PDA

View Full Version : My New Power tool !

Lizardglass
04-09-2004, 12:56 AM
I just got my Taurus saw I had been waiting months for it , I have had a ball with it , I can't wait to use it with some lampworked beads . Watch out world I'm armed now =)
They still have the fiber paper in them and they aren't fire-polished yet in the pictures , they are in the kiln now . I was just SO excited with how they came out. I took the pictures and loaded them then I had to wait WC was down for some scheduled thinga-whatevers.
Anyway, I'll put them in a few more places when they are done , I just want some opinions on pricing as well.

Emily NZ
04-09-2004, 05:33 AM
WOW! in fact double WOW WOW!
Those are so cool and I bet they look even more fantastic when fire polished! do post again when finished!
I wonder if you can do that to boro??????
Emily
:clap: :clap: :clap:

xoticbead
04-09-2004, 06:56 AM
Emily
Wouldn't boro look really great if we could do that to it? Gone to have to give it a try. I'll let you know the results. if there is any LOL
Liz

Natalia
04-09-2004, 09:44 AM
They are amazing!!! :clap: :clap: :clap:

Soooo beautiful!

Any "broken" ones...you could dispose of to me... :evil:

Natalia

Lizardglass
04-09-2004, 10:14 AM
I opened the kiln this morning and there were my babies all shiney and pretty , I am gonna post some more pictures later on . I ended up with a few of these type pendants. Suddenly cutting a straight line seemed obsolete.

Ignuss-Fatuus
04-09-2004, 11:01 AM
Oh those are so beautimous! They remind me of coral all floaty and bouncing in the sea :) I love them...lovely....
karin

Lizardglass
04-09-2004, 11:05 AM
Ok here they are , I know I'm putting a lot of pictures but I started this thread so there ! :D
here's most of the crew out of the kiln , my photos aren't great because the sun isn't helping much , it's kinda overcast but seems to be burning off quickly now that I am no longer taking pics.
Anyway here they are.

CorvetteJuliet
04-09-2004, 11:40 AM
Those are really neat! Um, forgive my ignorance but what is this tool? :p

Lizardglass
04-09-2004, 12:45 PM
A taurus 2 ring saw. I got the two because I like the blade better then the one that's on the newer model 3 . I got in initally to cut out logo shapes for glass business card holders and other various shapes , but it's just taken on a life of it's own in the few short hours I've had it. :D

gypsysoul
04-09-2004, 02:43 PM
Oh my, Liz, they are gorgeous! :clap: Seeing them made me realize I've had that very same saw, never taken out of it's box, just sitting on a shelf for the past three years. lol Once I got a torch, fusing was all but forgotten. May have to rethink that! :D

Paula

Lizardglass
04-09-2004, 04:12 PM
Paula ,
Glad to inspire , I am gonna see what I can come up with combining the saw and lampwork , That's this weekends project. I'll definately post those. :D

midniteburner
04-09-2004, 05:25 PM
How it brings back old memories!!! LOL!!! I felt the same way when I got mine.

Your work is beautiful!!!!

Sara

Alan Cross
04-09-2004, 09:02 PM
Those are great but what are you going to do with them?
Alan :)

Lizardglass
04-09-2004, 09:07 PM
Sell them I hope , I know the eBay market for fused glass stinks , so I am not really sure I was going to sell them at a bead show but , Unfortunately I am not able to make the show this year. I may try some local places here. I was kinda hoping someone would help me out with priceing them as I am not too sure what to try to ask for .

Lizardglass
04-09-2004, 09:13 PM
Ok , so I played some more tonight and I just got this one done , It's not flame polished and it's not quite like I would like but the idea has merit , I am going to try to make these the friendship pendants for 2004 = ) whew hew go me!

bjcohan
04-09-2004, 09:23 PM
Wow, Liz, they're spectacular!

I want one! What's your eBay name???

Barb:cat:

Patricia'sglass
04-09-2004, 09:43 PM
Just gorgeous work! I love those and would like to know what you are pricing them around. I wan t one, too :D
Pattym

snootyvixen
04-09-2004, 09:53 PM
Why do posts on WC! make me want to try EVERYTHING?

I love them!!!

Vikki

Alan Cross
04-09-2004, 10:20 PM
They look great Liz and excuse me for not knowing what they are so now that I know how do you hang them? I am going to be getting a saw soon...just need to clean another spot lol....

DesertDreamer
04-09-2004, 10:40 PM
Those are SOOOOOO cool!!!!!! What fun. :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

mothergoose
04-10-2004, 12:11 AM
STUNNING!!!!

My favorites are the red and pink one's in the second set of pictures!

Wow so Unique and just GORGEOUS post them on ebay they should go well!

Good luck and YES give us your ebay id!!

Kim

Lizardglass
04-10-2004, 12:49 AM
Ok , eBay name Lizwondr. I don't know yet about pricing , I'd like for them to at least get 25 to 30 a piece is that reasonable? I don't really know how to price the fused stuff , it's not like my lampwork .

Second , they have holes that run through them , It's made with fiber paper during the fusing process , so you can slide a cord or a chain right through them , I'll take a picture it's kinda hard to see , since the top layer is clear over a clear back dichro layer on most =)

I can make them with out holes to be wire worked , that's my project for this week , I have this piece of dichro cut and just waiting for me to find the right crystals to go with it =)

Had to darken the one pic , I hope you can see the hole

Alan Cross
04-10-2004, 02:05 AM
Cool Liz thanks for the closeups....do you buy the fiber paper that size or do you have to make it?

Lizardglass
04-10-2004, 03:13 AM
It comes in various sizes and thickness I use the 1/8 inch and cut it into strips I lay it between the layers and poking out the side , then when it's fused I clip the sides . Then I can grind or saw , I just leave it in the hole till I am done with all that or else you'll have to put a new one in when you fire polish . Not too hard but it's extra time and materials . When I take them out of the kiln I just poke the paper out with a mandrel and clean the hole like I would a bead.

StefaniBeads
04-10-2004, 05:55 AM
Oooooh, those are SO beautiful!! (where's a jaw-dropping smiley??)

When you post those on ebay, please let us know!! I have to HAVE one (or more!) of these! And please put an ebay link in your signature, can you, can you please??? :D

Alan Cross
04-10-2004, 11:30 AM
Thanks Liz for all that info.....

Lizardglass
04-10-2004, 01:04 PM
No problem Alan :)
I will let everyone know when I list them I need to get some better picks. It will probably be some time Mid-week. I promise =) I made some more last night and I have some more to cut today . I was just wondering if there was a particular size people were more interested ?

Lori-O
04-10-2004, 10:55 PM
:clap: :clap:

Liz.. those are SUPER!! 'Love the friendship necklace/puzzle idea!

Somebody posted one done with a saw like that a few months back. I asked what kind of saw but never got a reply, so thanks for sharing. I ask about how things are done just out of curiosity - not necessarily because intend to try it. Certain things like this saw just fascinate me!

Thanks for sharing.. going to look you up on the bay!

Lori

pmoores
04-11-2004, 12:59 AM
Great looking work you got there.

Just wondering.. how fine a detail can you cut using this saw without risking shattering the glass? can it do perfect lets say rectangles cut out of a larger peice... down to 1/16th of inch?

Lizardglass
04-11-2004, 01:12 AM
I'm not sure , I would use the saw for the bigger ones and a grinder for smaller ones (to straighten up the hand cut or saw cut edges) and then cut by hand for the teeny ones . I have found I am not very good with the straight lines , although I haven't attempted many. I have cut a couple of lizards out and some other shapes , So it's great for that . I'm sure if you have enough determination you can cut anything on it . :D

Aleta
04-11-2004, 03:08 AM
Miss Liz ~ I'm impressed. I want to see a pic of this little saw. Got one?

Lizardglass
04-11-2004, 12:47 PM
ok took a couple this morning a couple of my pieces are sitting on it but here it is , it's relativly (sp?) light weight , without the water you can move it around very easily. I have been ussing mine inside , because it is kinda loud and I've been working at night , I wouldn't want the neighbors to complain. It capures most of the glass that comes off the rest I just vaccum out of the carpet and dust the "glitter" from my face . :D

Aleta
04-11-2004, 01:44 PM
Thank you for showing your pictures of the saw and your creations Liz.

jaxglass
04-11-2004, 02:14 PM
Liz,
Your beads are gorgeous! Inspires me to play with my saws some more.
Are you going to the Havana Florida Bead show on April 24th and 25th? I hope so, would like to meet you! (I'm in the show).

Chris from Jacksonville
a fellow fuser and beadmaker :D

Lizardglass
04-11-2004, 02:19 PM
I was going to do that show , But unfortunately I am unable to do so , I am trying to make it for at least sunday . There is a class I really wanna take in orlando on sat. It's all up in the air . I will definately look for you if I do make it. I would love to meet some fellow WCers :)

Lori Robbins
04-11-2004, 09:09 PM
Those are kick butt!
Very nice indeed! :clap: :clap: :clap:

Lizardglass
04-11-2004, 09:34 PM
Thank you very much Lori.

I have a batch in the kiln right now . :D It was raining and yucky today here so I didn't get to Lampwork , the humidity really effects the glass (at least for me it does) So I am gonna have to wait to see how I can use the saw in with the beads, I'll be posting some more pictures either later on tonight or tomorrow .

Lizardglass
04-12-2004, 02:28 AM
Ok got some more out of the kiln , they look so much better in person , I only had one that I need to run back through . I wish my camera did them half the justice of seeing them live in all there sparkle. But here's the latest. :D

StefaniBeads
04-12-2004, 07:11 PM
Liz,

When you put those on ebay, I'm pretty sure you are going to find out that your auctions are going to KICK BUTT!!

I can't wait to see this! :D

Lizardglass
05-16-2004, 05:04 PM
They are on the bay now MAY 16th... http://cgi6.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewSellersOtherItems&userid=lizwondr&include=0&since=-1&sort=3&rows=50

snooze
05-16-2004, 09:06 PM
WOW :clap: Those are beautiful!! Thanks for putting in your Ebay link, although it makes it very hard to decide which one to bid on. :confused:

Virginia L.
05-17-2004, 09:46 AM
WOW, too cool - you know what would fly off of ebay, I think - make a neat round shape if possible - sorry I don't know much about your process and cut out three or four puzzle pieces that will fit back together after the glass fires - just an idea - don't know if it is possible - it just seems like it might "click" - God Bless - Virginia L.

OOOPS, is that what the top piece is already doing - just ignore me - not enough coffee this morning, DUH!!!