PDA

View Full Version : how on earth can i find time to make wearable art...

Shirley C.
04-07-2004, 09:59 PM
when i just spent 2 1/2 hours making 1, yes that's right, ONE bead? criminy!! this thing had better be the cat's pj's when i fetch it out of the kiln tomorrow morning, or i'm gonna go on a rampage.

there! i feel much better now...

:evil: :D

TheBlueBetween
04-07-2004, 10:09 PM
ha! I hope it's beautiful when it's done soaking!

I was showing off a necklace to the contractor who put in my ventilation and window (he's now working on our deck and was asking what the heck I was doing in that studio anyway?) And I showed him one of my necklaces that I have priced at $90.00 - he was very impressed and said he was in the wrong business - until I explained to him that it's got 7 lampwork beads and they are pretty detailed for me and took about 1/2 hour for each one ... he did the math quick and said yeah, he was making more money than me.... he wouldn't trade jobs after all.

Well, neither would I ;)

DonnaBee
04-07-2004, 10:40 PM
I am praying to the kiln gods for you Shirley! We cannot have you discouraged, much less running rampant.

TurtleBay Jewelry
04-07-2004, 10:44 PM
I agree! She could be dangerous!

/wink

~D.

DonnaBee
04-07-2004, 11:59 PM
Shirley, I keep thinking about this for some reason. I hope to see this bead. Please kiln gods!

Shirley C.
04-08-2004, 01:11 AM
I agree! She could be dangerous!

/wink

~D.
could be? bbwwaaahahahaha! oh, i AM, i AM! :D :evil:

donna, i've been thinking about this bead all evening. it took almost two hours just to do the base bead. i "painted" scenery on it with enamels and a dental tool. talk about tedious! but i was having so much fun i just couldn't stop "painting". when i finally decided it was time to quit that, i added a tree. (no, not with enamels - with stringers) i couldn't stop there, so i added another tree. then i figured i'd better garage the thing before i pushed my luck too far. when i looked at the clock, i was stunned. i'll be keeping my fingies crossed all night. if the thing doesn't crack on me, it'll be my entry in the isgb "all member show". if it does end up with a crack someplace, i'll turn it into a wearable art piece for myself. (if i can stop spending 2 1/2 hours on a single bead, maybe i'll have enough time to make some wearable art...) :rolleyes:

pam, i loved your story. yep, we're in such a lucrative business, eh? :D

beclectic
04-08-2004, 09:19 AM
So exactly how much longer is it going to be before this bead is posted? I can hardly wait to see it. I'm hoping it is poetry in bead form for you. :)

DonnaBee
04-08-2004, 10:19 AM
Morning Shirley! :)

TheBlueBetween
04-08-2004, 10:30 AM
ok I'm dying to see this bead!!! Painted on with enamels???? I so want to learn to do that. It sounds so beautiful!!

TurtleBay Jewelry
04-08-2004, 10:48 AM
Shirley, you tease!!

Show us this bead before we all die of curiosity at our keyboards!

LOL!

~D.

Shirley C.
04-08-2004, 10:55 AM
you folks are so funny. :D tease, indeed...

:music: nya nya nya nyaaaaaa nyaaaaaa

Shirley C.
04-08-2004, 11:20 AM
ok... so i learned a few things from this bead experience. but all in all, i'm pleased with it. i may try making another one today (if i've got an extra few hours - yeah, right...)

so here it is - front and back. it's 2 1/8 inches long, 1 1/2 inches wide, and 3/4 inch thick (front to back). it's a big honker, which is rather challenging to keep hot while caught up in the details of "painting" with a dental tool. i guess if i keep at this technique, i'll get better and faster. i'm not good at painting or drawing, so i have to keep my "scenes" very simple.

TheBlueBetween
04-08-2004, 11:39 AM
Shirley, it's WONDERFUL!!! Reminds me of "my" mountains...

TurtleBay Jewelry
04-08-2004, 11:40 AM
Shirley, it's GORGEOUS!!!

I love it! How cool to be able to involve my two favorite things: beads and painting!

Kudos to you, Ma'am!

~D. :clap:

mjcall
04-08-2004, 11:50 AM
i'm not good at painting or drawing, so i have to keep my "scenes" very simple.

Shirley

"Less is More" I like it a lot.

M_

DonnaBee
04-08-2004, 12:06 PM
No way! I have never seen a bead like this before... That suggests a mountain so far in the distance... It's like photography. The trees are in the foreground, and the mountain looks very far away. It's a jaw dropper Shirley!

Shirley C.
04-08-2004, 12:22 PM
aw shucks, thanks folks! i'm blushing.

the theme of the all-member show is Forest Realm which was great for me, since tree beads are among the beads i love making the most. the pacific northwest is supposed to be the inspiration, so i had to include some snow-covered mountains in the distance.

i'll probably do another one today. guess i'd better get off the 'puter and go fire up the torch, eh? :)

thanks again, you guys are so supportive!

SuzyQ
04-08-2004, 12:38 PM
Oh My! Well worth your time. It's beautiful.

beclectic
04-08-2004, 01:40 PM
Thanks for sharing your georgeous bead. I'm glad you went with 2 trees. You definately have a winner. :clap: :clap:

TheBlueBetween
04-08-2004, 05:03 PM
the pacific northwest is supposed to be the inspiration, so i had to include some snow-covered mountains in the distance.

well you did it, because that's where I live and that's what it reminded me of!

Have fun making more! I may have to pull out my enamels this weekend and experiment - I've never used them.

debkauz
04-08-2004, 05:55 PM
Great bead!!! Now if you never ever sleep, you can keep making those and actually make jewelry with them, too! :evil:

Deb