PDA

View Full Version : Old Friends

sarakay
04-05-2004, 09:02 PM
Do you all have beads you just can't part with? I was photographing new beads today, and dug out my old favorites. The ones I've never wanted to give away or sell. They deserved to be photographed instead of just scanned.

What are your favorite early beads? I'll show you mine...

sara

Foofaraw
04-05-2004, 09:05 PM
Those are very nice! Unfortunately all of my early beads were stolen by a fired nanny trying to get revenge. Joke was on her because she left her fingerprints and although I didn't get my beads back, I got justice!

sarakay
04-05-2004, 09:17 PM
Those are very nice! Unfortunately all of my early beads were stolen by a fired nanny trying to get revenge. Joke was on her because she left her fingerprints and although I didn't get my beads back, I got justice!

What a crummy thing she did! That's almost as bad as stealing family pictures and negatives. Things you just can't replace.

It's pretty silly, but about five years after I moved to Atlanta, there were a lot of apartment fires reported on the news. I lived in an apartment and was a bit worried that my complex would be next (okay, so that's a little OCD). I put all my really important things in a cooler bag, and left it right by the front door along with the cat carrier, so if that happened to me, I could run out with the bag and my cats. :silly me:

sara

!Karen
04-05-2004, 09:32 PM
Do you all have beads you just can't part with?

Yes, people will not take them, I've tried to unload them, but the folks just walk away muttering :p

Sara,
Yours are beautiful, I can see why you would want to keep them. I really like the first one, frosty!!

Jenn, what a nasty nanny! It could have been much worse though, and glad you were able to get revenge, I mean justice.

:)Karen

Foofaraw
04-05-2004, 09:37 PM
I was living right outside of Atlanta in Cobb County when this happened. I remember all of the apartment fires, pretty scary.

sarakay
04-05-2004, 09:44 PM
I really like the first one, frosty!!

:)Karen
That bead has a big ole honking flat chill mark on the other side and was never annealed. :p And was the biggest bead I'd ever made at the time. I was so proud!

I don't remember how to make any of these beads, except the last one.

Come on, folks, what are your early treasures?

sara

sarakay
04-05-2004, 09:48 PM
I was living right outside of Atlanta in Cobb County when this happened. I remember all of the apartment fires, pretty scary.

A lot of them were just down the street from me! I'd have people calling me saying they'd just heard an apartment in Dunwoody was on fire, and was I okay. Eek! I'd have to go outside and see if anything was burning. :(

Foofaraw
04-05-2004, 09:55 PM
I worked in Dunwoody. I miss some aspects, but New England will always be home to me!

Orca
04-05-2004, 10:24 PM
This was my very first frog, made on day 10. David called him the "Springfield Scissor Toad", and he hangs above my kitchen sink to this day! I kinda like him, hideously deformed toes and all!

sarakay
04-05-2004, 10:33 PM
This was my very first frog, made on day 10. David called him the "Springfield Scissor Toad", and he hangs above my kitchen sink to this day! I kinda like him, hideously deformed toes and all!

He's wonderful! Believe me, I couldn't do that kind of thing on day 10. I could make a round bead, but more than that...it wasn't going to happen. Shoot, I took a beginning beadmaking class twice!

sara

Virginia L.
04-06-2004, 02:51 AM
Hi, I still like these two - Cannot get the glass to disconnect like this anymore, but it was fun when it was a mistake - God Bless - Virginia L.

DrPam
04-06-2004, 03:16 PM
OK, I'll play. These are some of my old favorites. The orange and green alien-looking thing and the monkey are from my very first class--the first and second day I ever torched, and I love them still. The lizard was my first masterpiece on my home torch. Only a mother could love them, and I do.

-Pam
http://www.pamarama.com

Kimberly Affleck
04-06-2004, 04:26 PM
I have a number of old beads I hang on to for various reasons. Some, I just like. Others have problems like chips or misplaced dots. Here are a few:

The first three I keep because I like them. They are some of the only beads I wear. The two blue ones were experiments with silver. The last one was a really nice ornate bicone, but I misplaced a row of dots, and check out that nice chipped end!

Kimberly Affleck
04-06-2004, 04:27 PM
And a few more. Sorry to be such a hog, but it was fun to look at some of these again! The little tab I keep just because I like it. The orange cone is one of the first beads I ever fumed. The purple and green I keep because it is just so darn ugly and the last beads were more experiments with silver.