like you're trying to protect it.

You got it- Firefly. To me it represents my thoughts and feelings about the whole situation. The purse appears empty- like I felt at the time.

He only remembered when I reminded him. Then it was no big deal to him so I basically pretended it was no big deal to me. I didn't show him this but maybe I will next year, (right before the anniversary) and see if he can figure it out.

Men... (no offense, forum.. not ALL men)

Thanks, YLCIA, Carole and Firefly, for taking a minute to look.:)

Nora

dcheek
09-04-2001, 07:29 PM
No offense taken. :evil: :D

The painting is very good and does display a melancholy, and it appears that you are trying to hold on despite the situation.

BTW did I say great painting.

dcheek
09-08-2001, 12:37 AM
Now that I've had a chance to edit out my rantings about a spouse that forgot a few things too, this deserves another run at the top.

bug
09-08-2001, 05:06 AM
This is a amazingly beautiful picture. You did a wonderful job on it I don't try to dig deep for meaning but yes I can see what looks like disappointment on your expression. Now as far as holding in those feelings, Why? if you felt hurt or disappointed you should have said so for yourself and your husband. If you let him know I'm sure he wouldn't make the same mistake twice. Just my observation but men are simple creatures not complicated like woman you know. What is really important is not that he may of forgotten your anniversary but how he treats and loves you everyday of the year! I'm sure it wasn't intentional maybe if you thought about it that way you would feel a little better about it (I hope). :)
oh well just my opinion-but try not to hold those kinds of feelings in not good for you! but great that you got them out with your painting and you did a grand job of it. Stay happy!:)

vallarta
09-08-2001, 03:27 PM
Nice work....but I hope that by now things have cheered you up.....

jpope
09-08-2001, 08:14 PM
Dear, I was kind of hopin' that the purse meant you went out on the town without him and let him figure out what the problem was by himself!:p (Sorry, I'm a divorce lawyer by day and just can't let it go).

Wonderful painting, wonderful expression of true feelings.

dollardays
09-10-2001, 02:34 PM
jpope: Dear, I was kind of hopin' that the purse meant you went out on the town without him and let him figure out what the problem was by himself! (Sorry, I'm a divorce lawyer by day and just can't let it go).

I contemplated that avenue for awhile, but things are all patched up now. No shortage of attorneys here- I'm a legal secretary by day. :)

Bug: What is really important is not that he may of forgotten your anniversary but how he treats and loves you everyday of the year! I'm sure it wasn't intentional maybe if you thought about it that way you would feel a little better about it (I hope).

You're right there, Bug. Thanks for taking the time to respond. I don't have an "artistic" temperament. I never fly off the handle or I would have let him have it. But he's a pretty decent guy who makes up for his forgetfullness with thoughtfulness in other ways so I'll be keeping him around (forever) I hope.

dcheek: Thank you so much for the compliment. Sometimes art can provide the closure we need. It helps me, anyway.

jpope
09-10-2001, 05:39 PM
Bravo, DD!:D

newtopaint
09-15-2001, 08:18 PM
Hello ddays,
I have to say first of all, excellent Job on your painting.

I can relate to you and most woman. i have to agree with Bug, Though i sympathise with you, i have been and still continue to be where you are. My husband has a terrible time with special dates. But, he is a great father and a dedicated husband.

I think you should paint many of these and we should all purchase one to hang above our hubbies heads!!! Im sure many, if not all woman can relate to your painting!!!

Please continue to show your paintings!! Maybe the next one could be... hopefully a Smile :-):clap: :clap: :clap:

Karen

Sumafra
09-16-2001, 03:18 PM
On another subject, I note here that we have a lawyer, a legal secretary, and me, I'm a legal administrator. And all artists. Kindred spirits we are. ;)

kiwicockatoo
10-02-2001, 07:35 PM
Sorry I didn't post this earlier, but I've been lurking around the colored pencil forum....

Nora, not only is this a beautiful painting, I'm just blown away by the way you handled the hands (no pun intended)... the are just so nicely done. I guess I notice because I have a hard time with hands myself, but they are just a lovely detail in an even lovelier painting, even if it has a melancholy theme. Wow!

dollardays
10-02-2001, 09:59 PM
kiwicockatoo: I'm just blown away by the way you handled the hands (no pun intended)... the are just so nicely done.

Thank you so much for the compliment on the hands. They are my favorite part in the painting, too, and I guess it just proves that practice really shows. I drew my hand for a project here at WC 3 or 4 times just before I did this and I think it really helped me to get the forms right.

I have to say that I don't really like the way this painting turned out. Maybe because of all the garbage I went through while I was painting it. But everyone else here at home really liked it so I ended up entering it in a local show a couple of weeks ago. I framed it with a frame I picked up at a rummage sale for a $1.00. (Yes, that's how much I thought of it).;) And it actually placed in the top five. I was surprised, but now it's back in the closet where I feel it belongs.

Karen: Thanks for your comments on it, too! I'm in a better mood these days and I'm sure my next works will reflect that. (I hope):)

Nora

tammy
10-04-2001, 12:37 AM
Sorry to hear about his forgetfulness, but your painting is wonderful. Sad, but wonderful. You've done quite well on it.