PDA

View Full Version : Sally Prasch .. Glass artist and teacher Extraordinaire

Jennifer Geldard
04-09-2004, 12:49 AM
Well today was my last class for this session at the Worcester Craft Center with Sally Prasch... hopefully I'll be continuing the class next session if I'm lucky.. but I thought I'd share a couple of pieces I did tonight ( a vessel and a dot bead) and my beautiful demo piece made by Sally.... her beautiful little jar.

I also made a very cool pair of glasses made entirely of pyrex.. including glass hinges but it's annealing, and I'll have to pick them up this weekend.

AND I made a little guy captured inside a glass tube who will have glowing electricity flowing all around him..
You know those globes with electrical currents running inside them, and when you touch them the current goes to the contact point ? It looks like lightning bolts dancing around in the globe? Well anyway.. we made one of those too. That's going to take a while because that piece needs to be filled with gas. and an electrode added in...

My vessel and the bead are both silvered... they're coated on the inside with silver nitrate like those silvered glass x-mas ornaments.. I wish I could capture it properly with the camera... but on the vessel... the latticcino stripe is actually mirrored in the vessel... SO COOL!!

Zooziis
04-09-2004, 12:51 AM
Jennifer, everything is beautiful. Thanks for sharing.

Amy

Tink
04-09-2004, 01:03 AM
OH JENNIFER! Sally Prasch is one of my FAVORITES! You did one of the little hinged guys??? How cool is THAT??? I swear I will take a class with her next year!

Your work is beautiful... Absolutely stunning! :clap: :clap: :clap: I am SO proud of you!!!!

Did you make your own silver precipitate?

Toni Lutman
04-09-2004, 01:07 AM
WOW!!! Those are beautiful! Please show pictures of the rest when you can. They sound fantastic.

Toni

Jennifer Geldard
04-09-2004, 01:15 AM
Tink... no.. Sally has the chemicals, and I'll be ordering them myself before too long... I'm loving the effect.

I'll add a couple more pics in a minute... a hinge which is kind of hard to figure out from the pic as it's a set-up waiting for something to attach to, and still has a punty attached and crude nubs to attach later to something as well, but hopefully you'll get the idea. The other is my X-mas ornament, and it's wonky, but I love it anyway :D

Jennifer Geldard
04-09-2004, 01:24 AM
Here's the hinge and the ornament:

Tink
04-09-2004, 01:42 AM
Oooh Ooooooooooooooooohh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Yes yes YES! Nice job, Jennifer!!!! You did a fab job on the hinge, too. That's Pyrex, right? I tried on in Effetre. Once. LOL! It was hopeless. Beautiful ornament :D

kwstudios
04-09-2004, 02:49 AM
Hi Jennifer,

Very unique and beautiful art! Please tell me about the actual class that you are taking. What is the syllabus like or what is the title of the class? Is is specialized, advanced, or a survey class? I am thinking about taking a class with Sally called Survey of Flameworking, a 2 1/2 week class at Pilchuck. What should I expect to learn from her in that time. Do you think that it would be worth it?

Karen

Jennifer Geldard
04-09-2004, 09:09 AM
Hi Jennifer,

Very unique and beautiful art! Please tell me about the actual class that you are taking. What is the syllabus like or what is the title of the class? Is is specialized, advanced, or a survey class? I am thinking about taking a class with Sally called Survey of Flameworking, a 2 1/2 week class at Pilchuck. What should I expect to learn from her in that time. Do you think that it would be worth it?

Karen

Hi Karen,
The survey class is the same one I'm taking...if you've never worked boro before, she'll probably start with something simple like making a glass flute :)
All of her projects are designed to introduce you to an aspect of boro and tube work... you wont be doing a lot of beadmaking on mandrels .
Sally is a scientific glassblower... so she can make all of those amazing lab aparatus thingies that spiral around inside other blown stuff :D
Mostly, you'll be learning how to pull points in tubing.. flaring tubes..etc.
The projects range from x-mas ornaments to wine goblets, and it's frustrating and totally fun :) Most of the people in my class have taken her classes before, so she tends to help us learn what we want to.
I swear I'm going to master flaring a tube someday for my goblet bottoms.
That's why we worked on the eyeglasses... the lenses were flared tubing into circles. Mine were terrible... but they worked well enough for glasses.
Anyway, she's wonderful and a lot of fun.

Here's her website if you want to get an idea of the kind of work she does:
http://www.praschglass.com

Smedstad
04-09-2004, 09:47 AM
Sigh,

Beautiful, but not a suprise. I have been checking their website (Worcester Center for Crafts) regularly hoping they will have posted their summer schedule. I have been looking to take a long-term fusing/slumping class - which they do offer - but on Monday nights right in the middle of rush hour!

Jenn, when will your summer class be? I know you told me once but I lost the e-mail.

Debbie

Jennifer Geldard
04-09-2004, 01:07 PM
Debbie,
I think it's tuesday nights 6-9pm... it'll be a multi-level bead class.
I know the time's a pain, but you'd just stay on the pike coming out of Boston... actually the traffic thins out quite a bit after the Framingham exit.
And of course coming home is a lot easier.
It takes me about 45 minutes to get there for classes myself.

glassfreek
04-10-2004, 12:20 AM
Jenn, wow, what a treat! Sally is an incredible artist...I like her style a lot! And the two of you together....just fabulous glass! Please keep us posted on more of your work in this direction.....you are amazing, Jenn! xoxo Deb

Tink
06-28-2004, 11:52 AM
Tink... no.. Sally has the chemicals, and I'll be ordering them myself before too long... I'm loving the effect.

Jen, did you ever order the silvering chemicals? Any pointers? Did you ever get your glowing guy done?

kwstudios
06-28-2004, 12:03 PM
Jennifer,

I'm glad that this thread popped up again!! Did you finish the neon piece? Also, did you put the electrode on and fill it with gas yourself, or did Sally? Can't wait to see it!!

Karen

toozygoot
06-28-2004, 12:26 PM
Ouch!

My jaw just hit the desk! These are pieces I am going to have to stare at and study! If I still wore hats, one would be off to you!

Oh! The name of that machine is a Van De Graaf generator in case anyone asks! :D

Going back to look again!

pat

GardensOnGlass
06-28-2004, 10:23 PM
WOW, just WOW, Jenn. Fabulous work :clap:

firemonkey
06-28-2004, 11:11 PM
Incredible work Jennifer! :clap:
I especially love the hinge and ornament, so fluid looking.
(My Grandma and her siblings used to blow glass tubes for old
electronics for Honeywell-MANY years ago....wish she was here today so I could hear more about it.)
Please show us your progress!

kyyardlizard
06-28-2004, 11:57 PM
UNBELIEVABLE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Jen....I'm still trying to pick my chin up off the floor....BEAUTIFUL!!!!!!!!!!

kwstudios
06-30-2004, 10:30 PM
Jen,

Please show more of your accomplishments! More....must have more!!

Karen

BethOlson
07-02-2004, 11:24 AM
Sally Prasch was a demonstrating artist at last years Glass Art Society Convention in Seattle. She is awesome. This year, at the GAS coference in New Orleans, Shane Fero did a lecture on the history of performance glass. He mentioned that Sally started glass blowing when she was 13. I also saw her name mentioned on the inside cover of the current FLOW magazine as one of the pioneers who paved the way. This is definially one artist to be excited about.
Beth Olson :clap:

!ngridh
07-04-2004, 09:28 PM
Looks like you are headed for the Stars Jenn! What a thrill to watch you grow :clap: