PDA

View Full Version : Saturday Tell

DonnaBee
04-09-2004, 03:24 PM
I am still working on this cigar box purse. I am going to give it to my sis-in-law on Sunday when I go to dinner at her house. (I had meant to have it done by Christmas.) But, I really like the way this one is shaping up... It would have been a different design had I done it back in December, so I am glad I procrastinated.... Ideas were just germinating, that is all. ;)

Now I've built it up so much... I should have the pic for you all tomorrow. I am just really pleased with this. Many, many hours I have spent on this in the last two days! I am really enjoying it.

I come and check WC! in between the glue drying on various parts.

So, I didn't see a Saturday Show n Tell, (hope I didn't overlook one...) anyway... if you have nothing to show... then "Tell"! :D

DonnaBee
04-09-2004, 03:25 PM
I did it again... I know it is Friday... I wrote Saturday.... it's the glue fumes... :o :p :rolleyes:

I'll go open a window now.

TurtleBay Jewelry
04-09-2004, 03:32 PM
/falls off her chair laughing...

Donna hon, don't feel bad! My hubby is home today, which is unusual, and we're hosting a family game night for some friends this evening, thus we've been straightening the house, etc all day. So I keep thinking it's Saturday myself!

Hehehhe.

And I don't even have any fumes to inhale. Unless of course, you count Endust and Lysol in there. ;)

~Danielle

DonnaBee
04-09-2004, 03:42 PM
Now I have an excuse not to get out *any* Endust or Lysol (like I would anyway.)

Yesterday, in the Glass Lobby, I thought it was Friday. I am seriously scaring myself here. lol! It won't be funny if tonight I play Easter bunny... 24 hrs early.... nope.

lol, or show up at sis-in-law's a day early with casserole and my kids!

I need air! Boy, I worry about ventilation with the glass work.... It is clearly much more important in Mixed Media.... lol!!!

TurtleBay Jewelry
04-09-2004, 03:47 PM
Oh stop being a tease like Shirley! We wanna see pics of this stinkin' cigar box, woman!

Post!! Progress pics! Something, anything!

I'm dying over here waiting, as I clean (!!!!) my studio up. It always seems to be a gathering place when ppl come to the house. LOL.

~D.

beclectic
04-09-2004, 04:16 PM
Oh stop being a tease like Shirley! We wanna see pics of this stinkin' cigar box, woman!

Post!! Progress pics! Something, anything!

I'm dying over here waiting, as I clean (!!!!) my studio up. It always seems to be a gathering place when ppl come to the house. LOL.

~D.

Oh no, you didn't :::gulp::: clean your studio. How will you ever get your inspiration with nothing but clean surfaces to look at? :D

DonnaBee
04-09-2004, 07:43 PM
Sorry! I took a break from the glue to go grocery shopping!

One more day! :D

Barrie
04-09-2004, 08:12 PM
You guys are way too funny! What the heck is 'Endust' and 'Lysol'? Just kidding - I do know what they are, however I have decided that dust is such an integral part of what holds the house together that if I dust and clean, I'm sure everything will just implode! I guess that makes the dust 'structural' therefore, one does not mess with the structural part of the house, erego - no dusting!!!

Actually, my dh is busily redoing the bathroom, painting, putting up a new light fixture, etc. I'm down here in the studio under the guise of 'working'!!!! LOL!

Nope, not having procrastination problems today! Or for the past few days! I have completed 6 rings (two are headed to Ontario, one to Virgina and one to Illinois), a pendant, 99% of the 100+ charms I'm working on (custom), and have cut and soldered 25 ring shanks! So yes! Been super busy! I now have to file & sand all the shanks, finish soldering on the designs on the last of the charms, pick out stones for 25 rings, cut some dichroic and get that fusing in the kiln (finally got some clear Bullseye, so I can work with the black backed stuff I have). Hmmmm, might have to make some bedas here at some point too!! All right, all right, I'll get off the computer!! LOL!

Oh, I guess I should show you some pictures! Here's the two rings going to the States, and I'll take a picture of my workbench in full production mode! LOL! Talk about disaster areas!!! (I had to blur out some of the phone numbers in the drawer! :) ) Oh, and I'm throwing in a picture of a pearl ring that I finished that will probably go to either the gallery locally or my sales rep in Ontario - haven't decided yet! LOL! And by the way, macro shots SUCK for jewelry, shows everything, and magnifies imperfections that aren't even there! LOL!

DonnaBee
04-09-2004, 09:30 PM
OMG Barrie, those rings are incredible. I have *never* seen anything quite like them. I really love them, especially the first one, there is something luminous about that.... the pearls and gems... *swoon!*

DonnaBee
04-09-2004, 09:33 PM
I am going to clean my work area after this project, BTW. :eek:

I am working on a section of the table that is the size of the cigar box (and it's a small cigar box), it's all the space left... it is so funny (and you know I stopped at Hobby Lobby on the way to grocery shopping... and so now I added more doo-dads to the pile....

Shirley C.
04-10-2004, 01:40 AM
Oh stop being a tease like Shirley! ...~D.
bbwwaaahahahahahaha!!!!

dang, donna, you're slaying me. show me, show me, show me!

i've got 3 cigar box purses in progress - yeah, right - they've been in progress for about a year now. :rolleyes: i made beads for the handles of the 3 of them, but i ended up giving up on one of them. i turned some of the beads in the handle into a bangle that i sold to the nourot glass studio. kind of a bummer - the picture i planned on putting on one side of the purse is an art postcard that's a "head shot" of a blue and purple tiger. i made beads to match, two of which were black with tiger eyes on them. woulda looked cool on the purse. oh well...

donna, are you going to get me sidetracked into actually finishing a purse? i've got so many things to do! :D

can't wait to see yours, girl - i love the things that you do!

SuzyQ
04-10-2004, 09:31 AM
Barrie! You really do stunning work. I love the bottom one.

Donna I'm waiting......... lets see!

Shirley C.
04-10-2004, 12:09 PM
barrie, last night i got caught up in donna's cigar box stuff and i failed to comment on your wonderful work. silly me - it really IS wonderful! i think the first one is my fave - i love the colors.

so glad you showed a picture of your bench - it looks similar to my lampwork surface. and we won't mention my jewelry workbench. i'm just glad i'm not alone. :D

keep showing us your stuff!!

DonnaBee
04-10-2004, 12:29 PM
TEASE POST!

It's on my table outside with the clear acrylic coat drying.... Now, it isn't the Second Coming of Cigar Box Art or anything.... (at a couple points when making it, I sort of thought it might be, but that was the glue fumes)

but it's pretty good! I think sis-in-law will like it. She wants to put it in her china cabinet, and use it occasionally. It's a smallish one, she also collects the miniature handbags and shoes.

Next post will be a pic!

beclectic
04-10-2004, 12:33 PM
TEASE POST!

Next post will be a pic!

You :evil: ,Arrrrgggghhhhhh.........

You are making us crazy! :D

DonnaBee
04-10-2004, 01:21 PM
Here it is! Thanks for hanging out with me while I made it, even though I didn't post WIP pics!

DonnaBee
04-10-2004, 01:24 PM
I am going to get you guys some close ups of the beads and details... they didn't show up so well, and they are my favorite part!

beclectic
04-10-2004, 01:38 PM
Here it is! Thanks for hanging out with me while I made it, even though I didn't post WIP pics!

That is really nice.

I use those boxes to keep my beads in. They are sorted by color. I started getting them quit a while ago before you had to pay for them, I got them free because a friend of mine smoked cigars and made friends with one of the local cigar store owners. He has since stopped smoking cigars, darn it. I like the smell when I open the box to look for beads.

I have an oblong box from the same company as your box is from.

Shirley C.
04-10-2004, 02:00 PM
donna, that's a really nice purse! :clap: i was surprised to see the decoration inside the box (a little thinking "outside the box"?). yes, please show us some close-up pix!!

now i've got the urge to finish my 3 boxes - but i'll have to make another set of beads for the blue tiger. no time, no time, no time, c'mon everyone chant with me - no time, no time, no... :rolleyes:

i'm off to trim the bushes in the front yard - it's such a nice day that i need some sunshine. can't wait to see the close-up pix, donna - thanks for sharing!

DonnaBee
04-10-2004, 02:03 PM
Barbara, thank you! :)

I love the cigar boxes. There is a humidor in town, they used to charge $1.00 for the wood ones. then they got wise and started charging $3.00 - $5.00 per! That is okay. :)

I am a thread hog.... but here are three more closeups. The wood beads are just cheapies from the craft store, but I fell in love with the way they look. The 'lil red encased glass spacers are from ebay's glassjungle, and the striped animal-type lampworked ones are by Lorraine of Glass and Splinters.

DonnaBee
04-10-2004, 02:05 PM
Thanks Shirley so much!

I love to decorate the inside. It's like a surprise when you open it. Even if it's in her china cabinet... I love that the inside details are there.

DH asked me how it can hold anything, I explained this is a special-occasion handbag, only meant to hold a tiny cell phone, lipstick and credit card!

Shirley C.
04-10-2004, 02:42 PM
:clap: :clap: :clap:

donna, i love it!

mistymade
04-10-2004, 03:44 PM
Barrie, your rings are gorgeous!!!

Donna, I love your cigar box!

SuzyQ
04-10-2004, 04:10 PM
It's wonderful Donna! Worth the wait, thanks for sharing with us.

DonnaBee
04-10-2004, 07:55 PM
Thank you! :)

Wire Mania
04-11-2004, 04:39 PM
GREAT JOB Donna - That really turned out awesome.

Barrie
04-11-2004, 05:23 PM
Thanks everyone!! Donna!! That is fabulous!!! I love the little flowers inside, what a cool idea!!!

TurtleBay Jewelry
04-11-2004, 05:24 PM
Donna!!!

I have to make one now!! Grrr! Like I need -another- project. LOL.

Gorgeous, hon..but I never expect any less of you either!

:clap: :clap: :clap:

~D.

DonnaBee
04-11-2004, 08:44 PM
Thanks everyone! :)

It is now in my sis-in-law's living room on display... She really loved it very much. All the sis-in-laws and mom-in-law ooohed and aahhed!

And they fed me the best ham dinner I think I have ever had in my entire life. It was *so* good. *thud*

rightbrainbeads
04-12-2004, 01:13 PM
Now, it isn't the Second Coming of Cigar Box Art or anything....

No, really, Donna... it IS the Second Coming of Cigar Box Art!!!! :D I love, love, love it!!! :clap:

And Barrie, I love, love, love your rings!!!!!

lynne
:)

artbabe21
04-12-2004, 02:00 PM
DH asked me how it can hold anything, I explained this is a special-occasion handbag, only meant to hold a tiny cell phone, lipstick and credit card!

LOL!! Men don't get it yet do they? Purses for every occasion! :)
WOW! DONNA! I just love your cigar box purse! You did a lovely job!I have collected a bunch of them but they house my beads like somebody else mentioned!

Barrie--loved seeing the photos of those gorgeous rings! Also your jewelers bench...my daughter is a goldsmith so it's a familiar sight!! :)

DonnaBee
04-12-2004, 02:49 PM
HUGE grin!!!!

Here I thought this thread was all done... and along come Lynne and Cathleen! Thank you so much guys... I will be walking on air the rest of the day! :D

Thank you everyone who commented! :)

Charlee
04-12-2004, 04:17 PM
Hey Donna, I am lovin that purse! Makes me want to make one for my daughter. I love purses, but don't carry one - find them bloody annoying. My daughter, however, has a Joanne Woodward purse thing. For them what don't know, if you watch most any of her movies, she always has a boxy little purse dangling from her forearm. :D

Barrie, your rings make me all wiggly. LOVE them!!!

Finally catching up on posts aftre having my Mama here all week. I love her dearly, but Daaaaaaaang!

Charlee

DonnaBee
04-12-2004, 07:09 PM
I love her dearly, but Daaaaaaaang!

Charlee, lol! ;)
:D