PDA

View Full Version : M-I-C-K-E-Y M-O-U-S-Eeeeeeeeee I need help!

KristiB
04-08-2004, 03:09 PM
Okay.. Not sure if I shoulda put this in the showcase or the technical forum.. But I need your help..

Hubby thinks I"m sick, sick, sick.. making body parts, but we were talking about out yearly trek to Disney World at Christmas time and it got me thinking about how cute these would be. DD (age 9) took them and added some headpins to put them on a necklace.

I need help on the HANDS.. It's hard to get the fingers right with the mandrel in the way. Any suggestions??

Cheers!
Kristi

PS: I know I can't sell these ;)

dread
04-08-2004, 03:15 PM
Use the thinnner mandrels and make the middle finder along the mandrel then add on each side ? or no top hole and just glue in wire ?
Maybe ?
Watch out Disney is the biggest go getter when infringing upon their characters no matter how small the person is.....

Carriebug
04-08-2004, 03:17 PM
Those are absolutely adorable!! I love the Goofy hat!

The only suggestion I have on the hands is to maybe turn it the other way, so the mandrel runs vertical to fingers (does that make any sense??) Then when you string up the pendant the fingers aren't going up, but sideways.

I love them!
Carrie

MistyCherie
04-08-2004, 03:21 PM
Maybe try putting the mandrel perpendicular to the fingers towards the back near the wrist? bead would be off center, but I don't think it would matter... You could then wire wrap it to hang down still...

( ) sleeve edge
--------- (mandrel)
| | (hand)

Kind of crude, but maybe you get the idea? (doesn't mickey only have 4 fingers total? a thumb and three fingers?)

Oh, and you could always do a closed fist kind of hand....

-M

Pooh, it took out my extra spaces!

Darla60
04-08-2004, 03:21 PM
Hey, Kristi! Those are SO cute! I agree with Deb. I would sort of position the fingertips just above the mandrel, with the middle finger running parallel to it.

Darla

Kamaranoir
04-08-2004, 03:47 PM
Kristi

Cant help with the other but those are adorable!!! Love them :)

Penelle

Toxey's Treasures
04-08-2004, 03:48 PM
O.K., I have no idea as I haven't touched the torch yet, but I want to see te finished project. Then I want a tutorial!! That is if you would be so kind, :D . I love Mickey, and it just looks too cute. I think you have something going there.

Good Luck!!

BeadBraker
04-08-2004, 03:56 PM
The beads like this that they sell at Disney Marketplace (ceramic beads not glass but same exact shapes) have the hand bead with the mandrel hole running from the left side of the wrist to right side of wrist just below the glove "lip" around the edge. Works great.

My sis is a PT Disney employee and sent me buckets of these beads (right before I started lampworking myself and was just bead crazy).

GOOD LUCK!

Nancy Braker in IL

KristiB
04-08-2004, 04:53 PM
Thanks Guys! (gals)

Dread - I did use the 1/16th mandrels. good Idea!, I'll try it the other way. WHY didn't THAT come to me when I was doing them and cursing the fingers? :rolleyes:

I know that Disney is relentless in protecting it's trademarks, but really, I won't be selling them. I'm just doing them for fun, but the fingers on the hands bugged me.

Carrie - Thanks! Going to try that tonight!
M- Thanks for the drawing, I got it. I'm going to try tonight, Thanks!
Hey Darla, you road warrior you... Thanks! These were just too fun to make!
Penelle - Thank you.
Scultpgirl - Thanks very much. You're kind. Good luck with your torching.. Tutorial? hmmm.. I don't know about that.. I don't have anyone to take pictures and I shouldn't really be making them in the first place since it does infringe on Disneys copyright of Mickey.
Nancy! OMG! I forgot about those.. I did these from memory (yep I"m a Disney nut, and I don't care if they are a huge multi-mega marketing giant) I think I might even have some of those on a backpack in the attic. Gotta go check tonight. I'll try them that way... Thanks!

Kristi

wonderwoman
04-08-2004, 04:54 PM
What if you formed the hands on the tip of the mandrel, (the hole wouldn't go all the way through the bead), and hung it on the bracelet, necklace, etc. with a bail? That way, you wouldn't be sacrificing the integrity of the bead for the sake of convenience... does that make any sense?

-Dianna

Lori Peterson
04-08-2004, 05:20 PM
OR....you could just use them to make "Hangin' Loose Mickey"

Elle D
04-08-2004, 05:28 PM
Hi Kristi

I am a disney-holic and there was an auction recently on ebay that inspired me to make my own. The link to the auction is

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2697671650

So far these are mine:

http://images.andale.com/f2/107/110/8202185/1081891858782_mickey1.JPG
http://images.andale.com/f2/107/110/8202185/1081115961190_mickey2.JPG

I did the palm first and then added the fingers out and up to melt them in at the joint and then sort of slumped them down towards the mandrel after they had joined the hand the way I wanted, teasing them out longer if I needed to. then I added the thumb, then the marks on the back of the hand and then the trim to the wrist. Don't know if that is any help.

Love your goofy hat!

Elle

3SistersBeads
04-08-2004, 06:21 PM
Oh wow!

Those beads are adorable! I really love the goofy hat and the shoe too!

I gotta try that. Thanks for sharing,

fikefire
04-08-2004, 08:41 PM
OR....you could just use them to make "Hangin' Loose Mickey"
HA HA HA - *Mickey Does Maui*

Kristi ~ They are so cute! I'd go through the glove sideways, back by the wrist..

Shawn T.
04-08-2004, 09:14 PM
I have a friend that does these but she calls them "the black rat" just so she doesn't get in trouble with the big "Disney".
BTW I think they are woulderful!

Shawn

KetchikanSculptor
04-09-2004, 12:54 AM
Great Mickey the Mouse beadies!

Jennifer Geldard
04-09-2004, 12:58 AM
What if you formed the hands on the tip of the mandrel, (the hole wouldn't go all the way through the bead), and hung it on the bracelet, necklace, etc. with a bail? That way, you wouldn't be sacrificing the integrity of the bead for the sake of convenience... does that make any sense?

-Dianna

This is what I was going to suggest... make the bead on the end of the mandrel and glue in the wire... loop it and add it to the figure.
Nice clean finished arms .

glassfreek
04-10-2004, 12:06 AM
Aw, Kristi...you DO need help!!! Just mail them all to me and it will be like a bad dream....
They are so adorable, especially the hat and the shoes ;)
You are getting so good at sculpture toots! xo
Elle, very cute also! What a happy post!!! smiles, deb