PDA

View Full Version : Monday 4/5 Show & Tell

TurtleBay Jewelry
04-05-2004, 01:02 PM
Good Morning my favorite forum frolickers!

It's sunny -again- today, thank god! It's so good for the soul when the sun shines, let me tell you. Brings forth all kinds of new creative energy. So, I hope the sun shines on all of you today. :)

So lets see. This morning, I've been busy! I made yet another Art Pin for the collection. It's growing! This one is pretty cool, I think. It's called "Twighlight" (yes, I know it's not spelled correctly...creative license. ;))

And then, I was also working on a necklace idea and was trying like heck to learn how to make a new wire cage bead, and I finally got it! So I posted a pic of that as well, since I'm quite tickled that I learned the trick behind those little suckers. The first one took me an hour (!) to make, but the second one went in 4 minutes after I learned the secret. /chuckle

Anyway, happy day to you all!

~Danielle

beclectic
04-05-2004, 01:13 PM
<snip> The first one took me an hour (!) to make, but the second one went in 4 minutes after I learned the secret. /chuckle

Anyway, happy day to you all!

~Danielle

No sunshine, no windows in my office, oh well...

Your pin was a ray of sunshine though, thanks for posting it.

OK, I'll bite, what is the secret of the cage bead? :D

TurtleBay Jewelry
04-05-2004, 01:16 PM
Man, it's so easy, it's disgusting. I racked my brain trying to figure them out, then finally, the light bulb went on. Good thing, too! I was getting worried that I'd lost my intellect at the bead show yesterday! LOL.

Anyhoo, I'll snap a couple of quick pics of one in progress and do a mini tutorial. :)

Back in a few.

~Danielle

snootyvixen
04-05-2004, 01:30 PM
Pretty pin, Danielle, but the copper bead is great! I love it!

I worked on "dainty" this weekend. I got these tiny bead caps in a TierraCast bulk buy, and though there was a little problem with the order and I got the wrong caps - BUT - look at the pics of what I made with them and tell me it wasn't meant to be! I LOVE them! It turned out to be one of those "good" boo-boos!

I love ruby in zoisite, but I just can't afford it, so here's my solution - serpentine and fuchsia Swski. Second is a "bridal" stuyle - 4mm Swski pearls & crystal Swski bicones. These first two styles use the little beadcaps - they are perfect on 4mm Swski bicones!

The third bracelet is "old jade" that I bought from TrashCity eons ago - I figure it's time I started using some of my stash instead of just stashing it! To round it out, I used Swski lt colorado cubes.

Simple, but so dainty compared to my usual stuff!

Vikki

SuzyQ
04-05-2004, 01:35 PM
Oh am I glad to see this thread. I love oogling the work!

Danielle, those pins you're doing are fantastic.

Vikki, those are lovely and yes dainty too.

I feel the need to create with the stash too. I have an overabundance lately and wouldn't you know it the beads prices on e-bay are nice and low lately. It's that time of year and I just can't stand to pass up any lampwork bargains! I really need to get off my butt and learn to do my own. Perhaps it would curb my spending - NOT! I'ld just be buying supplies, lol.

DonnaBee
04-05-2004, 02:04 PM
Hi friends!

Vikki, that is a very happy accident, I'll say! Those are neat little caps! What are they, about 3mm? Very neat little unique touches...

Danielle, "Twighlight" is my favorite so far!

It is still a bit cold here, chilly, but the sun is shining bright, and it is so welcome.

snootyvixen
04-05-2004, 02:28 PM
Hi friends!

Vikki, that is a very happy accident, I'll say! Those are neat little caps! What are they, about 3mm? Very neat little unique touches...

Danielle, "Twighlight" is my favorite so far!

It is still a bit cold here, chilly, but the sun is shining bright, and it is so welcome.

Yup - I think they must be 3mm OD, maybe 2mm ID!! tiny!

Hey, I hear you on the "cold" - we're a bit south of you, and I saw the sun this morning and opened up all the windows, until I realized it really was only 45 degrees LOL!!! Well I didn't want to freeze the chitlins (um, that the "children", not the food!) so I shut them all up again. Still, it's supposed to be low seventies tomorrow, right? THEN the windows will be flung open with gay abandon! (Whatever "gay abandon" is!)

Vikki
Off to make lunch .........

TurtleBay Jewelry
04-05-2004, 02:35 PM
Pffft, it's only 40 here and my studio window is wide open. Hmmm..must be why my toes are cold. /wink

I gotta have some fresh air, so I'm still in my flannel PJ bottoms. Ian however isn't allowed in here, so he's staying warm in the other rooms. ;)

Almost done with the wire cage bead tutorial!

Back soon with it I hope.

~D.

DonnaBee
04-05-2004, 02:51 PM
Still, it's supposed to be low seventies tomorrow,

What? WHAT??? WHAT???

Oh, please let it be so. Off to check the weather channel..

michali
04-05-2004, 04:23 PM
Hi everybody!
This is my first post in WC!
I am a lampworker and a beginner jewelry-maker and I enjoy watching your stuff for quit sometime.
Here are 2 of my new creations: a purple pendant and a collar. Thanks for watching. :)

TurtleBay Jewelry
04-05-2004, 04:28 PM
Beauuuuuutiful!

I love it! And welcome to our little home on WC! :)

~Danielle

beclectic
04-05-2004, 04:29 PM
Hi everybody!
This is my first post in WC!
I am a lampworker and a beginner jewelry-maker and I enjoy watching your stuff for quit sometime.
Here are 2 of my new creations: a purple pendant and a collar. Thanks for watching. :)

Hi michali,

Your second picture did not post correctly because it had an incorrect extension. I fixed it and am posting it for you.

I really like your purple pendant. :clap:

michali
04-05-2004, 04:37 PM
Thank you guys!
What a warm welcome. :)

lisilk
04-05-2004, 05:08 PM
Hi Everyone,

I have been in a real funk since putting my dog down but the sun is starting to shine again slowly. I wanted to thank all of you who sent me caring messages. :angel:

Danielle. I love that pendant. That's the sort of jewelery that I like to wear.
Vicki- Beautiful and delicate !

Michali- Welcome to Wetcanvas and the forum ! I really like that collar.

This is about all I've managed over the weekend. Did these 2 last night. Very simple, stylized columbines. These are on charmeuse silk- 15 X 60.

TurtleBay Jewelry
04-05-2004, 05:19 PM
(((Hugs)))) Li!

Hehe, thanks for the compliments, but I didn't make a pendant...? Perhaps you confused me with the lovely lavender toned necklace?

~D.

lisilk
04-05-2004, 05:22 PM
(((Hugs)))) Li!

Hehe, thanks for the compliments, but I didn't make a pendant...? Perhaps you confused me with the lovely lavender toned necklace?

~D.

I meant the art pin that you made. I love that look.

Cheers,

Li

flynfire
04-05-2004, 09:15 PM
Okay, folks. I enjoy this forum, but I've been afraid to show what I've been making. Everybody is SO good here. But, here goes...(gulp). It's not beads, or spectacular silverwork, it's ...it's...what else? A GLIDER! "Ice Cave" White fortification agate and sterling reversible pendant. I still need help with eliminating reflections.

lisilk
04-05-2004, 09:40 PM
No need to be shy here Flynfire. We don't bite...just an occasional nibble. I like your pendant. The folks in the Photogrphy forum have lots of hints for product photography. You might want to post for suggestions in there.

Cheers,

Li

SuzyQ
04-05-2004, 10:57 PM
Vikki - Talk about "tiny" mistakes..... One of my very first ebay purchases was some sterling round beads. Well, I looked at the macro picture and they looked like a pretty good deal! Boy was I surprised when I opened a package of 1mm sterling beads. Geeze, I could barely see them! And sure enough, didn't the auction tell me what size they were. I just wasn't use to reading the descriptions, lol. Anyway, the point of my story is that you inspired me to make a few delicate bracelets tonight. And I finally had a use for those sterling specks. I'll take some pictures tomorrow morning and post them.

Michali - Wonderful work! It will be fun to see what you do as you progress. Welcome.

Flynfire- don't be shy! Those are wonderful! Keep posting, I love the eye candy.

lisilk - freehand? They are lovely and so colorful for a dreary day.

Sleep well everyone and I'll look for you in the morning.

diva
04-06-2004, 05:50 AM
Hi everyone! A while back I posted (over in the glass groups) about a silver-casting class I was taking; here are some of the results:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/06-Apr-2004/32460-DSCN1133a.jpg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/06-Apr-2004/32460-DSCN1137a.jpg

I still need to finish polishing them, but I've been wearing them anyway. :D

And this spicy set was made with actual spices :) :

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/06-Apr-2004/32460-DSCN1140a.jpg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/06-Apr-2004/32460-DSCN1141a.jpg

lisilk
04-06-2004, 06:01 AM
Diva,

Those are very organic, so sculptural. Forgive my ignorance. Is that some sort of lost wax technique or something else ? You are pressing the spices into what exactly ? These will be gorgeous when polished down.

Nice work whatever they are !

Li

beclectic
04-06-2004, 08:50 AM
Hi everyone! A while back I posted (over in the glass groups) about a silver-casting class I was taking; here are some of the results:

<snip>

And this spicy set was made with actual spices :) :

I particularly like the spicy ones.

flynfire - the pendent is very nicely done and the agate makes a great background for the glider.

Wow, for a slow start Monday turned into a bumper crop of art. :clap:

jennakate
04-06-2004, 12:19 PM
no need to be shy at all.... post what you want, even if it's just a work in progress... we like to see everyone's great ideas and creativity... the more pictures, the better! oh yeah, welcome!

diva
04-06-2004, 02:16 PM
Those are very organic, so sculptural. Forgive my ignorance. Is that some sort of lost wax technique or something else ? You are pressing the spices into what exactly ? These will be gorgeous when polished down.

Nice work whatever they are !

Thanks! :) The spice pendant and ring were cast the same way as more traditional wax models - the pendant was made using spices (star anise, cloves, cardamon and cinnamon) "glued" together with wax; the ring part of the ring was done in wax.

Here's what it looked like when it was all sprued:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/06-Apr-2004/32460-DSCN1106a.jpg

(The roses didn't quite work - I lost most of the leaves and some of the outer petals. We'll see if they look any better after being polished, but I'll probably end up re-melting them...)

mjcall
04-06-2004, 04:27 PM
Many years ago when I was actively casting (I hope to get back to it soon) I went through a faze where I was casting a lot of flowers (also insects and other found objects). I had a close friend who raised orchid and I used his flowers a source. I found that using melted wax and a soft artists brush I could apply a thin coat of wax to both sides of the flower. This gave the flower enough body to not deform while I invested it and gave me a much better surface finish on my castings. It also helped the thickness of the leaves and petals on the finished product, the mold was easier to fill and I avoided thin razor sharp pieces.

Just a short trip down memory lane. :)

M_

flynfire
04-06-2004, 06:59 PM
Diva, the spices are cool!

Thank you everyone for being gentle with me my first time! I'll be more brave from now on. You are all very inspiring.

Cyndi L
04-07-2004, 10:08 AM
Man, it's so easy, it's disgusting. I racked my brain trying to figure them out, then finally, the light bulb went on. Good thing, too! I was getting worried that I'd lost my intellect at the bead show yesterday! LOL.

Anyhoo, I'll snap a couple of quick pics of one in progress and do a mini tutorial. :)

Back in a few.

~Danielle

Where will you be posting this Danielle? I've made those cage beads before, but I don't think I *ever* figured out the trick!!

Here's what I made, and it took me forever...in fact, sometimes, I think I'm still working on it LOL!! It's sterling:

http://www.mazeltovjewelry.com/glacial-sm.jpg

TurtleBay Jewelry
04-07-2004, 10:17 AM
Where will you be posting this Danielle? I've made those cage beads before, but I don't think I *ever* figured out the trick!!

Here's what I made, and it took me forever...in fact, sometimes, I think I'm still working on it LOL!! It's sterling:

http://www.mazeltovjewelry.com/glacial-sm.jpg

Cyndi~

Here's the link to the tutorial: http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=179935

And hey, your cages look good! But I can relate to spending a long time on them if you don't know the process. /chuckle

Good luck!

~Danielle