PDA

View Full Version : It's a rough game

trumball
04-08-2004, 06:28 AM
Canvas has been stained with tea and dirt. pieces of material were glued on and binder twine laced through canvas.

all comments welcome

Brian Firth
04-08-2004, 11:58 AM
Trumball,
I really like this piece. Very minimal and conceptual. For some reason I get a sense of repressed feminine sexuality from this piece. Or maybe that's just me! You might be interested in Mark Spybey's work. He is a avant-garde musician and artist who I have liked for some time. Your work vaguely reminds me of some of his stuff. Check it out:

http://www.spybey.net/being/art/index.html

Tamana
04-08-2004, 08:34 PM
Oh yeah. I can see this pushed in so many directions it aches. I hope you're just beginning. Tell me, how did you feel puncturing that canvas? Damaging the actual surface?

trumball
04-09-2004, 07:26 AM
Brian, Thanks for the link to Mark Spybey's work. It will be very useful to prove to my wife that people do like this kind of art, she thinks I have lost my mind and should paint pictures of dog playing cards or some thing. :)

Tamana, I did this picture the day I got layed off from my job as a software engineer. They told me "its not personal its just business" and it made me realize that I need to make a career change, and do what I have always wanted to do, create art. so I think my uncertanty about being able to make a living as an artist made its way in to this picture. as far as how i felt about cutting a hole in the canvas. it felt like I was doing some thing bad. society tells us that showing anger is wrong (even though it is a perfectly normal emotion)

Thx for the input.

Smileawhyl
04-09-2004, 07:38 AM
Excellent work! So much emotion in so little motion. So much drama in an obvious whisper.

futurebird
04-09-2004, 04:44 PM
Nice. You should try making a biiger tear and sewing it up next time... more tension in the twine would be nice...