PDA

View Full Version : I have Anne Choi silver bead: need design help!!

BeadBraker
04-09-2004, 09:39 AM
Hi all!

I have bought an Anne Choi silver beads and it is sooooo cool!

It is big, over 2 inch high. I have NO IDEA how to incorporate this into a design!!! I am mostly a lampworker, not a jewelry designer!!

My tentative thoughts is in black and silver...maybe dark colored pearls? Multi strand? where should the bead go...off center, on one side?

Help help!! and photos of "do something with this feel" kind of help will be much appreciated.
Nancy Braker in IL

TheBlueBetween
04-09-2004, 10:40 AM
hmn... first thought is make it a focal bead with some dangles coming out the bottom. Greens, blacks and silvers might be nice. But it does have an oriental feel to it so maybe a little red instead of green?

I'm searching around and find:

http://www.historyofjewelry.info/items/2687453726.html

http://www.adiara.com/jewelry/index8j.html

and beleive it or not that's all I find out there!

Have fun - you will figure out exactly what that bead wants you to do with it!

SuzyQ
04-09-2004, 11:10 AM
Oh what a gorgeous bead!! O.K. I love dragonflys especially the green blue ones. But what I have sketched here could work with an orange red black combination as well. I wouldn't do just black,white and silver, but that is just my taste.
Penmanship is not my strong suit! The one on the left would be three seed bead strands. I would go for those rainbow irredescent beads. The word going off the page on the right is rainbow. The second version would be black cord of some sort which would make stringing much faster and easier.

I hope this helps inspire what you do!

Shirley C.
04-09-2004, 12:01 PM
well, how cool is this?! i have that same bead - bought it at a bead show a few years ago, along with a few other of her beads. it's been sitting in my box all this time because i just haven't had the inspiration to complete a piece with it. i bought some small sunstone rondelles in tucson last year, and i want to incorporate them into the piece but i don't know what other stones will be in there. i do plan on using mostly stones, pearls, and silver along with some of my lampwork.

part of the reason i love this bead is because of what it says down each side of the bead:
"everything you can imagine is real"

jiley romney (jiley's studio) gave me an anne choi barrel bead for my birthday last year that says "had we but world enough and time" - i'd love to incorporate it into the piece as well, but the shape doesn't go with the others. gosh, i guess i'll end up with 2 anne choi necklaces - poor me! :D

i love anne's work - if you haven't seen it, check out her web site catalog:
Anne Choi's Beads - yeah! (http://www.annechoi.com/cgi-bin/catalog.pl?build)

beclectic
04-09-2004, 06:09 PM
Below is a project from Bead and Button Magazine called Twining Vine Necklace and it was originally published in the April 2002 issue. The pattern is downloadable from the Bead and Button site as a PDF for $3.95.

Ignoring the focal shown I was thinking starting with a few dangles of different lengths each ending in a small insect charm then stringing up through your bead, then through a round bead and dividing into the twining vine necklace made with pearls that shimmered blue and green like a dragon fly.

SuzyQ
04-09-2004, 07:31 PM
Great ideas here! Wouldn't it be fun to post a focal and find out what everyone would do with it? I love how we all have such unique vision and see something like a focal so differently. Even the colors we would choose are different.

BeadBraker
04-09-2004, 10:44 PM
WOW! What great responses! How cool that someone else has this bead too!! I had wanted it for some time, but it wasn't available in her catalog for a while...then it was....and I got it.

I love love the sketches and the links. I checked them all out.

I hadn't considered blue and green shimmery like real dragonfly wings....hmmmm.

I love the lariat idea.......I will give it serious thought.

THANKS a bunch!
Nancy Braker in IL

Kreszentia
04-10-2004, 05:41 PM
Hello Nancy,

you have a very nice bead there.

I'm just starting making jewellery, but here is waht I think:

This bead absolutely deserves to be a real focal. That means keep everything else simple so it doesn't distract the focal. I would stay with two colors at the maximum. And if it was mine I would consider to keep it black and jsut some additional simple silver beads. Maybe a three-strand-seed-bead-thing, joining the three strands periodically with matching silver beads.

Now girl, make something nice out of it and don't forget to show us :-)

Bye

Kreszentia