PDA

View Full Version : Valkyrie

somerset
04-09-2004, 04:03 PM
Digi
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/09-Apr-2004/15983-Valkyrie.jpg

Tamana
04-09-2004, 10:39 PM
It looks reflected; like watching an orchestration of regalia in an ocean of sky. Thought you'd gotten out your bamboo brushes?

surreal
04-10-2004, 12:20 AM
Beautiful colors, shapes and textures!
:D

Smileawhyl
04-10-2004, 12:55 AM
Michael :) It's the oddest thing (and I blame everything on my needing glasses and not getting them strengthen lately) but everytime I look at this image I feel a dizzy kind of queasy. I think it's the blur on top of my own blur, but I've come back to it several times with the same reaction. I'll look at it tomorrow and see if its just the sushi trying to speak. :eek:

somerset
04-10-2004, 01:46 AM
valkyrie
n : (Norse mythology) one of the maidens of Odin who chose heroes to be slain in battle and conducted them to Valhalla [syn: Valkyrie]

Thank you, Ladies. I have many (lol) criteria which define for me the success or failure of a piece. Yes I must like it but beyond that here are few more deciding factors.
One of the wonderful aspects of abstract is the opportunity to create something never before seen in this case Valkyrie. If you compare the rather dry dictionary definition with that of Tamanaís, one would have to say we connected. Happy we did Tam.
Another is color. Should I describe myself as an artist? Well, that is open to debate but I openly embrace being described as a colorist as that is how I try to tell my story. Thank you Nina.
Another is gut-felt emotion, the most difficult of all to portray and confine. Patty, I would hope that witnessing those wounded in battle would be discomfiting and perhaps heights make you dizzy.
P.S.
yep, I love those bamboo brushes :) I am working on a couple things which are primarily ink on watercolor background. Maybe by the end of next week I will have one finished.

heh
04-10-2004, 09:10 AM
blood in the water
an unsettling ominous happening

your last piece is still about in my head
words didnít want to come out for it
so i anxiously await your next ones

somerset
04-10-2004, 01:39 PM
Hey Miss Dena, thanks for stopping by! Always appreciate your viewpoint and encouragement.

jnet11
04-10-2004, 01:55 PM
absolution

awesome

lovin the color

somerset
04-10-2004, 11:59 PM
J*! Thank you for looking & liking.

Smileawhyl
04-11-2004, 12:11 AM
Sushi alert over, vertigo is vertigone :) I like the soaring atmosphere!

somerset
04-11-2004, 10:09 AM
Sushi alert over, vertigo is vertigone :) I like the soaring atmosphere!
Well I am glad that I am no longer contributing to your discomfort. ;)

mame
04-11-2004, 10:18 AM
computer geekdom

Don't know if/how digitally, but is there any way to get a "long view", i.e., a visual simulation(?) of this in space?

I don't even know how to ask the question.......

somerset
04-11-2004, 10:57 AM
computer geekdom

Don't know if/how digitally, but is there any way to get a "long view", i.e., a visual simulation(?) of this in space?

I don't even know how to ask the question.......
Is this what you mean?
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/11-Apr-2004/15983-Valkyrie.jpg

mame
04-11-2004, 11:10 AM
Txs Somerset but no.....

I thought a view of it on a wall? To get a sense of it in RELATION to space.
Just a quirk in my viewing - especially with this kind of intentional(?) soft-edged/blur thing going on.

If a pain, just ignore me. :rolleyes:

Smileawhyl
04-11-2004, 11:56 AM
Okay, I took one shot at it . . .
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/11-Apr-2004/28371-15983-ValkyrieMorf.jpg

somerset
04-11-2004, 12:04 PM
Thx Patty!

mame
04-11-2004, 01:05 PM
Okay! Thank you Smiley.

Have to mull this over......gotta think about intercepting this through what I think might be a "Western" paradigm/western eyes i.e., I want it to be the way I want it to be/ my gut reaction of discomfort - coy, overt manipulation - not of the work but of the viewer(me) - which may be the artist's intention - all's fair in love and war and art
color seems to strengthen this "message".
Blah, blah, blah. I'm so full of it :rolleyes:

Discomfort:
top heavy
I want to rotate the canvas 180 degrees.....dunno why. Maybe create weight/more "grounded"?
also - for me, a square format generally produces visual tension

Clarification - not implying any of this is "bad". Just gut-reacting as a run-of-the-mill, walk-in-off-the-street looker

arourapope
04-11-2004, 01:42 PM
I like it when you post. :) The "long view" is intriquing. It is an unsettling piece, and that adds to its power for me.

somerset
04-11-2004, 05:10 PM
Mame
Interesting. On this piece as with all works straight from my head with no real world reference I constantly turned it while working on it. If turned 180 the battlefield is accentuated but as I wanted to emphasize the ascension and the maiden...
Walk in off the street anytime :)

Thank you Aurora. It was meant to be unsettling, glad it works for you.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/11-Apr-2004/15983-28371-15983-ValkyrieMorf.jpg