PDA

View Full Version : The Procrastination Thread!

Barrie
04-05-2004, 02:15 PM
Is anyone else suffering from this huge problem? Today I'm supposed to be working my fingers to the bone on custom orders, and all I want to do is surf the internet! I don't need anymore inspiration, don't need any more new gemstones, don't need anymore anything - except maybe a personal assistant, but they're so darned hard to find! What I need to do is get off my butt, go over to the bench and work!! Anyone want to pop over here and give me a good swift kick??! I have to admit I don't have anything for the show and tell thread - why? Because I keep putting stuff off. So maybe if I write it here that I'm actually going to do some stuff today, it might get done!!! Okay, so here goes:

In order to chase away the procrastination bug, I am going to finish three custom orders, have the parcels for the post office ready to go at 3pm, and have ring shanks cut for my student to solder tomorrow morning. Let's see if this will work! Anyone else care to add to this?!

Patch
04-05-2004, 02:24 PM
I am in this situation quite often too... and call it Research and Development :evil:
Patch

LLane
04-05-2004, 02:58 PM
Oh Barrie..... I am so in this boat with you!!! I have a big (really big for me... like 60 pieces of jewelry) order and here I sit!!! I was in a class this weekend in Ft. Wayne with Doug Remschneider and it was great.... should come home inspired..... but I'm exhausted and am just doing the web and catalogs!!

Ok.... so I'll take your lead..... and set a small goal to accomplish today... then get back with the work program tomorrow!!!

I just work best under pressure.... so when I have only 3 or 4 days before it's due... I'll probably work 24 hours a day and get it all done! :D :D

Peace & putting things off, :D
Lois

DonnaBee
04-05-2004, 02:58 PM
Thank you Barrie for this procrastination thread! :clap: :clap: :clap:

(I am so unmotivated, that that is all I can bring myself to type, today!)

Barrie
04-05-2004, 03:10 PM
LOL! Here I am again!!! I'm like you Lois, why put off for today what you can put off for the day after!! And my excuse is that I really do work better under pressure!!

Now, having said all that, I'm really, really, really going to the bench!! I'll post prgress pics, maybe that will help! LOL!

TurtleBay Jewelry
04-05-2004, 03:13 PM
/kicks you all in the butts!

C'mon ladies, show me what you're made of! I wanna see three new pieces of SOMETHING for show and tell. If not today, they better be there tomorrow morning! Or else!

/assumes Drill Sgt position

Tennnnnnnnnn HUUUUUUUUTTTT!

No more procrastinating! I wanna see results! If I don't, then I'll....I'll....well, I'll think of something. LOL.

No more typing! Off to your workbenches!

~D. :clap:

DonnaBee
04-05-2004, 03:29 PM
Oh alright....

Just as soon as I finish reading The Weather Channel. It could take hours!

Shirley C.
04-05-2004, 03:31 PM
great thread... i think. i am SO in that mode today - and i have no idea why! it's been quite awhile since i've made stuff and i've got so many ideas floating around in my brain. but here i am, out on the net again... aaaarrrrggghhhhhhhh!! i think i'll go fire up the torch right now - at least i can make bunches of twisties, fancy latticino, cased stringers - without turning on the kiln. i have to take my "peanut" to the vet in a couple of hours, so i don't want to get too involved with anything. (she's got an eye problem - it's sticky gooey runny, and she can only open it about half way.)

of course, as soon as i get away from the computer, i'll find another excuse to procrastinate... :rolleyes:

LLane
04-05-2004, 05:58 PM
of course, as soon as i get away from the computer, i'll find another excuse to procrastinate... :rolleyes:
I'm back to the computer..... but while I was away...................... are you ready for this?........... I took a nap!!! :evil: :angel: ??

Some days just go this way!!!

Barrie.... maybe tomorrow?????

Peace & pillows!
Lois

TheBlueBetween
04-05-2004, 06:25 PM
I've been feeling that way too... I hate doing things when I'm "supposed" to be doing them. I like to at least have the illusion that I do things because I want to. Plus I have a hard time doing things I really enjoy when I've got the guilt hanging over me of all the things I don't want to be doing - undone. I know I could word that better - but I'm tired. I've been working my butt off this weekend doing all these things I didn't want to do so I might be "free" to do what I wanted, but now I'm all tired out.

I've got my baby sitter coming in half an hour so I can go melt glass and I'm so tired :crying: I don't think I'll be able to do more than sit there looking at glass rods and my flame. oh well.

I've always been a procrastinator. I've always worked best under pressure and am always running late. But now I'm burned out from this lifestyle. Will figure it out though.

debkauz
04-06-2004, 03:55 PM
I think I will show this thread to DH next time he comes home and asks what I made today. He thinks that if I am at home, I should be making jewelry. Well, I work 40 hours a week at a stressful job and sometimes I just don't WANT to make jewelry. And, sometimes, the muse has just not come in for the day. Plus, I don't procrastinate...I spend a lot of time on WC looking for inspiration. :evil:

Deb

flynfire
04-06-2004, 07:30 PM
If you're not making jewelry, but you're thinking about making jewelry, and talking about making jewelry, you're making jewelry! It just hasn't come out through your hands yet! I like Danielle's kick in the butt motivational method, too. Like she said. Let's see some of those beauties you do so well!

Rosie2000
04-06-2004, 09:39 PM
I sometimes think that when there is something you gotta do for a gotta order then all the juices just dry up. At least that's what happens to me :confused: Since I started my journey into the creative me I have talked to so many artists that have come up with a really great idea, piece, signature and so on and so on and before they know it they are trapped. They have to make the pieces because that is what sells and that is what people want and that is what puts bread on the table and pays for the supplies. For the most part it takes a lot to keep these people going and inspired cause they have made it and have to continue making it.

At this point in my early ponderings I refuse to do custom pieces. I refuse to do earrings to match a one of a kind necklace. I refuse to make jewelry that is the trend at the moment. some times I do something and it flows then I will do more than one or I will do earrings but only if it flows at the moment. At this point I am doing what I do to please me and if it pleases others so be it. I realize that I need to start turning and letting go of my beauties and I will but not right now. This is a great thread and sorry for the rambling but I am a rambler when the subject is exciting :angel: Rosie

farkel
04-07-2004, 12:05 AM
I gotta tell you all I used to do LOTS of beadwork.....BEFORE I found WC!!!
Now I read more, yak more & work less. Procrastination is now my mode of operation. I got into jewelry sort of as a fluke, just some pins, necklaces and bracelets to raise some money for Cancer Society fundraiser. Then it started, "can you do 2 or 3 in blue" "can I have the earrings to match that one you made last week" etc, you get the picture. All the fun went out of it when I had to sit and string 4 of the same necklaces in one sitting......no more! Now I will just make a few things to buy more stuff and relax and enjoy again.......ummmmm maybe some peyote work tomorrow.
Great thread,
Fran

lissadivamama
04-07-2004, 09:54 AM
Yay, I'm so glad I am not alone in my non-jewelry-making state! I'm really not procrastinating - I did finish 2 custom orders this week and drummed up 2 more, but by the time I go work at my office job for 6 hours, then come home for mommy-time, then do everything else in my house that needs to be done, when I do have time to sit down and work, my mind is so fogged with sleep deprivation, I just can't bring anything new to fruition. Like Lois, I tend to work better under the gun, so since I have some shows coming up in the next month or so, I will get into gear eventually. When I have had the motivation to work, I seem to be experimenting so much that I haven't finished anything - hence, no eye-candy from me in a while, or auctions. Hopefully, all these experiments are going to pay-off soon, and I will produce something new, fresh, and outside the box! :p

We are still trying to get our house on the market, so I keep telling myself that as soon as I am in a new abode, I will have more work-space and a 'actual' workbench to work at, not just my bed, or my dining room table (I'm so tired of moving everything out of sight and away from tiny fingers!) - then..., oh yes, then, will I be able to create my signature, million-dollar design!! ( :rolleyes: :p )