PDA

View Full Version : storm

Mikef
04-08-2004, 11:22 AM
Hi this is my first post in this forum. This picture was painted some time ago, I was trying to create a realistic sea with a painting knife and the painting developed from there. Do you see any area of the painting that could be improved. All critiques welcomed.

Mike

olliewood0702
04-08-2004, 02:11 PM
Mike, this is beautiful! What size is it? It must be done in oil paints hey? Congratulations on your first post to this forum. I just found this forum myself! :D :)

shrinkinviolet
04-08-2004, 03:47 PM
Hi Mike,
Welcome to the marine forum. You are going to love it here.
Your painting is beautiful, I just don't see anything to change. The color is wonderful, I love the red sail on the boat. The composition is good. There is alot of action going on with the distant storm and the waves. I like everything.
Judy

Mikef
04-08-2004, 05:47 PM
Thank you for your comments I am pleased you like the painting.

Darla

Yes it is oils and the size is 14 x 12

Mike

brrice
04-08-2004, 06:39 PM
. I was trying to create a realistic sea with a painting knife and the painting developed from there.

Mike
Mike this is really good knife work, I love it . It looks like you may have had a lot of creative fun with this one. Sometimes I like to be expressive myself and it is amazing what can be created when we let creativity take over.

I look forward to seeing more of your work.

VeldaJ
04-08-2004, 07:47 PM
Welcome to the Marine Forum,Mike. Lovely painting. You've captured the approaching rain storm beautifully and your waves are very realistic.

Marty C
04-08-2004, 07:51 PM
Hi Mike,
Welcome to Wet Canvas and to the Marine Art forum.

This is a very nice work, very good, convincing movement in the water.

The areas I have a problem with are the sky and the distant headland. The sky horizon is a light blue, very unusual in a storm unless you are suggesting a localised storm situation, although the rain squall appears to be beyond the headland.

The headland itself with it's light colour appears to be bathed in sunshine, again at odds with the gloomy sky. You have used cool colours (whites and lighter value greens) on the headland which is good as colours cool with distance, but they should also get bluer as distance increases, and as we can see with the yacht as a scale reference the land is a considerable distance from the viewer.

You have done a really good job on the water, which is the bulk of the work, so you were successful in your original aim.

xavier
04-08-2004, 08:03 PM
Hi Mike ~your doing some nice work here.The water looks very believable.
but I agree with Marty.Somethings not quite right with the sky.
Don't mean to sound picky but I think you have gone into the water foreground
with your knife thickly and the sky almost looks soft and smooth.
Maybe I'm just not seeing it too clearly.(won't be the first time!)
The change in brushwork almost makes it look like two paintings.
Overall nice composition and color~

Mikef
04-09-2004, 01:59 PM
Thanks you all for your encouraging comments
Marty

You are spot on with your comments about the headland and the sky, I will try to correct this as you suggest. This was fun to paint as I had only intended it to be a practice piece. I did not think I would continue with it beyond painting the sea.

Xavier

You are right the sky was first painted with the knife but I could not get the effect I was looking for, so when it was dry I scumbled the cloud over the top.

Joy

Thanks for your comments, in the uk we get used to approaching rain storms do we not.

Brian

I did enjoy painting this picture and will continue to use this approach to painting the sea.

Mike

Rosebudlr
04-09-2004, 03:46 PM
Your painting is awesome! I envy those of you who can do such wonderful seascapes. Keep up the great work! :cool:

mairrca
04-09-2004, 08:21 PM
Great water and overall beautiful painting. I love the colour of the water....it is alive. :clap: