PDA

View Full Version : More fun on the lake

gsb55
04-07-2004, 09:52 AM
This is the second of a series of paintings of a race held last summer by my sailing club.

VeldaJ
04-07-2004, 10:54 AM
Very nice, Gary. I like the way you have zoomed in and concentrated on the figures in the boat.

Marty C
04-08-2004, 12:47 AM
Hi Gary,
Nice detail on yacht and figures and very nice handling of the wake. My only nit is that the water ahead of the boat seems almost mirror calm, where I would expect some ruffling from the breeze. Otherwise a very good work.

JamieWG
04-08-2004, 07:51 AM
Fun indeed. Great job on the wake!

Jamie

shrinkinviolet
04-08-2004, 10:56 AM
Hi Gary,
Nice detail on yacht and figures and very nice handling of the wake. My only nit is that the water ahead of the boat seems almost mirror calm, where I would expect some ruffling from the breeze. Otherwise a very good work.
I agree with Marty. In addition, I would give the lake a bit more color. You can add greens from the trees etc. The water in the shallows is different color than deep water.
Judy

gsb55
04-08-2004, 11:37 AM
Thank you everyone for the comments. I'll work on the water and repost the results. Does the lack of detail in the trees bother anyone? I'm trying to keep the focus to the foregound, the people and the boat and left the area past the boat simple.

Marty C
04-08-2004, 07:28 PM
Thank you everyone for the comments. I'll work on the water and repost the results. Does the lack of detail in the trees bother anyone? I'm trying to keep the focus to the foregound, the people and the boat and left the area past the boat simple.
Hi Gary,
You are on exactly the right track regarding the trees. Plein air painters will tell you that when tackling their subject, they focus in hard on their area of interest and all else becomes peripheral. Thus the focal point gets the detail, the colour and sharpness and everything other than the focal point is lighter in value, few details, soft edges. You could even lighten and blue the values in your trees to push them back and really focus in on the yacht. The trees here are a background reference point only, no detail required at all. Keep up the good work.

mairrca
04-09-2004, 08:35 PM
Excellent detail in the wake. Love the subject matter as well.