PDA

View Full Version : How do you make those neat spirals and scrolls?

debkauz
04-07-2004, 02:18 PM
I am trying to do more wirework and past the really simple stuff, I am just not doing well. I can do a wrapped thingy just fine, but I see jewelry that is made with all these really cool spirals and scrolls and squares and things. Do you do that freehand or do you use a wigjig? I guess that it is just like everything else--practice, practice, practice. But, I want to be able to do it NOW! :rolleyes: Hints and suggestions?

Deb

DonnaBee
04-07-2004, 02:25 PM
I can't believe you asked this, because I have the same problem, and I was just thinking about this yesterday.

I want to do a caged bead from Danielle's tutorial, I am all excited to try it, But my spirals always turn out... well, they aren't smooth. They have bends in them instead of curving.

How does one get a nice smooth spiral. It's true, I haven't practiced a ton.

Aislyn
04-07-2004, 02:54 PM
Are you using dead soft wire? It's easier that way at first. It also helps a lot to use more hands and less tools. By that I mean, shape the tip of the wire with the tip of your roundnose pliers, but take the other end of the wire in your hand and pull it around your pliers tip, gently so as not to cause kinks.

Robbie Ward has two books on wire work techniques that are really good. She runs the forum that I mostly live on. *s*

http://forums.delphiforums.com/wirejewelry/

Click on Webpage at the top to get to her website and see her books. The second one even teaches how to make tiny prong settings from wire. She doesn't solder, but she can make wire do amazing things.

TurtleBay Jewelry
04-07-2004, 03:00 PM
I can do another tutorial on this subject if ya'll would like. I do my scrolls and spirals a little unconventionally, but it works great. And I don't use wig jigs at all.

Lemme know if this is something you'd be interested in.

~D.

mjcall
04-07-2004, 03:14 PM
Danielle

"A good Idea Never Cares Who Had It" :) I'm always willing to learn. If you have the time to do it, I sure as heck have the time to learn from it. You got my vote. :clap:

M_

DonnaBee
04-07-2004, 03:37 PM
Lemme know if this is something you'd be interested in.

I am very interested! Only if you have the time and energy dear lady, you just did a great tutorial for us after all! But I would LOVE to see your unconventional way of doing your spirals. (I am putting you on my list of people who I want to send out a free lampwork bead to in the next couple months, by the way! I was already going to do that though. ;) )

Aislyn, I have only tried half hard wire, and this certainly does make a lot of sense that I would have the kinks do to this instead of the dead soft. DOH!! Thanks for that!

Shirley C.
04-07-2004, 03:40 PM
...Lemme know if this is something you'd be interested in.

~D.

tutorials are ALWAYS welcome!! ;)

debkauz
04-07-2004, 03:56 PM
I would LOVE a tutorial! And like Donna said...only if you have the time and energy to do it for us. I am using some wire right now that I don't know what it is. I also have some new stuff from Rio that isn't labeled. Well, actually 1 or the 3 is labeled 1/2 hard. I think the other is dead soft, but I don't remember :o . I mean, jeez, it's probably been a few weeks since I ordered it and I have so many windows open in my brain that it rained in that one! I'm not sure at all what the stuff at the local bead store it. Probably not dead soft. That will be ONLY what I order from now on.
I am practicing today--just not getting much better yet. :D

Thanks!

Deb

debkauz
04-07-2004, 04:03 PM
Are you using dead soft wire? It's easier that way at first. It also helps a lot to use more hands and less tools. By that I mean, shape the tip of the wire with the tip of your roundnose pliers, but take the other end of the wire in your hand and pull it around your pliers tip, gently so as not to cause kinks.

Robbie Ward has two books on wire work techniques that are really good. She runs the forum that I mostly live on. *s*

http://forums.delphiforums.com/wirejewelry/

Click on Webpage at the top to get to her website and see her books. The second one even teaches how to make tiny prong settings from wire. She doesn't solder, but she can make wire do amazing things.

Great website and books! Thanks for the info--and welcome!

Deb

Mary Riggs
04-07-2004, 06:46 PM
Danielle -

Please, oh please, do a tutorial for us on spirals. I have been practicing this technique from one of my wire books, but they sure don't turn out very well, even when I pound the s*** out of them.

Question: where do you buy your silver wire? I am sure I have paid way too much for the small supply I have. I've been practicing only with copper wire to date and it may way too hard, like gauge 18 or 20 that I bought from the hardware store. Another DUH!!!!

Mary

sdbq
04-07-2004, 09:08 PM
Mary,

Copper wire from the hardware store is a great way to practice wire working techniques before using your more expensive wire! Dead soft copper wire works almost exactly the same as dead soft silver wire (you always want to use dead soft wire for making scrolls and spirals - half-hard is too hard!). Copper wire also makes a very nice piece of jewelry on it's own, especially if you antique it with liver of sulfur.

As for scrolling techniques, in addition to Danielle's upcoming tutorial, check out Connie Fox's website -

http://www.conniefox.com/Education/WireSkills/Spirals.htm

She has lots of great information on wire wrapping techniques including some excellent tutorials.

Lisa

Ysabeau
04-07-2004, 10:13 PM
I also find that the temperature of the wire makes a big difference, and work it a bit with my hands after starting the first curl with the round nosed pliers, and I feel that it makes a real difference in how smoothly it can be worked by hand.

I think that if you live in a cooler climate, it might make a larger difference, and I have used an electric heating pad to keep the spool of wire warm, and I liked the results!

B*B,

Ysabeau

Kerensamere
04-07-2004, 10:16 PM
I would also like to put in a big YES for the tutorial when you have time. You are trully a font of knowledge. Thank you for sharing! :clap:

-Jen

Aislyn
04-07-2004, 11:34 PM
I think that if you live in a cooler climate, it might make a larger difference, and I have used an electric heating pad to keep the spool of wire warm, and I liked the results!

B*B,

Ysabeau

I agree, it makes a huge difference. I live on top of a mountain (it's snowing hard right now *s*) and I work in front of a fire at least 9 months of the year.

flynfire
04-07-2004, 11:38 PM
Another yes vote for a tutorial by Danielle!

Wire Mania
04-08-2004, 04:38 PM
Try the Connie Fox site she has great instructions....I took a class from her and she is a great person and a great teacher...

debkauz
04-08-2004, 05:53 PM
Great! Thanks everyone for such great hints. I never really even though about the wire so I will do that for sure and thanks for the book hints, too. I LOVE books so that gives me something to get! Like I need a reason...

Gettin' ready to go out for sushi--my usual Thursday dinner--and DH will be home soon. :D

Deb

Mary Riggs
04-08-2004, 06:43 PM
Lisa ("sdbg"), thanks so much for the info. on dead soft copper and silver wire. Also a big thank you to "Ysabeau" for the idea of heating the wire before bending it. I do live in quite a cool environment and would not have thought that could be a factor. A heating pad.........yeah, I have one of those!

The Connie Fox site looks to be quite comprehensive, so I bookmarked it for further reference. Thanks for that one too :clap:

All of you gals are so friendly and helpful :D

DonnaBee
04-08-2004, 08:10 PM
That was a really good tip about the temp of the metal wire! I never gave that much thought, it makes sense to me!

I am going to try this with some of that colored craft wire you get at the craft store... I have some in black. I need black so I can make one of these cages to add to a dangly on a cigar box purse I am putting together... I am going to give it a shot!

sdbq
04-09-2004, 01:46 AM
Donna,

I think someone mentioned this in an earlier post but it's worth repeating...craft wire is hard to work! You'll be able to make spirals and cages but it's a lot more difficult than working with the dead soft copper or silver.

Mary, I'm glad you found the information helpful! It's nice to be able to share information - this is a great forum :clap:

Lisa

DonnaBee
04-09-2004, 03:40 AM
Lisa, you are so right: it was mentioned that the craft wire isn't good for scrolling/spiraling.

(I realized this after I tried it, and of course, it didn't work! )

So here I am up at 2:30 in the morning. Because I have been working on a cigar box purse for hours. (And it isn't done! Almost though... I may put it in the fiber arts project thread when I finish it, I used some fibers, it seems to be working out! Hopefully it will still look as good tomorrow as I thought it did tonight at this late hour!)

debkauz
04-11-2004, 03:04 PM
OK, I just had a ball in the Rio catalogue writing up an order for all sorts of DEAD SOFT wire! I am going to mostly practice on the copper as it is a ton cheaper. Hopefully I can find someone with a digi camera to help me post pics of whatever turns out. That really has to be next on the list--a camera or a kiln...tough decision. I keep going to the connie fox website and drooling all over the keyboard. It is a great site, fyi.

Deb

!ngridh
04-11-2004, 05:11 PM
Just getting started? me too...I whole heartedly recommend Mark Lareau's
All Wired Up......
I taught myself how....if you are any where near the Pac NW ....the Tacoma Bead show mid July will have those classes...caged beads...spirals etc...

Check out his the website for The Bead Factory...I have taken several classes there and they ar allllll great!!!!

once in...click like it says (thebeadfactory.com)