PDA

View Full Version : Wednesday April 7th show and tell

SuzyQ
04-07-2004, 10:48 AM
Don't you just love it when you figure out a solution to something so trivial? I hate the way those little green jewelry tag strings look in my displays and I wanted to add my logo but couldn't figure out how to do it without being intrusive. Soooooo I came up with this. And, it gets better. I had this roll of stretch cord that was too thin to be strong enough for a stretch bracelet. It was just sitting in my "what the heck do I do with this" supply box. Now I have a use for it!

I feel like Heloise :angel:

Barrie
04-07-2004, 11:02 AM
Those are fabulous!! Very stylish and professional looking!!! Way to go! :clap: :clap: :clap:

TurtleBay Jewelry
04-07-2004, 11:36 AM
Great job, Suze!

I too always struggle with tags for my jewelry. I obviously don't keep it in bags at shows, so tags are a necessity for me. But I hate those little gator skin jewelry tags, as I feel they're too generic. So I make my own, but I'm always having problems with the strings tangling up in the bracelet or necklace. It's a huge pain in the butt and time waster when you're trying to set up.

I've yet to discover the perfect solution to my tag headaches. :(

~Danielle

DonnaBee
04-07-2004, 11:54 AM
Suze that is very clever and eye-catching. I like the square hole in it!

beclectic
04-07-2004, 02:04 PM
Great job, Suze!

I too always struggle with tags for my jewelry. I obviously don't keep it in bags at shows, so tags are a necessity for me. But I hate those little gator skin jewelry tags, as I feel they're too generic. So I make my own, but I'm always having problems with the strings tangling up in the bracelet or necklace. It's a huge pain in the butt and time waster when you're trying to set up.

I've yet to discover the perfect solution to my tag headaches. :(

~Danielle

What about using the stringing stretch cord but keep it very short so their isn't a lot of dangling tags to get wound around each other?

TurtleBay Jewelry
04-07-2004, 02:17 PM
Not a bad idea, Barb. I have some stretchy cord myself in a drawer, so I'll give it a try this afternoon.

Thanks!

~D.

beclectic
04-07-2004, 02:26 PM
Not a bad idea, Barb. I have some stretchy cord myself in a drawer, so I'll give it a try this afternoon.

Thanks!

~D.

Actually, it might encourage people to pick up the piece of jewelry. I'm not sure whether that is a good thing :angel: or a bad thing :evil:.

As a purchaser if I pick up a piece and look at it in a mirror against my neck or over my arm, I'm more likely to buy it. On the other hand, it messes up the display. :D

TurtleBay Jewelry
04-07-2004, 02:36 PM
I display my bangles and bracelets on overturned clear glass votive candle holders. They fit right around them and the clear glass gives an extra sparkle. I don't mind if ppl pick them up at all. It's the only way to sell jewelry, IMO.

:)

~D.

Kerensamere
04-07-2004, 10:22 PM
I've always heard that you absolutely should put prices on your work if you want them to sell. Many buyers are too timid to ask.

One suggestion would be make your pretty hang tags with a little extra on the end to write your price. Then, when they buy the piece, they can cut that end off and leave your tag on if they are giving it as a gift. Of course, make sure that your tag has your phone #, email or web address or some other way of contacting you. If someone gets a piece of your work as a gift and really loves it, they might want to contact you to see more of your work! You never want to miss an opportunity for another sale! :D

TurtleBay Jewelry
04-07-2004, 10:41 PM
I always price my work and my hang tags have all the pertinent info about my business. It's not the tag itself I'm having troubles with, it's the string that it's attached to.

~Danielle

Kerensamere
04-08-2004, 02:16 PM
I always price my work and my hang tags have all the pertinent info about my business. It's not the tag itself I'm having troubles with, it's the string that it's attached to.

~Danielle

AHH....Sorry, my brain was on hold while reading this thread, my appologies.

**takes a big swig of pepsi**
:clap: (me doing jumping jacks to wake up)

Now I'm more awake!

Hows this, I use those little bar-bell stickers for pricing my work. Then when someone buys the piece I put it on a card that I've designed with my logo, name, address, email and information about my work and suggested care of it. Then I put the card w/ jewelry in a clear plastic bag. That way the price is on each piece but there are not strings to get tangled AND they still go home with my product and business info. :D

TurtleBay Jewelry
04-08-2004, 02:23 PM
That may work when you're the seller, however, I know merchants selling my pieces in retail outlets won't take the time to do that.

Soooooo..../wink

I'm hope I don't sound as if I'm being difficult...these are just the things I've learned in dealing with shop owners. The more minimal the task is for them, the more inclined they are to deal with you as an artist on the make. ;)

~D.

Kerensamere
04-08-2004, 02:30 PM
That may work when you're the seller, however, I know merchants selling my pieces in retail outlets won't take the time to do that.

Soooooo..../wink

I'm hope I don't sound as if I'm being difficult...these are just the things I've learned in dealing with shop owners. The more minimal the task is for them, the more inclined they are to deal with you as an artist on the make. ;)

~D.

Good point!

beclectic
04-08-2004, 03:47 PM
I would think that for a shop owner the ideal artist would:

Sell their art very cheap to the shop owner, but keep the price up at shows and sales the artist makes to individuals.
Have art that sells so fast they can keep it in stock but can count on it selling in a short time.
Have the artist willing to supply them with whatever quantity they want of each piece, or size or type of item.
Be able to put the item on display and never have to do anything to it or with it.
Have an artist willing to change or fix any piece at any time for anyone.

Does that about sum it up? :D

Wire Mania
04-08-2004, 04:11 PM
Danielle - I also display some of my pieces on upturned candle holders, wine glasses, wine bottle necks...Just wanted to make a suggestion to you...I buy a spool of fabric covered wire (Its in the hobby stores by the flower stuff) I just cut the length I need and thread thru the hole and twist and cut off end..Very professional looking - and way easier.....