PDA

View Full Version : Twilight's Cloak

Faded
04-05-2004, 01:02 PM
This is 16x20 acrylic on canvas panel. All comments welcome. Thanks
-Faded

VieSaintSo
04-05-2004, 03:28 PM
Fun, very good mouvement :)the only thing bothering me....is the sky's colors that are to straight in lines....not melting together.....hope you understand what i'm struggling to say here.... ;)

Tamana
04-05-2004, 07:42 PM
o O that creamsicle blaze of orange sky against that velvet of blue robe: and that tangerine slice face...

My eyes could stay in the middle comfortably.

nine malic molds
04-06-2004, 11:18 AM
the figure needs to relate more to the background or vice verse. it seems like they where unintentionally done with two different painting styles.

Driftin
04-06-2004, 11:44 AM
Get a clue, nine.....

nine malic molds
04-06-2004, 12:03 PM
Get a clue, nine.....

be more specific driftin, don't just insult me. i am more than willing to discuss my
opinion and to have it changed. sorry that i posted what i thought about the piece. next time i will wait until you post and then post the same thing as you. (faded i am sorry i posted this on your thread i don't mean to take the attention away from your piece)

Driftin
04-07-2004, 11:29 AM
Your pompous and arrogant comment was insulting to start with. Why you would assume a clairvoyance to the inner thoughts of this artist and his "intentions" as to the concept and construction of his piece of artwork is beyond me. But then i would never assume the intentions of anyone. Your negativity is unwelcome and brings up an old addage, If you can't say anything good, don't bother saying anything at all. :evil:

Tamana
04-07-2004, 12:22 PM
This angers me and the only reason I am going to become involved is because, imho, what is happening here involves and relates to the purpose of the forum as a whole more than an isolated discord between two individuals (which I would not interfere with).

Driftin, it is imperative that people be allowed to express their opinions and critique regarding any piece of art that is posted here without repercussion from another member. Correct me if I'm wrong (and I perceive you will) but did Faded (you know, the artist that posted the piece) not specifically say "All comments welcome"? Who are we to put forth judgment regarding another's interpretation of a piece of art, literature, or any other aspect of a person's chosen lifestyle simply because we do not agree with it? Should we conform if they do not agree with our choices?

This forum is not just about encouraging artists, nor is it about patting people on the back and refraining from speaking because you don't have anything good to say, it's about improving the craft though positive critique and suggestions. The input of experienced artists is invaluable here. If you do not agree then enroll in a university and pay tuition for such instruction that artists are fortunate to receive first-hand from this forum.

There are many members here who honestly want honesty (I am one) because their heart's desire is to constantly improve and perfect styles or techniques or application. If you refrain from commenting on my work because you don't have anything positive to say, but could honestly offer a suggestion on how you feel I could improve upon a desired affect, and you refrain from saying it, then is it really best to not say anything at all vs. allowing me to make the same mistake twice? How many times would you allow a person to struggle when you could've offerred the suggestion the first time? And, just because you offer a suggestion doesn't mean that I may agree or even decide to alter my current technique; however, I would surely appreciate and respect you more for caring enough to take the time to share your experience and suggestions regarding an alternative.

Now mind you I've been in this forum for a good while, and I have personally learned who can and who cannot take critiques (even positive) about their work and I simply refrain rather than offend and look for something positive about the post (because let's be honest here, if they can't take constructive critiques and become offended, then all they really want here is a pat on the back and that's fine, everyone needs encouragement); however, I know the person from having associated with them on a personal level. There are more here that truly desire to learn and improve and that can be accomplished via the input and suggestions of others.

From having commented on Faded's posts, and the fact that he continues to post here shows me that he is genuinely attempting to improve his techniques. And additionally, by requesting 'any comments', he is willing to take into consideration anyone else's suggestion.

If you don't have anything to say about a peice because it simply doesn't appeal to you, then that's one thing. However, if you 'could' suggest something that you feel could assist an artist (who may be struggling toward a particular goal you recognize) and don't, then that's an entriely different matter.

So I'll ask you which is worse in relations to art: Not being constructively helpful because it may not be nice? Or, being constructively helpful because you care enough to share your time and expertise with another individual? Time is invaluable and should be appreciated whenever others direct their attention towards you. A good student is always willing to learn something new; and, a good teacher always willing to teach honestly.

And lastly, if the old addage "If you can't say anything good, don't bother saying anything at all" is indeed applicable here, then why did you label nine's (who is a respected member and artist of this community) comments "pompous" "arrogant" and "insulting"? And then furthermore state his opinion is "negative" and "unwelcome"? Are you assuming a "clairvoyance" regarding what other members do or do not welcome in this forum enough to state such?

This is a close-knit, peaceful community. Let's try and keep it that way please. Thank you for your time.

Faded, I didn't mean to hijack your thread but felt it important to interject here. I'm sorry.

bestof
04-07-2004, 12:36 PM
Hello all. I'm new and it looks like I picked an interesting thread to look at. That's a juicy painting, faded. I see you're a fan of Magritte. Is there alot of texture in it? I can't tell from the pic.

VieSaintSo
04-07-2004, 02:14 PM
Tam, thank you.for expressing how the unconstrucive comments of Driftin made me and others here, i'm sure, feel. :clap:
Faded, hope we did not scare you away, sometimes stuff need to be adress fast!
Please keep posting :)