PDA

View Full Version : WIP or finished?

VieSaintSo
04-07-2004, 04:22 PM
Hello all,
Not sure if it's finish...my teacher says yes...it's a different style for me....
Be brutally frank! i need feed back please. :)
its calles Vert (for now...) Green....i accept titles too! :p
24"x36" mixe media

vhttp://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/07-Apr-2004/23368-Vert.jpg

Tamana
04-07-2004, 04:54 PM
"Although Arnold's life seemed like a cheeseless maze of navigational difficulty containing many unknown obstacles with each turn of a corner, he chose to see the beautious colors the walls provided along his walk, and the obstacles as opportunities which would make his dreams sweeter once obtained."

Or you could just call it "Blind Man's Bluff", or, "Would you like a cigarette?"

;)

I like it, but, I think it could be developed further if you're experiencing doubt regarding its completion.

johnnyach
04-07-2004, 06:03 PM
WIP or finished? I think it would depend on whether it says what you want it to say. Too much more could spoil it. At the moment it is a very interesting picture. I like the stark lines and colour wash. The trick is knowing when to stop, something we all get wrong at one time or another
:) Johnny

Smileawhyl
04-07-2004, 09:45 PM
The only time I had an instructor tell me I was finished was when he was tired of watching me struggle with it (he was trying to 'break' me from realism). I was overworking it and it WAS time to stop.

I think I'd have to see this in realtime to give an opinion. The loose element of the question mark-like object leaves a question in my mind about it's relationship to the rest of the picture.

I think "Chicken Coop" is still playing with my sensibilities! :D

TeAnne
04-07-2004, 09:53 PM
I'd be inclined to take it further. Never be afraid to push your work as far as you can.
I'm sorry but to me it looks un finished. Are the Swastika signs intentional?

nine malic molds
04-07-2004, 11:12 PM
was this for an assignment? if so what was it?

i am all for pushing until you hate it, then pushing it until you despise it and then
pushing it until you can't look at it but you know it is good. (not that i have ever gotten that far)

Michael-Ann
04-07-2004, 11:45 PM
Go for it Sylvie!!!! Take it a step further if you dare :D

Punkjazz
04-07-2004, 11:55 PM
Didn't somebody once say that a painting is never finished, it just stops at an interesting place?

This piece could stop where you have it. But, I'd lean towards going deeper with it and seeing what happens.

surreal
04-08-2004, 02:09 AM
I think I would like to see it taken further, so that there is a greater sense of depth.

Just my 2 cents.
:)

VieSaintSo
04-08-2004, 04:13 PM
Thank you all so much, this is what i was looking for when asking your feelings about this,i supposed i needed reassurance in my thinking opposite my teacher/instructor. I will push further, you all have brought me valid points and,in doing so help me tremendously. this is so precious to me, the time you take,and your interest.Merci beaucoup beaucoup! :clap:

Teanne,
I'm not sure what "Swatisca sign" is?? :confused:

Nine,
No its not really an assignment....its more a workshop, i take with this painter that i admire a lot, she just guides when needed, helps me focus....and prepare for a show in september.

Thanks again to all of you, will post again when i feel i've pushed enough ;)

lizzy
04-08-2004, 04:44 PM
i like it : )
but not your usual style at all

VieSaintSo
05-19-2004, 04:19 PM
ok ....finaly went back to it...it is now finish....right? ;)
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/19-May-2004/23368-M_Venus.jpg

Turner
05-19-2004, 04:31 PM
I didn't know art COULD be finished... :confused:

everetto
05-19-2004, 08:13 PM
I'm just half drunk so don't mind me if you please. But I truly think you would paint better if blindfolded. It's trying to be 'free flowing' and extremely and timidly calculated at the same time. If that hurts, I hope it hurts just enough to pursue painting with a passion.

I think. Maybe.

Bisco
05-19-2004, 08:28 PM
Well blindfolded is kinda rough.. But I know what you mean...I think
I know what You are going for... Try attacking the canvas/watever like an excavation.. artifacts will appear.. somtimes these artifacts (facet you like) need to be sacrificed to find others behind it. After all the stuff has been dug up.. leave yr name so people know youve been there.. or something

VieSaintSo
05-19-2004, 08:44 PM
Ouch!
But, wow, i appreciate this a lot! You know what? i agree with you guys..this piece is so cold, nothing comes out....(so why did i post it?) trying to find my way...maybe...i was trying for some new directions, but took a wrong turn somewhere.
I appreciate your comments, will now get drunk a little and rethink my direction, feelings and so on and come back to some fun.
Thank you Bisco and everetto. :)

Bisco
05-19-2004, 08:57 PM
The second pic looks more unfinished than the first.. but it has more possible direction in its unfinishedness.. know what I mean? You must...your whole "is this done?" nature.. if not for that... I wouldnta started shooting off the mouth.
I cant speak for your intention in creating something..
but If yr unsure about something.. change it. If you feel like you made a mistake afterwards even better... there is alot of knowlege in mistakes.. just look at history... or "history" the definition in general.
cheers

printzessofthenorth
05-20-2004, 09:17 AM
"Although Arnold's life seemed like a cheeseless maze of navigational difficulty containing many unknown obstacles with each turn of a corner, he chose to see the beautious colors the walls provided along his walk, and the obstacles as opportunities which would make his dreams sweeter once obtained."

LOL!!!!!!!This is a great title or caption or post modern poem as the circumstances dictate. :clap: :clap: :clap:

debbie

printzessofthenorth
05-20-2004, 09:31 AM
Sylvie,

If I ever actually followed the advice of my teachers, I'd never have gotten anywhere. I say go with your gut instinct.

To my mind the 2nd picture has a deeper sense of space and a more complete feel than the first. As to whether it is finished, only you can say...but I am reminded of a quote "No art is ever finished just abandoned."

Now I don't think the one who said that meant 'forsaken' when they said 'abandoned', I just think they meant at some point when you satisfied or when you are just plain tired of it, you stop, but not until then. ;)

Sounds like, from your comments throughout this thread, you have discovered the source of your questioning stems not from the painting or what stage its at, but from your journey and the questions you have about yourself. I think this journey has been very productive for you. :D

'live the questions'

debbie

everetto
05-20-2004, 12:13 PM
Dear Bisco in his follow-up said it much better than I. And he's right, that's the way I paint. I felt this painting should go in that direction. Exhaust it, mess it up, fight with it, love it, kill it...then come back tommorow.

VieSaintSo
05-20-2004, 01:08 PM
Good advice! i know better....i needed a swift kick! :evil:
and printz you are right about the teacher....
Thank you again for your honesty, and mostly opening my eyes and my heart/gut.
i will leave this one for now; its scaring me!lol
and go find myself in a new one for now! :) and mess real good with it! :D