PDA

View Full Version : 4 Months On The Torch

Katiefl
04-07-2004, 10:28 AM
Well I am coming up on 4 months making beads. I am truly addicted!! I have 627 orphans to prove it. Well some of them are orphans, some are fugly, some are just, too so so to put on the bay. Sure doesnt take long to get a pile of beads. And there is more in my house, these were just ones in bowls. Now, I have to decide what the heck to do with these, I thought a mosaic. Wonder how many I will have in 4 more months lol. I do have to say, my fugly numbers are coming down some. I think it might be running 1:1 now lol.

beadsbybrat
04-07-2004, 10:41 AM
HOLY CRAP! Thats alot of beads! Those are really good to!
I think a mosaic is a good idea. Or you could break it up into groups of 100 and put them on ebay. Unless your to attached to them. beads are like kids. Or dogs. Either way you get atatched. Although most people would not sell their kids on ebay. well mabye if the money was good. Shipping would be a pain in the butt though. :evil: :D

those beads are great!
keep up the good work!

the brat

StefaniBeads
04-07-2004, 11:02 AM
Wow, that's a lot of beads in 4 months! Of course, what this means is that you have had a lot of PPP so far, and that's great! That's just going to make you a better and better beadmaker! :)

This friend of mine and I started playing with glass 9 months ago, and while I have made hundreds of beads, he is still playing around with his 20 rod Moretti assortment, and has made around only 30 beads! I don't understand that, and he bought a National 8M a while back, so it's not that he isn't serious about it. I told him, you gotta make the time and practice, practice, practice! He does have the time to practice, no kids, no pets, so I just don't get it! :confused:

BrendaJ
04-07-2004, 12:12 PM
Great job. The more you make the better you will be!!!!!!! Keep it up!!!!!!! :D

CorvetteJuliet
04-07-2004, 02:49 PM
WOw! That's fabulous. :) I'm sure the fruits of your labor will payoff in terms of skill improvement. Everytime I see big sets of beads like that in colorchromatic order it reminds me of those 60's door dividers made of beads.... I wonder if one was at the entrance to the lampworking studio it would keep people from sneaking up and scaring the bejeepers out of me? :evil: Very cool indeed. :) ~Juliet

alyoung
04-07-2004, 03:01 PM
This friend of mine and I started playing with glass 9 months ago, and while I have made hundreds of beads, he is still playing around with his 20 rod Moretti assortment, and has made around only 30 beads! I don't understand that, and he bought a National 8M a while back, so it's not that he isn't serious about it. I told him, you gotta make the time and practice, practice, practice! He does have the time to practice, no kids, no pets, so I just don't get it! :confused:

Is it perhaps time?

I bought a National 8M like... two years ago. The amount of time I've been able to put in is still measured in the double digit hours, though -- and almost none of that in the past six months. I've spent a little more time at the kiln slumping, but not like I want.

We're working to change that; we're moving and consolidating/simplifying our lives. I hope that will free up time to read and play with glass!

Congrats on the very large amount of beads. I like 'em! :clap:

Katiefl
04-07-2004, 04:07 PM
Thanks to everyone. It has been fun, I know I have come a long way, and have a long way to go. I tend to be a bit obsessive/compulsive so finding time to do something I love is not a problem for me. Its just way up there on the priority list...Family-Work-Beads :) Beads are trying to pass work. But unless I could ever make a living at it, beads have to come in 3rd. They pushed passed housework long ago already :D

I believe that without this community of such great artists, that are willing to share some of their secrets... I would have given up within the first month. I have never taken a class. Just learned from what I have read here, and Corina's wonderful book. And obviously...tons of trial and error (mostly error).

Oh and I am considering hanging beads in the doorway, but I am far from having enough for that.

Thanks all...
Katie

ValorieCox
04-07-2004, 04:19 PM
Very impressive Katie! Yes, it's hours at the torch and lots of practice with glass that makes all the difference in one's skill level, and you are doing everything right! Truly an inspiration, keep going! :D Val

blazinghussy
04-07-2004, 06:32 PM
Oh please, beads always come before all other obligations. The torch is our mistress and she's very demanding...everyone else will either have to wait or make their own damn dinner ;)

I use my crap beads for fusing projects. I clean out the holes really well, fuse them into a blank and have a blast. The cracked ones work really well for this too ;)

Or, you could dump them all in a bag and take them to bead shops around town, let them pick and choose what they wanted and charge a buck each or .50 or something like that :) I actually had a bead shop owner this weekend offer to buy every crap bead my friend and I had on hand. We told her we'd bring them in next time we make a glass run :)

DebbieSue
04-07-2004, 09:03 PM
Gee, we started about the same time but I'm still running about 3:1. Way ahead of me. Cute tiny head, by the way.... :)

Debbie

Virginia L.
04-08-2004, 02:27 AM
Now, that is what I call, practice, practice, practice...I sure wish I could see them better, I am sure you are getting quite good, after doing all those beads - God Bless - Virginia L.

GreenGurrrl
04-08-2004, 03:37 AM
WOW That is a TON! I bet a mosaic with all of them would look fantastic. I like the variety in them, it's like finding a suprise everywhere you look. Awsome work in such little time, congrats to you! :clap:
Amy