PDA

View Full Version : Honest Opinions Please

McDuck
04-07-2004, 02:48 PM
Hello everyone! I have been able to make some more one of a kind pieces, but I would like to make them part of my line of beads and pendants. Can you please let me know IF you like the following, if you would be able to incorporate them into your designs, if not what might be changed, colors you would like to see. ETC! Feedback both positive and negative are the only way to help one grow :)

1) Daisies in orange white and yellow

2) Fire Fly links in persian blue

3) Heart of the Garden necklace and earring set. Holes are through the sides at the top of the bead.

Thank you in advance for you time!
Mary...errrr...McDuck

TurtleBay Jewelry
04-07-2004, 02:55 PM
Mary~

I love the orange flowers on the first one! They're bright and cheery and the design is uniform.

I'm most partial to the second one, as it would be something I would use in my jewelry making. But keep in mind, that's more my style, and I'm a cool/jewel tones and water themes kinda' girl...

I do like the last one for the intricacy of the pattern as well.

All in all, I think you did a great job and from an mostly bead only person, I think they're more than workable for ppl who string this type of artwork. I've seen lots at the bead shows and yours is just as good.

:clap: :clap:

~Danielle

debkauz
04-07-2004, 04:08 PM
The daises are a little to 50's for my taste, but I love the other 2. :clap: :clap: :clap:

Deb

lisilk
04-07-2004, 04:54 PM
The daisies do have a rather nostalgiac look. I am partial to the second and third sets. As Danielle said, part of that is subjective because I too am drawn to cooler colors. I do a lot of collage work and could definietely see incorporating the third grouping. I love them, they seem the most intricate and well thought out.

I think these would very much appeal to jewelery designers.

Cheers,

Li

McDuck
04-07-2004, 05:19 PM
:eek: 50's looking? EEP! and Ick! not my intentions at all. LOl oh well...maybe different colors?

Danielle, thank you for your thoughts. I just love those fire flay links too! And that color is very inviting.

Thanks Deb!

Li, thank you so much about my Heart of the Garden set. I really enjoyed doing it too!

More, more critiques please!! And what colors would you do the daisies instead?

Hugs, Mary

lisilk
04-07-2004, 05:26 PM
Mary,

Maybe a different color background for the daisies would make them more contemporary ? On the other hand, there are a lot of people who may be attracted to them because they have that old fahioned look. LOL. Go with your instincts !

Cheers,

Li

debkauz
04-07-2004, 05:29 PM
:eek: 50's looking? EEP! and Ick! not my intentions at all. LOl oh well...maybe different colors?

Danielle, thank you for your thoughts. I just love those fire flay links too! And that color is very inviting.

Thanks Deb!

Li, thank you so much about my Heart of the Garden set. I really enjoyed doing it too!

More, more critiques please!! And what colors would you do the daisies instead?

Hugs, Mary

Oh, now I feel bad! :crying: I suppose it could be tres chic from the south of France instead? :) It isn't that I don't like it, I just like the other 2 SO much better. In fact, I was just pulling out seed beads for a bracelet, and I pulled out colors that would work with the 3rd set. Didn't realize that I did it until I came back here and looked again.

Barrie
04-07-2004, 05:30 PM
Don't 'nay say' the daisies!! Have you guys never heard of "Retro"?!? Those are super hot right now, the color especially!! Walk into any clothing store, and you'll see big bold daisies and lots and lots of orange!!! I predict those would do quite well for you. You could also do them in hot pink, turquoise (same as the blue ones you did), lime green........ seeing the pattern?? LOL!
The blue spacer thingies are cool, but it is hard to see the dragonfly pattern in them (maybe cause I'm blind - but that's a whole nuther thread! LOL). The color and texture are absolutely perfect! Especially for this spring and summer!
I really love the pattern and texture and color of the heart of the garden set - except for the heart - but that's totally personal!! The set is very unique though. I liek the other two better, but again that's personal!!!
Keep them coming Mary! I love your style!!

McDuck
04-07-2004, 05:32 PM
Oh, now I feel bad! :crying: I suppose it could be tres chic from the south of France instead? :) It isn't that I don't like it, I just like the other 2 SO much better. In fact, I was just pulling out seed beads for a bracelet, and I pulled out colors that would work with the 3rd set. Didn't realize that I did it until I came back here and looked again.

No please dont feel bad at all. HOnest opinions are very greatly needed and appreciated to grow. I just didnt realize this is how it looked. LOL
-Mary

McDuck
04-07-2004, 05:34 PM
Barrie,
Thank you so much, truelly. The heart didnt quite turn out as I invisioned it. :rolleyes: But I can work on it too. I was thinking maybe to glaze only the top of it, make it shorter...etc. I will have to work on the other color ideas you have given me! Icant wait to make more!
-Mary

debkauz
04-07-2004, 05:37 PM
Mary,
What part of Chicago are you in? Do you have a shop? I live on the north side close to the lakefront. I keep hearing of beadstores that I have never been too and just have trouble believing that I've missed any! LOL!

Deb

TurtleBay Jewelry
04-07-2004, 05:44 PM
Mary~

I did a quick retouch for you of your daisies. I agree with Barrie. Retro is really in right now, and so are juicy, bright color combos.

I'd definitely keep them and just do a variety of colors.

Here's the retouch to give you an idea, and I left the orange border around the petals so we didn't lose the definition of them.

~D.

McDuck
04-07-2004, 06:33 PM
Mary,
What part of Chicago are you in? Do you have a shop? I live on the north side close to the lakefront. I keep hearing of beadstores that I have never been too and just have trouble believing that I've missed any! LOL!

Deb

Southwest North of Joliet, South of naperville! Nope no shop, just my lil studio in my basement! You should come out to play.-Mary

McDuck
04-07-2004, 06:34 PM
Danielle, That does look kewl! I was thinking purple too!

DonnaBee
04-07-2004, 06:51 PM
Heart of the Garden is my favorite. I really love that, and I would be inspired to design with it, and I am not even a gardeny-nature type person for the most part!

Have you ever done anything folk-art inspired? (Sorry, if folk-art stuff is out of style or anything, I wouldn't really know, but I still like folk art very much! I think that Heart of the Garden one has a folk-art feel to it, in a way that I love.)

McDuck
04-07-2004, 08:05 PM
LOL Donna you are so sweet! Well you will just have to come over and make your very own set (my sly way to get you to my studio finally!) Thank you too! -mary

Patch
04-07-2004, 08:23 PM
The heart of the garden is really neat... that is the kind of piece I would use to do something for myself to wear. The daisy match what we see in the trendy boutiques for young ladies 18-22 years old. Good work!
Patch

beclectic
04-07-2004, 09:18 PM
Barrie,
Thank you so much, truelly. The heart didnt quite turn out as I invisioned it. :rolleyes: But I can work on it too. I was thinking maybe to glaze only the top of it, make it shorter...etc. I will have to work on the other color ideas you have given me! Icant wait to make more!
-Mary

What about making the heart indented and not making it red but putting in the pattern that is in the background of the garden and letting the glaze do the tone on tone thing. I really liked the set except the heart was a little glaring. Make the heart subtle.

I love the link pieces but I too had difficulity seeing the dragon fly, I liked them just as well before I figured out there was a dragon fly. I thought you might just be reproducing the pattern in the dragon fly's tail segments.

I love flowers but I am not a daisy person. I did like the pattern but like almost everyone else here orange and yellow are just not my cup of tea.

My 2 cents worth.

McDuck
04-07-2004, 09:45 PM
Patch, thank you so much. Keep an eye out for other colors too!

beclectic, yeah the heart didnt quite turn out as planned..luckily I have more to work with! Adni might try the indented heart too. The links are actually named by my daughter, she called them fireflies. LOl i thought it was kinda cute and you could kinda see something in there :rolleyes: :D

Thank you all again! You have been a great help! Mary

Kerensamere
04-07-2004, 10:07 PM
Like some of the others said, I too am drawn to the colors for the firefly links, I love cool colors.

The daisies are nice and summery and definately good for the whole retro fashion thing, I think a younger crowd would LOVE them.

I really like the details in the garden set, but as others said I'm just not to fond of the heart, maybe a less bold color or the indented idea (I'd like to see that) especially the tone on tone concept.

Keep up the good work, it looks like you're tapping into a cool idea.

Oh, yeah, on the whole "folk art" kind of thing, the garden pieces also make me think of celtic knot work, might be a concept to look into. OR maybe even a maze or labrynth design (I just got a catalog in the mail with all kinds of labrynth designed items -- people trace the paths with their fingers as a form of meditation) might be an idea for a focal piece. Just a thought.

Best wishes!
-Jen

McDuck
04-08-2004, 07:29 AM
Thank you Jen, I am thining of Making another piece to go with the set, doing the heart a bit different, I didnt think it would be that glaring! lol -Mary

joycerenee
04-08-2004, 08:19 AM
Mary, I love the dark green ones in the Heart of the Garden! They are very reminiscent of turn of the century era tiles done by companies like Rookwood & others (which I have in my home & always thought were too pretty to be tiles). I also liked the Persian blue ones, although I would probably prefer hole placement through the bead rather than on it.

But I would buy those green ones. :D

Joy

lunamoonshadow
04-08-2004, 10:54 AM
My MOM would love the daisy set--just as it is....(she's 64 if you're wondering).....I'd like it in more pastel-y colors, but everyone here is right--ya kinda gotta color them to match this year's fashions!
The links are cool, but I LOVE the multi-piece last set...it would tempt me to try & work with cording to hang them :)
--Lyn

McDuck
04-08-2004, 09:12 PM
Thank you so much Joy, it is always a pleasure to hear someone say they really like my work. At some point they will be available on my site, or if ever in Chicago come make your own! I too thought about the hole going through. might have to make them both ways...
-mary

McDuck
04-08-2004, 09:14 PM
Lyn- I really love the last set too. I cant wait to try some new things on it next week. I will be gone all weekend! :eek: Send me your Mom's address and I will send it to her if you think she would liek it. Or to you to make her something out of!

I cant wait to go buy some of the new threadies that are out to work these up with. I think it would be sooooooooooookewl!
-Mary

TheBlueBetween
04-08-2004, 09:33 PM
I think they are all lovely, and I've been trying to think what I would possibly do with them if they were sitting on my work bench and so far have not come up with anything. But that doesn't mean someone else couldn't or wouldn't! I would love to see what someone does with them and I'm sure they would be fabulous hits with the right artists!

:clap: :clap: :clap:

McDuck
04-12-2004, 10:55 AM
Thank you Pam! I took them to Libby's Bead store this weekend and she really liked them too. I cant wait to offer them and see what such wonderful designers can do with them!
-Mary

MistyCherie
04-12-2004, 09:35 PM
I like the daisies as is... I think they're very "in" at the moment. Especially with spring and summer here. I loved the color of the fireflies set--I think that is my favorites of the ones you posted. I like the third set, but have to agree that I don't like the heart. It seems like it doesn't really belong (to me). Perhaps make it the purple color from the flowers? Or, can you put the little design of the garden area ON the uplifted heart and then add the purple color? All in all I think you are doing AWESOME, and keep it up!

:D

-Misty

McDuck
04-12-2004, 09:42 PM
OOOOOOOOH Misty girl I think you are onto something here! Let me go make one with the impression on the heart too...What would I do wihtout you guys? hugs, mary

Viscioussl
04-30-2004, 04:48 PM
I am quite fond of the daisies - but I am not crazy about the center piece on the right hand set. (The piece with the heart) The heart is too small, or out of place - can't put my finger on it.....

froggee501
04-30-2004, 10:14 PM
I don't usually like orange, but I LOVE those daisies.... Incredibly so! I think they are awesome, so there.

:p Emma

McDuck
04-30-2004, 10:16 PM
Stephanie, I reworked the heart to a different color.

Emma, Thank You! they are pretty kewl for orange, and that stuff is ORANGE!

-Mary

MadameKali
05-01-2004, 03:36 AM
Oh, who cares about in style, anyway? I make my own style :cool:

I love the daisies, orange is my favorite colour. I like the second set okay, probably would go well with the daisies actually, and I would like the third set a lot more without the focal bead with the red heart.

diane555
05-01-2004, 07:43 AM

LOL McDuck. 50's is in...and I happen to love these and the colors :D
I can tell you that quilters would scoop these up...especially if they had two holes and could be used as buttons! But even as it, quilters would love these to add to thier unique creations. Quilting has taken on a much more artistic edge than it used to have and they are always looking for anything exciting that can be attached to the tops :D

Di

McDuck
05-01-2004, 09:15 AM
LOL McDuck. 50's is in...and I happen to love these and the colors :D
I can tell you that quilters would scoop these up...especially if they had two holes and could be used as buttons! But even as it, quilters would love these to add to thier unique creations. Quilting has taken on a much more artistic edge than it used to have and they are always looking for anything exciting that can be attached to the tops :D

Di

Really di? :confused: Hmm might have to look up some quilting sites. What size buttons are used? I actually can make any size or design to a dregree. And thank you and M.Kali! -Mary

diane555
05-01-2004, 07:22 PM
Really di? :confused: Hmm might have to look up some quilting sites. What size buttons are used? I actually can make any size or design to a dregree. And thank you and M.Kali! -Mary

Yup...really :D These people (myself included ;) ) are crazy for such things. When the quilt guild I used to be a member of in Canada had a vendors sale, anyone with buttons, beads or anything that could be stitched down pretty much sold out! And they expected to pay for the quality of the hand made stuff. I have lots of links in my quilting folder on here somewhere and have a couple of days off so I'll hunt some useful ones down and PM them to you if you like.

Di

McDuck
05-01-2004, 08:05 PM
Oh Di that would be wonderful! please pm me when you find them and your address too! Will send you a thank you! Mary