PDA

View Full Version : Age appropriate styles

farkel
04-08-2004, 04:17 PM
I have been asked a few times to make some jewelry for young children. Some are as young as 3rd - 5th graders. I do ok but wonder what your suggestions would be for this age group. I make my connections sturdy but hopefully safe, use quality supplies and I always let the child or parent know that I can repair most things pretty easily. These are people I'm very close to and the repairs are not a big deal for me. Appreciate any info you can pass along.
Have a great day,
Fran

TheBlueBetween
04-08-2004, 04:25 PM
I've been thinking that magnetic clasps might be good for children in case the jewelry gets caught on something while they play it would snap off easy instead of maybe becoming a liability. I had an old beau in HS who lost a finger when his class ring got caught on something when he was jumping out of the back of a truck.... so safety comes to mind when I think of kids and jewelry.

SuzyQ
04-08-2004, 04:38 PM
My daughter is 5 and she loves anything sparkly or irredescent (sp?) She also loves stretch bracelets because she can get them on and off easily. She loves to string and restring. I let her make simple button loop closure necklaces that she can be untied and restrung whenever she wishes. The button stays as a stopper bead and the loop I retie for her when she is done. I give her big clay beads (my endless "imperfect" supply). Oh and she always loves pink.

lunamoonshadow
04-08-2004, 07:00 PM
I've been making (& selling--if you want to see them or use them for ideas, visit my weblink below!) bracelets for that age range--for the people who don't want "play" jewelry, but who also don't want to spend $80 at the jewelry store for a pearl bracelet for an 8 year old who will most likely lose it!
I use all "good stuff" with sterling, bali silver, swarovski crystals & deep-dyed freshwater pearls (they don't fade.) For cord I use 20# fishing line--it's nearly unbreakable, so they don't need to be as "careful" with the jewelry. If it was for "play" I'd probably use something less strong & more easily snapped off in case of snagging on tree branches, etc--but my stuff is for wearing with dress clothes, etc. and I want it to last & be as difficult to lose as possible!
I've had a lot of positive feedback from grandmoms who want a "nice" gift for a granddaughter, but want a reasonable price as well. I make the clasp adjustable by about an inch, by adding a 3/4 in or so of sterling chain on the loop end.
--Lyn

farkel
04-09-2004, 11:57 AM
Thanks to all of you for taking the time to help with my question. Lyn I really liked you website and you have beautiful jewelry.....
Have a great day,
Fran