PDA

View Full Version : Coy fish

Bendaini
04-05-2004, 03:00 PM
I posted these fish (http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?p=2196514) over in acrylics and I would be glad for some help from this quarter. I'm trying to get it to look like the fish are underwater and I'd like any advice I can get :)

shrinkinviolet
04-05-2004, 08:49 PM
Hi Crissy,
I like the composition but there are a couple of things that you need to work on. First, there needs to be more color and values in the water to give the feeling of dimension. You could add some of the greens from the algae for instance. Then, your fish seem to be all at the same depth. You could darken the values on some of them making one fish the center of interest. Changing the values would make it appear that they are at different depths thus giving the feel of the third dimension. Also, try more shading on the fish to give them form and substance.They are a little flat.
I hope that this helps you.
Judy

Leaflin
04-05-2004, 09:04 PM
Hi Crissy :)
First off I love your composition!
You have a good perspective in the positioning of the fish.
There are a few things that I'd like to suggest.
Adding some shading on the underside of the koi will give them more depth, as well as adding some shadows, and darkening the water.
Toning down the fish, and parts of the fish that are further away from the viewer, will also add to the feel of being underwater.
The addition of some reflections in the water will also help.
I played around with your painting in photoshop to show you what I mean.
It's a bit rough, as I'm not the greatest with a mouse :)
I hope you don't mind.

Leaflin
04-05-2004, 09:09 PM
Hi Judy, I think we were posting the same time.

Crissy I don't know if you have done a search in the reference library, but there are some excellent examples of koi in there.

Bendaini
04-06-2004, 01:19 AM
Hi Crissy :)
First off I love your composition!
You have a good perspective in the positioning of the fish.
There are a few things that I'd like to suggest.
Adding some shading on the underside of the koi will give them more depth, as well as adding some shadows, and darkening the water.
Toning down the fish, and parts of the fish that are further away from the viewer, will also add to the feel of being underwater.
The addition of some reflections in the water will also help.
I played around with your painting in photoshop to show you what I mean.
It's a bit rough, as I'm not the greatest with a mouse :)
I hope you don't mind.

Oh I love that idea... Your rendering was exactly what I was looking for to set them apart. Thank you.

Leaflin
04-06-2004, 12:59 PM
:) You're welcome Crissy.
Glad you didn't mind me playing with it in photoshop.

VeldaJ
04-06-2004, 07:09 PM
You've made a really good start on this picture, Chrissie. If you can incorporate some of the ideas posted by Judy and Linda I'm sure it will be super. Don't forget to let us see your progress.

Bendaini
04-06-2004, 07:10 PM
:) You're welcome Crissy.
Glad you didn't mind me playing with it in photoshop.

If I minded I would have to stop doing the same ;)

mairrca
04-09-2004, 10:50 PM
Oh I like this painting and would love to see how you finish it up. Could you post in here when you have finished? Looking forward to seeing the changes that you make.

Bendaini
04-10-2004, 12:02 AM
Oh I like this painting and would love to see how you finish it up. Could you post in here when you have finished? Looking forward to seeing the changes that you make.

I will definitly put it up. Thanks for your intrest :)