PDA

View Full Version : Chinese/Ming Dynasty pottery shard pendants

limamike
04-06-2004, 07:22 PM
OK, I need another source for pottery shard pendants, Chinese or otherwise, wholesale, other than Fire Mountain and Ebay. Anyone have a source? I'm usually a wizard at searching the internet but I'm coming up empty this time.

Lori

beclectic
04-06-2004, 11:36 PM
OK, I need another source for pottery shard pendants, Chinese or otherwise, wholesale, other than Fire Mountain and Ebay. Anyone have a source? I'm usually a wizard at searching the internet but I'm coming up empty this time.

Lori

Any local colleges or universities have degrees in art? Some of their courses may be in pottery, raku, glazes, carving, etc. Check and see what they do with their shards.

Any local pottery companies? Check and see what they do with broken items. Most have outlets that sell their seconds but maybe they don't sell the broken pieces or maybe they sell them by the bag cheap.

You never know till you ask.

I've thought of several places around here that might be a source. I'll call some of them tomorrow and see what I can find out. Ever heard of Louisville Pottery? Wish me luck. :D

Anyway, that is just the shards but if you do fabrication you could mount them yourself or maybe find another way to mount them, wire wrap perhaps. Any ideas anyone?

TheBlueBetween
04-07-2004, 12:08 AM
other than ebay? I missed that when I went digging up this link - maybe you don't know about it though:

http://cgi6.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewSellersOtherItems&userid=betterwriter&include=0&since=-1&sort=3&rows=50

NewCreation
04-07-2004, 07:23 AM
Vikki aka Snootyvixen sells these on her website
SnootyVixen (http://www.snootyvixen.com/)

limamike
04-07-2004, 08:40 AM
I really need a wholesale or direct import source -- I haven't managed to take a silver-smithing class to make these on my own and right now I can get them from Fire Mountain inexpensively, but would like another wholesale/import source.

beclectic
04-07-2004, 08:55 AM
I really need a wholesale or direct import source -- I haven't managed to take a silver-smithing class to make these on my own and right now I can get them from Fire Mountain inexpensively, but would like another wholesale/import source.

Oh well, it was just an idea. I'm going to pursue local shards. I'm thinking about experimenting with Art Clay Silver for mounting the shards. Thanks for giving me the idea anyway. :clap:

limamike
04-07-2004, 10:00 AM
I never thought about using art clay -- do you know of any books or links that would tell me what to do? Good idea!!!!!!

beclectic
04-07-2004, 10:36 AM
I never thought about using art clay -- do you know of any books or links that would tell me what to do? Good idea!!!!!!

Not specifically what to do with pottery shards but there are a large number of links on the PMC thread. These links would take you to PMC and ArtClay Silver sites that have lots of information.

Here is the link to the PMC thread: http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=178967

I was thinking that the shards, if you find some, could be mounted in Polymer Clay as well. I wonder how that would look and work. Hmmmm..... :D

BTW, I've received a reply from Louisville Stoneware(formally Louisville Pottery). Their insurance prevents them from giving away or selling pottery shards. Rats :crying: , but I'm not out of places to contact yet.